Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Poverty

Dup

Aug 17, 2012
So i read this book yesterday (shocking i know) about a study of poverty and some of the things i read, not so much confused me, but made me think, would i do that...

So it basically said, if you give someone living in poverty (in a 3rd world country for example) who lives off of a staple diet of something cheap or something they can grow, like rice and lentals, bearing in mind, they will also sell the produce they make, so their portions are very small... So the people we are talking about are malnourished, poor and live off of the same food daily, and you give them money, what will they spend the money on?

My natural thought was, more food so they can ensure they are always fed.

Boy was i wrong.

I was going to tell you what the study showed, but id like to see your what you think they wanted to spend their money on, because it surprised me a little. And no its not something stupid like a TV or playstation.

Please bear in mind, we're not talking about people who live off the governments money or anything. Im talking about REALLY poor people, like in the slums of India, or people in Africa living in shanty huts, who have alot of children in hope that one of them will live and be able to help provide for the family despite them barely being able to feed themselves. So were on about real poverty here, and not "oh crap i cant pay my gas bill"

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
go on ill guess booze / drugs
That will be the furthest from the truth.

This is in regard to true poverty which is in relation to food & water, clothing, shelter, education, sanitation and education.

The reason a 3rd world farmer will stay close to starvation is so that they choose priorities with the food - feed the children, eat enough to live and have the energy to keep growing. Sell the rest

Reactions: niallist

Canon Fodder

Go to your brother, kill him with your gun.
Oct 28, 2008
Lancaster
Save it for when things get really bad? If you're borderline surviving it might be best to save it in case of bad harvest.

NitroBall

SandStorm
Feb 20, 2006
Derby
they probably spend it on people that are even worse off than themselves seen as they know how bad it is
Very very unlikely to happen. They would watch others die, and save what they have, family will come first, there is no second.

Dup

Aug 17, 2012
None of the above :)

although buddah was close.....jokes :)