Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

PGI (uk)

Tonymicjoe

Master Blaster
Thats an awfully good point...

But then the tourney coverage in PGI covers all the big tourneys which attract international or Big team play.

Its a fact that there are more big teams in america, and more big tourneys / international play in europe and america than there are in the uk.

Just because PGI is a british mag, doesnt mean it should give focus to britain when its not really deserving.:D

Burb

#1 Soi Cowboy.
Nov 27, 2001
Middleweight
In all honesty its quite good that they do occasional feature british tournaments.

They rarely feature small tournaments from any other country, france, germany, africa, russia, america.

Before you all rant - Im not saying that the English events are small in our country, but to most foriegn players they wouldnt have heard of Series 2003, or Midlands Masters?? They wouldnt recognise many teams and I know i wouldnt read a tournament review in America with loads of teams i have ever heard before.

Thoughts??

Collier

Arsed?
Jan 2, 2002
Macclesfield
Visit site
Originally posted by Burb
In all honesty its quite good that they do occasional feature british tournaments.

They rarely feature small tournaments from any other country, france, germany, africa, russia, america.

Before you all rant - Im not saying that the English events are small in our country, but to most foriegn players they wouldnt have heard of Series 2003, or Midlands Masters?? They wouldnt recognise many teams and I know i wouldnt read a tournament review in America with loads of teams i have ever heard before.

Thoughts??
No Burb you're right! the events in our country ARE small, lets put out this question which is more respected/known NPPL or Series2001/2/3 ??

I think if there was 1 official league in the UK then the UK tournament scene would get more exposure, as it is though who outside of the UK knows what series200? or MM is?

Just my thoughts,

Paul.

P.S. No offence meant towards series events or MM :)

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Originally posted by Cube

I've never wondered that mate, but then I've never seen an international football game where the likes of Manchester United travel to play Stratford Rangers on the Hackney Marshes.

Summat like you can see in paintball.

Ahhh Cube, if u r gonna step up to this, then at least have the ammunition for God's sake!!!!

The only place the likes of Aftershock, Ironmen, Russian Legion etc are gonna play against the small fry in the UK is in tournaments like the Millennium...which of course, we do cover.
U ain’t gonna see the likes of Dynasty playing on Hackney Marshes...get it ???

Robbo

Ladies and Gentalmen I think there is some confusion here it's not my job to put this straight but I feel it might help:)

Gillie of the 6E chicks has after much consideration decided to lauch PBUK, this is not intended to be detrimentl to PGI at all. Speaking to her when she innitially spoke to me this was some thing she wanted to make clear from the start.

Gillie is dedicated to making the general Public more aware of paintball as a sport and this is part of her personal effort to do this.

This magazine is aiming to give all Uk players more coverage. This is not what PGI aims to do, correct me if I am wrong here, PGI is the best international paintball magazine avalible.

PBUK note UK this is for the UK market by the uk players. Time and time again we have all been gulity of wingeing here for more coverage and it has been stated that PGI is an international magazine and not dedicated to the home market. Thats were PBUK comes in. The two should be complementing each other not competing as they are adressing very dirffrent levels of our great sport.

I hope this goes some way to explain and unravel the confusion

I will not do P8 the discurtisy of posting a link.

ps please note my eddit was an attempt to correct my some what lacking spelling not because I wanted to delete the context.

JoseDominguez

New cut and carved spine!
Oct 25, 2002
www.myspace.com
Yeah, you don't stop buying Hustler, just because they brought out Horse fetishist do you?

Did I say that out loud?

On a more serious note, most people buy a National and a local Newspaper after all, so why is this different? I'd guess that most UK players will buy both. PGI to see the big picture and PBUK to see something that's directly relevant to us. I've got no chance of featuring in PGI (although my top tip did) but I'm bound to get snapped on my way to the first aid tent for PBUK.
Paintball isn't high profile in the UK, but PBUK can change this, just think, next time your trying to explain the sport to a friend who just thinks it's playing soldier, just chuck them PBUK and say, this was last week, this is what we do. A well produced glossy mag with British placenames on the front will be a big attention grabber.
Helloooooo mainstream acceptance.

Cube

M2Q'd eblade or the LV1...decisions, decisions
May 4, 2002
Warrington
Originally posted by Robbo
Ahhh Cube, if u r gonna step up to this, then at least have the ammunition for God's sake!!!!

The only place the likes of Aftershock, Ironmen, Russian Legion etc are gonna play against the small fry in the UK is in tournaments like the Millennium...which of course, we do cover.
U ain’t gonna see the likes of Dynasty playing on Hackney Marshes...get it ???

Robbo
Yes but that sort of proves my point a little doesn't it Robbo

There are other Pro teams in the INTERNATIONAL world other than the US ones and the RL, don't see them mentioned often in trashmouth etc. Facefull does a better job of being truely international in all honesty, but is really crap at being much more than glossy.

I've just hunted through this months PGI arguing with my missus about this and out of 131 pages I can count 6-7 in total that refer to things outside of the US and being cynical I would say that the German indoor got a mention because you and Nexus were there, perhaps I'm being a bit harsh there, I'll leave that to everyone else to judge.

I'm a customer of PGI, I see international I think International, lots of nations, lots of coverage. I actually get lots of US very, very little anywhere else, (not just UK).

Fair Do's there are bits here and there. It's been mentioned here about a lack of coverage of UK events and the answer is that little events like this aren't worth it. Well cheers, big up to the non-US game.

I was personally really diasppointed that the S2002 shindig at S****horpe didn't get more of an mention because AFAIK it was the first UK tourney to be held in a sports stadium other than the Campaign Cup, surely as newsworthy to an International paintball magazine as "When TJ met Tyger"

I could be sad, I could go back through my issues of PGI and work out the relative percentage of International (Non-US) and International (US) coverage but I don't think it would even be close.

Sure all the big names are in the US, sure a lot of the big events are in the US but a page here and a page there offers nothing to the ROW tourney scene and therefore nothing to the ROW tourney player.

There was talk about sponsorship again on this site, why should a company want to sponsor a team outside of the US? It's very unlikely they're going to get a piccy in a magazine even if they win a tournament, because unless it's a millenium event it's rarely shown. Even some of the smaller events, (smaller than NPPL), get mentions in PGI!.

No major sponsorship means it's more difficult to play major tournaments without bankrupting yourself, no major tournaments none of the improvement you keep saying UK teams need to compete. Big viscous circle coming.

I used to read PGI cover to cover, now I just read some of the tech articles and the game guides, perhaps that makes me a disgruntled customer, perhaps I want something different, I don't know. Perhaps I just don't see the big thing about what some US pro-player has for lunch.

This is not the first time this has come up, and I don't think it will be the last but if you are going to use arguments like these maybe the magazine needs a name change, because IMO International doesn't really cut it.

Oh and I know I'm probably going to get launched for this posting, but it's what I genuinely feel as a customer.

Dec 19, 2002
Scotland
n1 sparklie

I agree with sparklie, yes PGI is very very good (cheers guys, keep up the good work)!
BUT we UK peeps need a mag just for paintball in the UK, it'll help promote the game, and gives the UK ballers a chance to shine in articles etc, as we are always out done by our good friends across the pond!!!

PBUK can ONLY be a good thing for paintball in the Uk and i can t wait to be on the front page :cool:

Take it easy all

Mak D

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Cube, when people in the UK want news, they go and buy the Times or Telegraph (or wotever), the news covered in those pages reflects what is happening in the outside world based upon degrees of importance and interest.
Now, international paintball magazines have the same dynamics in trying to cover news that is important and of interest to its reader base, not exclusively those readers based in the UK.

The vast majority of the paintball industry is US based, the vast majority of the worlds top teams are similarly US based with only the Russian Legion being the only Europeans to make a dent in the World's top twenty.
On that basis, is it any wonder the coverage is the way it is, no more surprising than the coverage the Times would give to world events. It’s just that the paintball world is Yankee-centric and not global as is general news.
So, if u wanna hear about the Cleethorpes 5 man, feel free to get the local rag that covers it but u can't criticize PGI for not; just as you can't criticise the Times for not covering the fact your budgie might have died !
Robbo