Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Playing on remote

KillerOnion

Lord of the Ringtones
The reason at the time I quit using one and a main one as to why I don't go back to it is because of the effect the bottle being there has on packs. I just couldn't play small bunkers with it. Nowadays that's not a concern because I play back, but the problem manifests itself again in that it puts half my pods further away from my reach than would be otherwise. When I'm having to pod that often it is accompanied by the fact that I have to POD FAST OR DIE. Fronts don't like their back players taking any longer than absolutely necessary (i.e. exactly no time at all) to pod. If I don't catch paint because I'm not shooting it, they're getting bunkered because I'm not shooting. It can't be better for them to have that problem.

And yes, I too hate that stupid fecking cord. I'm not what you would call the most graceful, coordinated player at times, tripping over just about anything possible and a lot of things that you'd think not possible. Empty pods, shoelaces, dropped shoes, holes in the ground, stumps, squegees, dropped ref's radios--and the list keeps getting longer of things I've stumbled over and fallen, sometimes getting lit up, sometimes not. I don't want my free hand getting caught in it, getting it wrapped around a bunker somehow (Believe me, I'd find a way!), and especially not tripping over it. How? Simple. When down on a knee or crouching, the cord droops and my foot somehow finds it and makes such known when I try to relocate next. I haven't done this but I have seen it done, and I'd rather it not be me who does it next. Oh, and have you ever seen someone getting flogged with a remote hose? It is NOT pretty to have a 400-850 psi propelled, quick disconnect tipped whip mercilessly beating you from behind until you can reach behind your back and calmly turn the tank off. I witnessed this once and it was very VERY frightening. As if 3way hoses blowing off weren't bad enough...

Oh, and I've seen a couple of markers dragged off a table to the ground, bending and denting and scratching a hundred or so dollars off the resale value.

Mysteriousmoose

The moose you never see
Jan 18, 2002
Tallahassee Florida
Visit site
I know a few players that use remotes but they play back. The thing is. Off the break do you want some 114C1 tank bouncing all over while your trying to make it into a snake or something. And what about the run by mugging, accuracy sucks on that anyways, running with your pack bouncing all over as you try to shoot some guy doesn't seem very fun does it. I think remotes will still stay strong in the rec-ball scene but as far as tournaments go.... I think not

Stan

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
I have my autococker rigged up on remote for when i want to play at the back and my minicocker on a bottomlined tank for when i feel like getting up front and personal!

Stretchy, coiled remotes do make life easier than the old style, steel braided hose that i have at the moment (doh)...

There was once a theory put forward by one of the Gardner Bros. that your gun should be as light as possible to reduce any momentum of movement from knocking your marker off line. But, you could look at this the other way in that a light marker can be moved around easier and therefore is less stable... Go figure!

Anyway. After re-reading my ramblings, i've decide that i prefer my on-gun setup:D

KillerOnion

Lord of the Ringtones
3 pods? What business has someone using a remote pack when they only carry 3 pods of paint? Can a 45cui tank be that bad? I don't see how even if you used a Shocker could you possibly need remote for lightening your gun that much more when it has a tank that small. Except for extremly quick and/or sneaky forwards that go in deep and stay down till taking their handful of shots, it's hardly comprehensible that very many people out there carry 3 pods in situations warranting modifying your equipment configuration as drastically as using a remote...but then again I say that mainly because I typically carry 6 at the least, 9, or even 11.

George

Jul 17, 2001
Ohio, USA
Visit site
I think the biggest reason that more people are putting their air system on their gun now is that you can get a smaller and lighter tank, that will hold a higher pressure than you could say six years ago. I used to play up front on an NPPL 10-man team. I had an Air America Apocolypse 114 tank bouncing off my spine. It didn't get in the way of sliding or crawling. One of our sponsors was Indian Springs and they custom made me a pack so that I could wear in on my back (just below my shoulder blades) and not on my butt. This was also when 140 tubes were just being introduced and I was still using 100-round tubes, so the size of my 8+1 pack wasn't that bad, and they made it so that it wasn't hanging out either side of my body to serve as an extra target. I do use an on-gun set-up now and my back feels much better for it. Oh, and for the people who were afraid of hanging up on branches, get a coiled remote, not a steel braided one. For people who say that you can't put your gun down... intsall a slide-check and quick disconnect. And for the people who say that they can't shoot ambidexterously because of the hose, again get a coiled remote... they stretch.