Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

PMR 09 v IONXE + Upgrading

RDSmith_H.T.K

Apr 22, 2009
Hi there, I'm looking into getting my first marker at some point this year. I'm likely to be playing from woodsball/recball into speed ball as well. And in doing my research, the two guns I've taken a liking to are the PMR 09 and the ION XE. From what I can understand the PMR is a more optimum game ready marker, where as the ION XE requires a degree of upgrading to get the best out of it. In terms or price against performance which would you take the opportunity of purchasing and why?

I know I have a lot to learn about markers, and paintball as a whole, but I'm confident that people on this forum and at the sites I go to will be able to help me fill these gaps.

Thanks

SJS

Karma Monkey Spunk?
Dec 7, 2008
North East, Sunderland
PMR 09 every time.
The thing is with the ION, is that you can easily mess it up (not permanently) when putting the upgrades in yourself, such as the QEVs. Yes, it only takes a couple of quid to buy new hosing to fix, but its a pain.
In my experiance the IONs are great markers, but they always seem to mess up and start leaking.

In my opinion you're much better off just going straight with the PMR 09. I think it looks better too.

RDSmith_H.T.K

Apr 22, 2009
Thanks for replying,

I must admit the PMR 09 is the way I'm leaning more and more. I found a package for it but I'm not sure if I would keep some of the parts e.g. the loader and the mask as I already have an E-Vent.

PMI 3K Air System
H18 Tank Cover
H18 Pro Battlepack
5 x 140 Shot Pots
GxG Marker Case
GxG Mask
ER Overdrive DB Loader
Proto Barrel Sock
H18 Pro Blue Fluffy

In addition what upgrades if any would you deem necessary?

ALIHISGREAT

Jan 7, 2009
The PMR as you said is more game ready, but the ION will be more customizable because new bodies will come out along with a huge number of other accessories such as grip frames.

To get a ION ready for speedball you would need:

-board
-feedneck (not essential but it helps)
-ASA (stock one is carp)
-Barrel

so thats going to set you back over £100 even if you buy second hand, but you will be able to build a more custom gun if you get an ION because of the huge number of upgrades available.

JamesH

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
birmingham
my ion is awesome :) out shoot a pmr 09... then again i have spent mega $$$$ on it lol, why dont u go to ur local shop, and shoot them both. which one feels the best for you. dont listen to this is better that is better malarcky on here because its all 'biasd' opinions because that person owns one of the markers.

Trust me go try them out.

If your going big game you can shoot my ion :)

dicksin200

veni vidi vici
Feb 2, 2009
sheffield
new or second hand

are you going to be buying new or thinking of second hand
new
well all the benifits of warranty ect (downside intitial loss of value)

for the same kind of money you could pick up a dm7 or dm8 if you look around lot better marker i know its second hand but in my opinion they are normally well looked after may even end up saving on it as the pmr9 is about £300