Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Paintball Photography

AmyStroodle

Jan 7, 2014
Leeds,West Yorkshire
www.facebook.com
always keep a filter on
But if the filter takes a direct impact people have reported the filter shattering and scratching the element; which is apparently expensive to repair but if the paintball just hit the element apparently it won't damage it.

http://img386.imageshack.us/img386/4733/brokenfilter32606vp9.jpg

If I'm on the sidelines can I be inside the netting?

The settings I've been advised to use are 1/500 to 1/800, f4.5 - f5 (No more than F8)

and an iso either 200 or 400

paul colwill

Nov 20, 2013
County Durham
200 and 400 are fine in clear bright sunlight, if you are in the woods where the light can be dim you will struggle slightly to use 200/400 iso at a high shutter speed, which you need to freeze the action, trial and error is the best way to learn, it doesn't have to be perfect straight away.
as for tournaments i would imagine if you are on the sidelines you could poke your lens through the netting and you wouldn't be in the line of fire.
the image of the lens is a shocker, personally if i was to take my kit to a game i would use common sense, bright clothes, make everyone aware of your presence both players and marshalls, pick your moments to shoot, stay away from the line of fire, stand next to a marshall, put your hand up when you move and shout photographer or camera coming through!!! people should not be shooting in your direction anyway if they know it's you, once you get a feel for this type of photography you should know where to stand and where not to and how to interact.

taking a shot to the lens has to be because they were standing in a place that they shouldn't have been, it's a bit of a hundred to one shot as well mind. paintball, 99% of the time is two teams shooting at each other from two sides, if you are gong to stand in between them then you're going to get shot.

AmyStroodle

Jan 7, 2014
Leeds,West Yorkshire
www.facebook.com
I've never actually been to a tournament before so I was going off the accounts I've read online and on loads of photography forums they're really is no right and wrong and they are split on using filters or not. They've posted a fair few of their filters that have shattered and spoke of expensive repairs. :)

Some of the stuff you're suggesting I plan to do and some I hadn't thought of.

Really appreciate you're input and I'll let you know how it goes for me. (Going to a student cup in March.) If I happen to photograph any paintball/woodball or speedball I'll let you know? If you're interested that is.

paul colwill

Nov 20, 2013
County Durham
cool, i would love to see the results that would be great, just remember to stay safe, use yer noggin and a bit of common sense and have fun with it, now go buy that pink tape off ebay haha.
btw, if you are using autofocus and you want to protect your lens barrel from spray etc. i thought of using a wooly sock, just cut the end off and slide it over the lens.

onasilverbike

I'm a country member!
Hi Amy

On the subject of filters: Updated through experience!

See the attached image at the end of the post, that was one of mine, direct hit on the filter, the broken filter smashed it's way through the front element of an £1,100 L series lens!

Personally, I'd rather not have to replace a front element again and experience has shown that even high impact filters degrade when coated with paint.

Covers:

Personal favourites:

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/hydrophobia-70-200-rain-cover.aspx

http://www.lenscoat.com/bodyguard®-clear-back-p-1036.html?osCsid=66971bdf854e5a858993aca9933b1efe

Neither of those are cheap in the UK, I was fortunate enough to get mine in/from the USA avoiding the VAT etc.

Other alternatives can be as easy as cutting the leg/arm of a set of waterproofs, though proofed nylon tends to degrade with time and wear,

Wildlife Watching Supplies make some quality alternatives in the UK, and they are well priced http://www.wildlifewatchingsupplies.co.uk/retail/acatalog/C80-All-in-one-camera---lens-cover---Reversible.html I've used these too.

I also use proper gaffa tape (not the nasty pound shop or diy store stuff) to tape up mode wheel and the focus buttons and rubber grips on the lenses and add extra protection to the camera body, it may be a little ugly but it's effective. If you use the real stuff, as used in the film, TV and photographic industries, it won't leave a nasty glue residue on your equipment when you remove it but it does save your equipment from the white residues that paint leaves when it dries, or you can spend a lot of time cleaning your equipment.

The bodyguards quieten down the shutter noise and protect the camera from knocks, you can find cheap neoprene pouches on ebay too and modify them if you are on a tight budget.

Some photographers cover their lenses with sweat bands and use a towel to shield them, I don't really like the idea of such absorbent materials soaking up paint, or rain, and then being next to my equipment.

Settings:

Most of the time if using a long lens (70-200 with or with out an extender) I stick to a shutter speed of 1/640 this combats camera shake and freezes the action but you can still see balls blurred leaving the barrel and the splash of a hit. A fairly wide aperture, there is nothing wrong with stopping your lens down to f16 or more, though you might loose some sharpness, most lenses are their sharpest around f8. Most paintball sites make pretty ugly backgrounds, so opening up the lens helps by decreasing the depth of field and throwing the background out of focus. As for ISO, easy option is just to set the mode wheel in manual, select your shutter speed and aperture, then bang the ISO setting on Auto, In the woods, movement tends to be a little slower so you can use a slower shutter speed, especially if there is a handy tree t steady yourself against. I also turn off image stabilisation, it can create havoc all of it's own. Set the shutter to burst mode and the focus mode to AI servo, so you can shoot continuously if following a move, or tale single shots of static players. Be prepared to delete lots of files while you develop your style. Select the focus point(s) that suit your framing and remember that with a mask on you might loose some of the view in the viewfinder, so allow for this when framing.

Lenses:

Your 75-300 is an ideal starting point, I'd recommend a 70-200 if you are looking for an upgrade, the non-IS f4 Canon L-series is a seriously good lens for the money http://www.parkcameras.com/112/Canon-EF-70-200mm-f-4L-USM.html , don't get trapped in to thinking the longer lens is best, switch to a wider lens and experiment. What ever you use I'd recommend adding a petal style lens hood, it helps protect from stray shots and knocks, as well as raindrops and lens flare/ghosting etc. As it's bound to get dirty and knocked about a cheap 3rd party one off ebay may be a better option than an expensive genuine one.

You may also want spare batteries and a more memory cards plus comfortable strap which also helps save the original one from getting ruined

Clothing:

Goggles, choose wisely, they need to be comfortable and fog free with a good field of view. I have used Protos, but found, whilst the lenses were excellent, they tended to muffle sounds too much, Grillz, were excellent, light and comfortable, but the lenses are anti scratch coated, unfortunately, the eyepiece of the camera rubbing on the goggles lifted the coating and the lenses needed frequent replacement, my goggle of choice are JT proflex, they are light, comfortable (and customisable), offer a good field of view and can be broken down easily to pack away small. I tried the new Virtue KLRs, they were comfortable but the lens is at and angle, so the camera was pointing downwards while I was looking straight ahead. Peaks can be a problem as they tend to get in the way when shooting in portrait.

A good solid pair of boots or shoes you can wear all day comfortably and offer the right grip and waterproofness/warmth for the conditions, I use lightweight hiking boots or astroturf hockey boots mostly as I find these work well.

Comfortable trousers that offer some protection and allow movement, not unsurprisingly, paintball pants are a good choice.

Hoodies, loose long sleeve t-shirts etc. depending on the weather, A decent waterproof jacket for when it's wet out there. Mostly I wear black, I don't want to be confused as a player, so wearing a jersey isn't, in my opinion, a good option, I don't like wearing hi-vis as I think it's distracting to players and it looks awful in the background of photographs, not to mention it's effect on focus and exposure it you are unlucky to get Dayglow Derek in shot, and I certainly don't want to look to players like a referee. Most of my tops are logo'd and have the word photographer printed on them. My goggles are fairly distinctive too. Even then, I swear some players forget to wear their glasses on field mistake me for the enemy.

A beanie style hat, or a hood, or headwrap. headband etc. is a good idea as is a pair of elbow pads to help soften hits to the forearms, gloves, preferably with some padding on the back of the fingers. I don't generally wear a bounce vest of body armour, but it's a personal choice. You'll want somewhere to put spares and cleaning equipment, a backpack or something that doesn't get in the way when shooting. Oh, and a hand towel or cloth to wipe your goggles etc. down quickly.

Some organisers may require you to wear a specific jersey, bib or vest, this may be hi-vis, it's their field and their rules, always ask first.

Positioning:

You are going to get shot, and it stings more than when you are playing as it's less expected and the adrenaline isn't pumping. Years of playing helped me with choosing spots where I'd get a decent shot and not be directly in the line of fire. Take a look round the field if it's been played already for paint marks and or paintballs on the ground around the netting, this will give you a decent idea of the spots not to stand in. Learn to shoot with both eyes open, the peripheral vision in your non-shooting eye will help to keep you safe as well as picking up action on other parts of the field, if you can shoot with either eye this helps too. I wouldn't recommend shadowing a ref, they need to move and sooner or later you'll both be looking in opposite directions and collide, but do get to know the refs and make them aware of where you are going to be if needs be. Don't get involved in decisions, stay neutral and don't do anything that may influence the game, likewise, don't fraternise with players on field too much.

Achieving the shots you want.

This takes practice, trial and error, a good eye, talent, and standing around on a muddy field getting shot, some of it is learnt through experience, some can be taught, some is down to talent and an awful lot is down to luck. It helps to have some idea what you are working for rather than just shooting loads and ending up with a ton of similar shots. Players love the attention and are often happy with mediocre shots if they are in them, but you need to take shots that you are happy with. Don't be afraid of a little post, adjusting levels, cropping and straightening, etc, adding filter effects doesn't polish a turd though. As above, be perpared to delete/discard loads of shots. Your 550D is more than adequate, you may desire a faster burst speed, but getting splash shots is mostly down to luck, you'll probably get as many with a 550 as you would with a 1DX!

Hope that helps.

Attachments

Last edited:

AmyStroodle

Jan 7, 2014
Leeds,West Yorkshire
www.facebook.com
Hey. :)

Cheers for the reply! Well written and helpful. I'll definatly be taking into consideration what you've said. I'm not sure I'll have the money to buy any of the more expensive protection gear for the camera as I'm also trying to get together my first lot of paintball gear. :(

There's a load of Hoya filters (on the jessops site) and none have HD after them, could I possible trouble you for a link to the ones you use?

Thinking at first it might be best to do as Paul suggested and stick behind the netting for at least the first time I go. (As I've never been to watch or as a player before either) and get to know the rules/ expectations. :) Looking forward to seeing you on the field playing and photographing! :D

Edit: I think I'm going to try the wildlife cover and the filter you suggested. I have a petal lens hood already and dont mind my strap getting dirty as its a stock canon strap. :) Definatly going to wear paintball trousers and a bounce vest. I was going to get a hoody printed with photographer on the back and maybe front as well as a benni style hat with it written on or maybe a picture of a camera. xD Felt like I'd look a bit silly doing it though as people would expect decent pictures from me and I might be terrible. :(

Last edited:

onasilverbike

I'm a country member!
Cheers for the reply! Well written and helpful. I'll definatly be taking into consideration what you've said. I'm not sure I'll have the money to buy any of the more expensive protection gear for the camera as I'm also trying to get together my first lot of paintball gear. :(

There's a load of Hoya filters (on the jessops site) and none have HD after them, could I possible trouble you for a link to the ones you use?
Park Cameras http://www.parkcameras.com/Search/hoya hd/
WEX http://www.wexphotographic.com/search/?q=hoya hd

They are about twice the price of the Pro 1 series, but I think the strength benefit outweighs the price difference. I would use a UV over the plain protector, I have noticed little in the way of degradation of image quality or chromatic or spherical aberration, though, in very harsh light they can affect the contrast and sharpness.

The Wildlife covers are great value for money and very well made.