Planet Eclipse Manic Paintball G.I Milsim Tipmann BZ Paintball DYE Paintball Valken Paintball

Poverty

Discussion in 'The Brain Box' started by Dup, Sep 8, 2012.

1. Dup Well-Known Member

Dup
    Message Count:
    So i read this book yesterday (shocking i know) about a study of poverty and some of the things i read, not so much confused me, but made me think, would i do that...

So it basically said, if you give someone living in poverty (in a 3rd world country for example) who lives off of a staple diet of something cheap or something they can grow, like rice and lentals, bearing in mind, they will also sell the produce they make, so their portions are very small... So the people we are talking about are malnourished, poor and live off of the same food daily, and you give them money, what will they spend the money on?

My natural thought was, more food so they can ensure they are always fed.

Boy was i wrong.

I was going to tell you what the study showed, but id like to see your what you think they wanted to spend their money on, because it surprised me a little. And no its not something stupid like a TV or playstation.

Please bear in mind, we're not talking about people who live off the governments money or anything. Im talking about REALLY poor people, like in the slums of India, or people in Africa living in shanty huts, who have alot of children in hope that one of them will live and be able to help provide for the family despite them barely being able to feed themselves. So were on about real poverty here, and not "oh crap i cant pay my gas bill"

2. strafingrun Member

strafingrun
    Message Count:
    go on ill guess booze / drugs

3. Liam92 #16 Reading Entity

Liam92
    Message Count:
    some sort of quick fix like clothing?

4. Tom Tom

Tom
    Message Count:
    That will be the furthest from the truth.

This is in regard to true poverty which is in relation to food & water, clothing, shelter, education, sanitation and education.

The reason a 3rd world farmer will stay close to starvation is so that they choose priorities with the food - feed the children, eat enough to live and have the energy to keep growing. Sell the rest

niallist likes this.
  5. Canon Fodder Go to your brother, kill him with your gun.

Canon Fodder
    Message Count:
    Save it for when things get really bad? If you're borderline surviving it might be best to save it in case of bad harvest.

6. 5amwise Wingnut

5amwise
    Message Count:
    they probably spend it on people that are even worse off than themselves seen as they know how bad it is

7. NitroBall SandStorm

NitroBall
    Message Count:
    Very very unlikely to happen. They would watch others die, and save what they have, family will come first, there is no second.

8. Buddha 3 Hamfist McPunchalot

Buddha 3
    Message Count:
    Gold plated Sig Sauer pistols.

9. Dup Well-Known Member

Dup
    Message Count:
    None of the above :)

although buddah was close.....jokes :)

10. Ricki_diego Ricki diego - Evil Twin

Ricki_diego
    Message Count: