Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Paintball Photography Offer for this weekend

vlad.nk

Jul 24, 2007
Originally my offer was based on the knowledge that one picture (not in the highest resolution) is for about £3 therefore I said that I think my offer is more then fair. With £35 per tournament picture CD it does not look that good. But I will try to show you that my offer was still a bargain. I believe there is a huge difference between taking pictures on a tournament and being ordered dedicated photographer. You can hardly compare it. Tournament photographer can share his expense within more teams and it results in that incredibly low price for the picture CD. On the other hand he can pay less attention to a team and the chances to take the good moment for a particular team are limited by amount of games. Good tournament photographer will take many good moments but will you be on that picture? Playing half the field on a practice many times in a row and dedicated photographer will have more chances to capture the diving snake guy properly. Still not satisfied with the picture? During the lunch break when the field is free, let's run and dive another 10 times to get it. Do you want some paintballs flying around? Ask your teamate to go to the corner and shoot some on you. Do you want a picture with a paintball spraying over your obstacle while you're still clean? Stay here, you shoot the obstacle on my shout, 6 frames per second, yes you will get the picture. Of course, there is an emotional difference between "live" photo from a tournament and these arranged pictures and again you can hardly compare them. But you can have your moment if you want. And you still have a chance to get many nice in-game pictures like on the tournament. The another question is if there is a market for this. If I think for a while what would be a real price for it, there is probably not. Just a note my pictures on the link are real "in-game" pictures.

Now I will try to answer one by one.

Tempted
I think it is not a matter of being within my rights. It is a matter how to formulate the offer to cover the scenario the best. I could travel anywhere within UK if there would be an interest. What is a single price for a picture CD then? Is it £100 which covers my expense traveling far north as well or is it £30 which covers only area close to me. What if the team has the way by car close to me? Based on my formulation they could have this offer just for £10 (buying me a spare cheap UV filter). I think it is just versatile in this way.

ShimmerShot
Cheers. Well, after the other general response, I'm not sure now if there isn't an irony behind :D

gambo47
Nice you mentioned it. As I grew on a film camera I miss that tension waiting to finish the film, get the prints and going through if there is really any photograph or just re-enjoy passed moments with the delay built up over the time. You are right it is different now. Even I like this digital approach as well I still have that patience from film times. I believe that photos have to ripe for a while prior to be finally processed and published. But it is public incompatible approach.

Rabies
Good post, straight, clear, I like it. You have one angle of view and yes I think you do it wrong;) Let me show you another angle. It is a normal approach in a hobby photography how to learn. You can agree with a girl you need to practice portraitures. She will spend many hours with you just that you can learn your stuff. It is fair at this point she will get final pictures for free in this case whatever the result is and whatever time you spent on them. She gave you her time. This a real practice used. Now let's assume the team would practice regardless picture taking. Photographing costs nothing to them, no expense, no time. I can be just almost invisible. Now include all paintball related variables like camera damage risk. You can include all the postprocessing time as they didn't give you any time. Is it fair now that they would get pictures for free? No. In such a case if they don't have anything else to offer it is fair to at least share costs to capture the pictures (like f.e. in my offer = they travel + partly risk, me whole camera risk and shutter usage). Then they can get pictures for free whatever the result is. Because even sharing the cost can't cover my actual time spent I limited the resolution and wanted the option to use pictures for example for my portfolio (I think I would earn this option more then enough based on my actual time spent). I enhance it even more by offering the refund. I feel it more than fair now. But I can be wrong though.

Once there are money involved it means that team will translate them as how much pictures cost to them. It is why I posted link to my pictures. Based on it the potential team could make an idea at what level I'm at the moment and if it worths the try. If I would find a team(s) we could both potentially end up happy. It would not cost me additional money to take pictures and advance to another level over the time this way and the team could end-up with nicely captured slides for which they could wait years on a tournament.

Additionally it was about taking pictures on a practice which I think it is not that big problem potentially ending up without good pictures. For what I would not have balls yet is if the team would paid me to capture their tournament or if they would wanted to have captured that particular practice for some important reason. This would be a real problem to fail.

onasilverbike
There is no difference as far I know in fps on 40D between raw and jpeg. I think you have to switch off noise reduction for jpeg. Not sure now but it is about 14 raws in a burst. It is enough for me at the moment as I haven't waited for the camera to free up the buffer yet. Till now I had a pretty clear idea what to capture and burst up to 5 frames were enough to cover it. I can imagine that on the tournament trying to fill as many team picture CDs as possible to be able to offer that price it is completely different story as the camera could not be able to clear the buffer fast enough to cover the whole game. I could end up with developing a custom setting to cover it and switch between them based on the situation in the future. Otherwise I prefer raw for the reasons you mentioned. Mainly exposure correction because it is hard to do it during such a fast game - once you have a lot of grass with a red player getting good exposure while in next split of a second your viewfinder is filled with a black player...

Really thank you for your comments about pictures. Yes, his face expression is just wicked. I think it is a good picture because of the content but between us for me it has a technical fault - wrong DOF. Simirarly picture of Jason loading is killed by cut legs. And I could follow up with others showing what is wrong, every of them has something I would like to improve on a capture time. Many wouldn't happen when taking picture without goggle and in a hurry. Thus I feel I need to practice paintball photography a lot. Feel free to find this mistakes or simply what you don't like and write here. I can miss many and it will help me to improve it in the future.

Have I won anything? As I believe now this is probably a longer post then Robo has ever posted :D Hopefully you will get somehow through.

danrandon

randonphotography.co.uk
Mar 4, 2005
leicester
www.randonphotography.co.uk
Some very good points there Vlad, bear in mind i do offer half day hire for £80 and full day for £150 for a team where i will concentrate on them alone for either the morning/afternoon or the whole day. after the game they are playing i switch cards and move to their next field and cover other teams until they are on again when i switch cards again.

You can come to any masters events this year and shadow me with pleasure. the dates can be found at www.uk-masters.co.uk

hope to see you soon, Ask nev from NK about this picture of him diving mid air into a barricade mid game, and you'll see what i mean, not staged posed or set up in any way. grabbed mid game.

Dan

pic below

Attachments

danrandon

randonphotography.co.uk
Mar 4, 2005
leicester
www.randonphotography.co.uk
I also don't want to sound harsh, but...

You want other people to pay you, for you to practise your photography, and maybe to add the nice shots to your personal portfolio? Umm, ok. I'm just getting into paintball photography a little more seriously, but I don't have the balls to expect to be paid to learn the art. Maybe I'm doing it all wrong.
pay me rabies, i will show you the dark side, young Jedi

vlad.nk

Jul 24, 2007
hope to see you soon, Ask nev from NK about this picture of him diving mid air into a barricade mid game, and you'll see what i mean, not staged posed or set up in any way. grabbed mid game.

Dan

pic below
Great picture, you really captured his main feature as I remember it! He was flying exactly like that. I hope I will be able to do masters, I believe some round later in year could fit. I will let you know once it will be possible. Till then I will hone my skills on D7's during lunch break. And again thanks for your help and advices.

Vlad