Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Pop quiz for Millennium/NPPL judges

Gee

Mar 18, 2002
Reading UK
Visit site
Originally posted by Wadidiz
A player is eliminated and walks off the field. He drops off a couple of tubes of paint next to the bunker of a team-mate on the way off.

Whaddup? [/B]
Theres no specified penalty, but a player must carry off field all teh equipment they had on they when they were eliminated. I'd just pick them up and toss them off field. (The pods not the player)

Wadidiz

EnHaNcE tHa TrAnCe
Jul 9, 2002
Stockholm, EU
Visit site
Originally posted by Gee

Theres no specified penalty, but a player must carry off field all teh equipment they had on they when they were eliminated. I'd just pick them up and toss them off field. (The pods not the player)
Good answer. This is one of a few rules that has no teeth to it. I personally guess this is an oversight and I would lobby for getting a penalty to go along with the rule. I could, as a judge, interpret the rules and deem that to leave equipment (in this case supplies) is in effect playing on and penalize thereafter. The rules state that equipment may be exchanged between non-eliminated players and, by implication, cannot be exchanged between eliminated and non-eliminated player. Therefore the eliminated player in this case is acting like a non-eliminated player, playing on.

Chris TeamJoker

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
1. Elimininate the player, leave her standing there with the flag, and pull the armband of her nearest player as a 1-4-1 for playing with an unobvious hit.

2. As above. If there are no live players left to hang the flag, award flag hang to the opposing team.

3. Get in there, do not call him neutral unless you absolutely must, and check him as thoroughly as possible and then get out with your welts you have taken whilst checking him.

4. Advise the player that he must physically carry the flag in his hand or drop it.

5. Advise the player to remove the stickers or remove the hopper. Not allowed with the hopper on my field.

6. Pull him. He's been eliminated by his own team, and shouldn't have pissed them off last night/game.

7. Pull a 2-4-1 for playing on and pull the remaining 2 players from the offender's team, and award pull and hang to the other team.

8. Assess the penalty as deemed appropriate by the rules. Up here we assess a 50 point penalty for such an infraction.

Wadidiz

EnHaNcE tHa TrAnCe
Jul 9, 2002
Stockholm, EU
Visit site
Originally posted by Chris TeamJoker
1. Elimininate the player, leave her standing there with the flag, and pull the armband of her nearest player as a 1-4-1 for playing with an unobvious hit.

2. As above. If there are no live players left to hang the flag, award flag hang to the opposing team.

3. Get in there, do not call him neutral unless you absolutely must, and check him as thoroughly as possible and then get out with your welts you have taken whilst checking him.

4. Advise the player that he must physically carry the flag in his hand or drop it.

5. Advise the player to remove the stickers or remove the hopper. Not allowed with the hopper on my field.

6. Pull him. He's been eliminated by his own team, and shouldn't have pissed them off last night/game.

7. Pull a 2-4-1 for playing on and pull the remaining 2 players from the offender's team, and award pull and hang to the other team.

8. Assess the penalty as deemed appropriate by the rules. Up here we assess a 50 point penalty for such an infraction.
Now, students, Chris has been a good pupil and answered all the original questions. But he only got 3.5 correct.

Who can tell us which were answered correctly and which wrongly, and what the correct calls are?;)

Chris TeamJoker

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Hey Wad.

hehe. Up here in Canada we play "modified" NPPL rules, and those are the calls that we would be making up here. I know that they don't necessarily correspond to the actual NPPL ones, but it has kept the game alot more honest up here.

Wadidiz

EnHaNcE tHa TrAnCe
Jul 9, 2002
Stockholm, EU
Visit site
Originally posted by Chris TeamJoker
Hey Wad.

hehe. Up here in Canada we play "modified" NPPL rules, and those are the calls that we would be making up here. I know that they don't necessarily correspond to the actual NPPL ones, but it has kept the game alot more honest up here.
You Canadians always have to do everything differently than the yanks, just to prove you're independent.:p

1. Stand her up (if she's ugly) but a 1-4-1's mean since she had no way of knowing she was hit. The Canadian rule is definitely not fair in this case (if it is different). NPPL, etc. call for a simple elimination without penalty for all cases of unobvious hits.

2. Flag immediately goes back to where it came from. No 1-4-1. If it was last player you're right. Automatic flag hang to other team.

3. No neutral calls allowed for flag carriers.

4. The rules say the flag must be carried in a way that does not conceal it. What I honestly don't know is how can you do that without holding it in one hand? So you're at least partly right here.

5. correct

6. 1-4-1 required because player is required by the rules to immediately call for a paintcheck.

7. correct

8. correct

All of these are, of course, my interpretations of the rules.

Steve

Chris TeamJoker

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Hey Wad.

hehehe...Yeah, we do like to be different. These modified rules were brought about in Alberta by one of BL's Ironmen who runs a store/field up here, and an awesome tourney series.

Believe it or not, these mods have made it a very fair game for all, and have curtailed some of the BS which had been going on a few years back.

I have been on the short end of the 1-4-1 rule for a hit on the pack, and watched my team miss the finals because of it. But, you know what? Life goes on. If the refs are doing their job and keeping an eye on the players, and not the game, it usually is not an issue.

As a reality check though, when I ref, I use some discretion when I am reffing the rookie/novice class guys. It allows them the opportunity to learn when they really didn't know that they were playing on. :)

R

raehl

Reading all this...

Brings up one key difference between college rules and pretty much everyone else's rules.

In college ball, you're out when you're hit. Whether you see it, feel it, know about it, or don't know when you're hit, you're out, period.

If you're hit anywhere other than somewhere you could neither see, hear or feel (even if it might have been a nounce, doesn't matter), and you're still playing, that's playing on. That means if you get hit in the back, you can't play until you know you're clean.

Well, to rephrase, you CAN play, but if it broke, you'll get the playing on penalty.

There's two reasons for this. One, even if it's a bounce, the other player hit you - why should you get to keep playing just because you can't tell if it broke or not?

And two, it changes the player motivation from trying to not get checked so they can keep playing to wanting to be checked as soon as possible so they can start playing again.

It's why you'll see players in non-college tournaments just scream "Paint check!" while college players will ask for a paint check and tell you exactly where they think they're hit - they don't have time to waste for the ref to check a buncha spots where they know they arn't hit, whereas in non-college events, you want that ref checking every spot on your body that doesn't have a hit as long as possible.

The only real downside to this change is that bounces are often "good enough" to get a player eliminated if they're bunkering someone - if a player takes a shot on a bunker run, they'll usually prefer to call themselves out on a bounce over pulling a playing-on penalty for continuing to play with a hit.

- Chris

Wadidiz

EnHaNcE tHa TrAnCe
Jul 9, 2002
Stockholm, EU
Visit site
Reading all this...

Originally posted by raehl
Brings up one key difference between college rules and pretty much everyone else's rules.

In college ball, you're out when you're hit. Whether you see it, feel it, know about it, or don't know when you're hit, you're out, period.

If you're hit anywhere other than somewhere you could neither see, hear or feel (even if it might have been a nounce, doesn't matter), and you're still playing, that's playing on. That means if you get hit in the back, you can't play until you know you're clean.

Well, to rephrase, you CAN play, but if it broke, you'll get the playing on penalty.

There's two reasons for this. One, even if it's a bounce, the other player hit you - why should you get to keep playing just because you can't tell if it broke or not?

And two, it changes the player motivation from trying to not get checked so they can keep playing to wanting to be checked as soon as possible so they can start playing again.

It's why you'll see players in non-college tournaments just scream "Paint check!" while college players will ask for a paint check and tell you exactly where they think they're hit - they don't have time to waste for the ref to check a buncha spots where they know they arn't hit, whereas in non-college events, you want that ref checking every spot on your body that doesn't have a hit as long as possible.

The only real downside to this change is that bounces are often "good enough" to get a player eliminated if they're bunkering someone - if a player takes a shot on a bunker run, they'll usually prefer to call themselves out on a bounce over pulling a playing-on penalty for continuing to play with a hit.

- Chris
You've brought up an aspect of the rules which has been debated and discussed for years. There is always going to be a compromise concerning fairness. Fairness to the shooter and the shootee. In some situations it would be unfair for a player to just stop and not be able to defend herself after a potential bounce. But, on the other hand, it would be unfair for a player to "legally" be able to shoot out a player with a valid hit on him.

At first blush I think the college rules sound better in this regard. I've probably forgotten the counter-arguments

I agree also that it should be self-evident for a player calling for a paintcheck to point out where to be checked. Very often I have run up to a player who asked for a check and had to ask, "Where did you feel it?" Sometimes I've felt the players were surprised by the question.

Concerning the hit on the back thing (a good solid hit where it clearly would have been felt), it surprises me how many top pro players haven't, when asked, regarded this as a clear playing-on situation, when the player in question stayed in the game without calling for a paintcheck.

So it does seem we agree on some things, Chris.;)

I'll put in another plug for the 3-strikes rule. More certainty that a play-on move will get caught and absolute certainty that it will be penalized will lead to forced behavior modification. Either that or the player-on'er will sit out a lot.

Steve

Cook$

Just the tip....
Jul 7, 2001
Championsville
1: punch her in the head and say "Get off mah pitch, bitch"
2: punch her in the head and say "Get off mah pitch, bitch"
3: punch him in the head and say "Get off mah pitch, bitch"
4: punch him in the head and say "Get off mah pitch, bitch"
5: punch him in the head and say "Get off mah pitch, bitch"
6: punch him in the head and say "Get off mah pitch, bitch"
7: punch him in the head and say "Get off mah pitch, bitch"