The Home Of European Paintball

PGI (uk)

Syd (NSPL)

NSPL and Pr0to KotH
Aug 30, 2001
Torquay, UK
www.purepaintball.co.uk
Not the point... surely

Wow! How many times we had this debate b4? PGI is PGI... it covers what it covers and it has earned its place in the market by sticking with paintball all these years and working hard at it (remember those tabloid-style UK reviews?)! Don't complain.. we buy it, we might not love it, but it is well worth a read.

Brown nosing PGI - no. I've got a few complaints, but I won't bring them up on this thread. This thread was started in regards to a new UK paintball magazine. No, it has nothing to do with PGI - some body (6E and Gillie) has decided to take the plunge and see if the UK paintball player will spend an extra £4 (or whatever) a month to read exclusively about UK paintball. Good on them... if they hadn't gone for it, I would! About two months from now (gits!).

Why? Because the UK paintball scene is growing in leaps and bounds. If we carry on at this rate, the USA ain't gonna have enough players to field a 7man vs. 3man against us. Paintball is happening here, in England, Wales AND Scotland... and Gillie & 6E deserve a pat on the back for launching the first REAL Paintball UK magazine. Buy it.. read it... support it. Only good can come from it.

Oh yeah - and for those of you on this thread who forgot to mention the SWPL... get out more. You don't know what you're missing.

Not I ain't getting paid by that mag... you know it makes sense.

Dear Syd thanks for your vote of confedence and support I am sure Gillie will appreciate it :)

She has been working incceantly to get this magazine off the ground and it is looking really good.

Please if any of you want to help then she would like letters and classified adds.

I do not mean to cause offence and I do belive that ultimatley if the industry sticks togther it wil be for the greater good of our sport :)

TJ 2

Sep 9, 2001
Visit site
Some good points all round but

And I'll bang this drum again, peole have got to tell Ant and Joe stuff. If a new US team picks up a player or a sponsor, they tell tha media straight away and often furnish em with pics - if your team picks up players, do you send a release and a pic to PGI?

And I seem to recall a thread over on SYB which went along the lines of 'We all know what tha US teams are doing, but what transfer moves are going down in Europe and the UK? It got zero responses.

I know K2 are quite PR-savvy and they've picked up Flash from Banzai - did you guys send a release and pic into PGI? Ecstasy have gone over to Severe Paintballs from Diablo, yes? Any release and a pic of the team with a Severe banner been sent in? SAD, you guys are all shooting Matrixes now from what I read on the boards...

Anyone getting the picture here?

Sad truth is, like with the tourney reports, a lot of people talk a good magazine piece but never actually get their **** together and send stuff in. Tha Yanks and some of the Euros do.

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
pgi/pbuk

Originally posted by wild turkey maz
I read PGI but I will get PBUK as soon as it comes out too.
Cube's got a point here;it is all U.S. news and although it may be the major centre for paintball right now there is a lot of stuff happening over here let alone the rest of the world.

Well, apart from the obvious that TJ has just stated, a point that somehow consistently escapes most people who moan and bitch, I will ask you Turkey Maz, to tell me, exactly what you think is soooo damn important (remembering the criterion for publishing) that is happening in the UK and the rest of the world that merits coverage for our reader base.
And if you come back with trivia; trivia that could be duplicated in every nation that plays paintball, then PGI would have 164 pages of utter, uninteresting drivel.
Now pray enlighten us all at PGI as to what exactly you think is so newsworthy in the UK and Rest of the World that we don't already cover !!!

Robbo

Cube

M2Q'd eblade or the LV1...decisions, decisions
May 4, 2002
Warrington
Re: pgi/pbuk

Originally posted by Robbo
Now pray enlighten us all at PGI as to what exactly you think is so newsworthy in the UK and Rest of the World that we don't already cover !!!Robbo
Well perhaps something more newsworthy than "When TJ met Tyger"

Actually looking through this months PGI there are 3 pages dedicated to Cal Jam, now forgive me but doesn't that fall into the small tournament category as a US equivalent of the Cleethorps Open? I don't see any of the big pro-teams you mentioned above in that tourney Robbo. Thinking about it the German tourney falls into the same area doesn't it, no 'Lanche, Dynasty, RL etc there was there?

Oh and the big game with Shatner, not that I'm saying it was unimportant, but by your argument surely that's the equivalent of the international football magazine covering a charity keepy-up event in darkest Hackney.

As I mentioned, S2002 at S****horpe was AFAIK the first attempt to get a UK tournament off a dedicated paintball site and into a sports arena other than Campaign. The press were there, Ledz did a write up of the event that appeared elsewhere. Perhaps that rated something.

I think TJ has a good point, perhaps UK teams are bad at self publicity, perhaps people don't write into PGI with event news etc from the UK. But then perhaps they can be forgiven that when the prevailing attitude is UK ain't worth ****!

PGI comes across more as PGUS nowadays and I don't find it that interesting which is a shame.

but u can't criticize PGI for not; just as you can't criticise the Times for not covering the fact your budgie might have died !
Actually I can, I'm a customer of the magazine and I'd criticise the Times if it ignored events from the UK/ROW and concentrated on the US in an attempt to boost its sales over there at the expense of its international brand image.

Perhaps I'm the only person that thinks this way, perhaps I'm not, perhaps I'm the only person willing to put this into writing.

Perhaps, based on the last few months it's time for PGI to change it's name or hold an international events section like a certain other magazine does. To you it may be drivel, but to the rest of us it's what's happening in our country. It'd be nice to think that paintball is played somewhere other than the US.

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
I think I would like to make a point here that needs making.
We (PGI) do not look upon this mag / fanzine as any sort of threat, never have done, never will, we wish all involved the very best of luck.
It will be able to cover things we couldn't for reasons stated many times before.
What niggles us are the small minority who see it as an opportunity to have a dig, an ill-informed and ignorant dig at best.

We know we can't please all the people all of the time, and let's not forget PGI is, and has been, the most popular Paintball magazine in Europe and is now second biggest selling Stateside.
We don’t force anybody to buy it, its got where it is by trying to give readers what it wants to read.
I would think its rating in Europe and the US has told us at least, we are accomplishing what we set out to do.
Paintball has become more and more international over the years and we have had to respond to the changing environment, resist this change and we all end up playing Cleethorpe five mans with not a millennium in sight

Robbo

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Re: Re: pgi/pbuk

Originally posted by Cube

Actually looking through this months PGI there are 3 pages dedicated to Cal Jam, now forgive me but doesn't that fall into the small tournament category as a US equivalent of the Cleethorps Open? I don't see any of the big pro-teams you mentioned above in that tourney Robbo. Thinking about it the German tourney falls into the same area doesn't it, no 'Lanche, Dynasty, RL etc there was there?

Oh and the big game with Shatner, not that I'm saying it was unimportant, but by your argument surely that's the equivalent of the international football magazine covering a charity keepy-up event in darkest Hackney.

As I mentioned, S2002 at S****horpe was AFAIK the first attempt to get a UK tournament off a dedicated paintball site and into a sports arena other than Campaign. The press were there, Ledz did a write up of the event that appeared elsewhere. Perhaps that rated something.

I think TJ has a good point, perhaps UK teams are bad at self publicity, perhaps people don't write into PGI with event news etc from the UK. But then perhaps they can be forgiven that when the prevailing attitude is UK ain't worth ****!
PGI comes across more as PGUS nowadays and I don't find it that interesting which is a shame.
Actually I can, I'm a customer of the magazine and I'd criticise the Times if it ignored events from the UK/ROW and concentrated on the US in an attempt to boost its sales over there at the expense of its international brand image.
Perhaps I'm the only person that thinks this way, perhaps I'm not, perhaps I'm the only person willing to put this into writing.
Perhaps, based on the last few months it's time for PGI to change it's name or hold an international events section like a certain other magazine does. To you it may be drivel, but to the rest of us it's what's happening in our country. It'd be nice to think that paintball is played somewhere other than the US.
Cube, this situation is oh so easily resolved, don't buy the magazine and go off and wait for your little fanzine to come out and read all about Paintball in Cleethorpes.
And also you can spend all your time on Sparklie's little website......Enjoy !!
Robbo

TJ 2

Sep 9, 2001
Visit site
Re: Re: pgi/pbuk

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Robbo
Now pray enlighten us all at PGI as to what exactly you think is so newsworthy in the UK and Rest of the World that we don't already cover !!!Robbo
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>>>>>It's called flavor - we think a mag that was all comment, or all tourney, or all rec, or all tech, woulkd be dull. A lot of people like my column, a lot probably don't...

>>>Well, Cal-Jam was actually a very, very big event and a lot of top Pro players were there guesting for other teams. That aside, there is a 3-page review of the Diablo Cup in the next issue - an event that was A LOT smaller than Cal Jams.

>>>Not at all, we view rec as important - we have rec articles every issue, and an event that attracts that amount of players and has William Shatner involved is big news. PGI is not a tourney mag, it's a paintball mag - same as all the rest.

TJ 2

Sep 9, 2001
Visit site
And also, as I have said before, I think tha mainstay of PGI is and always has been the T&T sections on how to improve/learn more about the game, and also the gun reviews. And these are applicable to ALL players EVERYWHERE.