The Home Of European Paintball

PR indeed

Mador

lurkin' in a dark place
Aug 7, 2001
Selby ...near York.
Visit site
Just an idea to the bigwigs in here....

Why not an page once a month dedicated to the little leagues out the be they in the UK,Peru,Germany,USA or Antarctica!....

Be something for everyone then.

Personally I have no idea how you guys are all faring......but would be interested to know.

Our team keeps getting it's botty handed to it on a silver platter....but we still play 'cos we love this sport.

just a thought...

Mador

Tony - Stupid Troopers

NorTees massive!
Jul 11, 2001
NorTees
Visit site
good example...

a good example of the 'little' teams being ignored is Robbo's review of Simply the Best this year. This was the biggest paintball tourney in the North of England, how come there wasn't a page of final standings? wouldn't have taken up much room and would've given every team that'd played a mention.

also no comment of the 2 man tourney at all either, cosidering there was some of the best players in the UK competing in it some mention of the winners and runners-up could've been made. By the way the runners-up were Phil and Si from Stupid Troopers:D

Ralph

BAD TO THE BONE
If your team plays in micky mouse events in the back of nowhere then dont expect to get your name in print It seems fair enough to me.
However Campaign Cup is not such an event but the vast majority of entrance fee paying teams don't even get a mention.
It would be impossible to give a blow by blow account for every game but surly the are (£) 600 good reasons where the complete prelim scoreboard should be printed,thus ensuring that everyone that helped to 'make' the event gets their team name mentioned. It would prove that they helped make paintball whatever it becomes in the future,as they were at the first major arena event held in the uk/europe.
The lessor teams deserve this creditation on their CV's. It could help them get sponsorship and no matter how small it maybe,it all helps.
The local Am/novice sponsor is not interested in what the Man u's of the paintball world are doing. If they were,they would look to sponsor them instead.
At the start of an tournament,all teams start equal.it should end the same way.Everyone who enters an event be it paintball,
tennis,Football or what ever is part of that story.Maybe only a small part but a part none the less

Al Woods

GFH Trouble Maker
Jul 7, 2001
Your 30
www.gfh-hq.com
PERSERVERANCE!!!!

Dudes!!

What's goin' on??

Sid, how you doin' buddy? This is a good debate mate and I think a lot of people will back most of your points about coverage BUT this subject is a little deeper than just a few piccies in PGI. You're right, there are some cracking novice teams out there who are whuppin' ass left, right and centre, the only problem being that the better of the teams hang around in novice for too long, start to whine about recognition (this isn't aimed at anyone in particular, just creating a scene) then lose their passion for the game and get their asses ripped by the next young novice stars with brighter ideals who go the next stage further. The thing is to concentrate on your game, how you want to develop your game and how long you think you'll be learning and growing as individuals and as a team. If you think your games' the best it can be and are wondering why you aint getting recognised then I'm sorry but wave bye bye to that paintball career you fancied. If you're not being noticed or aren't gaining any sponsorship then you're doing something wrong yourselves. Products don't promote themselves and if your product isn't appealing enough to the masses then you need to think about how to change and develop it.

Sid. I don't think I'd be wrong by mentioning your Hall Of Fame in PGI (The Cameronians). That was cool. Some of the Pro teams haven't had a Hall Of Fame, I'd say that would be counted as coverage, wouldn't you? Escarmouche did do fnckin' great at Campaign but didn't get any great reviews, so fnckin' what!! Were you and the boys happy with the result?? You should be and you should be carrying that vibe with you to the next tourney and the next and the next...etc. Use your skills off the field to promote yourselves, talk to people in the industry and I don't just mean " Hi, I'm suchabody hows about loads of free stuff" I mean just chat, make friends with 'em and learn what you can from them to aid your progression. Making friends with other teams and industry bods is the best thing you can do, look at us (K2), we see ourselves as a potentially awesome force in UK and world paintball but we know that aint gonna happen at our next tourney. Yeah we've got loads of sponsors but each of our sponsors are our FRIENDS, not just names behind products and these guys give us honest and positive feedback about how to alter our game. They don't expect us to win the world cup (yet) because we aint good enough yet but our enthusiasm and outlook is on fire and our game is great to watch, we read up on what the pros do in games and try it out, we try crazy moves and breakouts, when it works we rip ass and when it doesn't, tough sh1t.

To get sponsors you need get right in there with 'em, pick their brains, let 'em know how eager you are to learn and to improve, DON'T give everyone the impression you're a bunch of whinin sods who feel hard done by 'coz this won't work. The more people you know, then the more people you can show off to, show 'em what you can do, if you get one guys attention then you'll get another and another and another....and market yourself!! Positively!!

By the way our website will be up very, very soon and is gonna be fnckin awesome dudes, I'll keep you informed.

I agree it is cool to see your photo in PGI (mines near the back of this months, nice blue tint to it SWEEET!!) but to be honest a lot of novice teams and a lot of the am teams have really crap playing style which is dire and boring to watch, let alone read about, so personally I'd prefer to read mags with tons of pro players rippin ass.

Not sure if my babble makes any sense (as usual) but it's a top debate Sid. See you soon buddy.:D

AL (K2)

Sid

Jul 10, 2001
God's Country
www.a1paintball.org
Oh my head

Well just woke up after a 12 hour drinking session and have attempted to read your post Al along with the other chaps, thanks for keeping it real. Heres the thing mate I had to approach PGI and ask for the Hall of Fame, thing is, any team can be in it, just E mail ant and ask if you can be covered then they stick you in, not recognition, more promotion within yourself.

Al, agree with you on some of your war and peace (big posts mate :)) and I too think I have alot of friends in the industry and across the UK teams and even abroad and I think this is cool. I would agree with Mador that might be an idea to look at a Country at a time (State where America is concerned) and maybe profile their Novice and or Am teams.

Also have to agree with Tony about the Simply the Best, how many teams 50+ how many mentioned 4 maybe..hhmm Stupid Troopers are one team that deserve PR for their commitment and way they are improving.

Nive photo Al as well, but the thing is, when most of your mates picked up PGI as saw your photo they probably turned to their friends/partners and said look I know him, thats Al from K2 and he is a great player...blah blah blah...but can't drink soup..;)

See you at the Northern Cup oh and I think Escarmouche are playing....oh happy days.....

Al Woods

GFH Trouble Maker
Jul 7, 2001
Your 30
www.gfh-hq.com
AN EPIC BATTLE

Beg Sed!!

Cheers mate!!

Why do our posts start to grow?? One minute you think "That's a good subject, I'll just say a few words", the next minute WOOOO!!! best selling novel. What the fuc?.

Like I said earlier, this subjects a bit of a killer aint it. Novices SHOULD get more coverage but the thing for me is progression. Novice is the base level of tournament play, you can't really expect to be praised and hailed paintball gods when you aint as good as the pros, we've gotta work towards that. When we become pro and rip some ass THEN we know we've worked hard and earned the recognition, sponsors and coverage. If every one had the same coverage, had the best sponsors and all that jazz then what's the point of aiming to be pro? What I can't understand is why some novice teams have the sponsorship deals that they have, WHEN THEY'RE SH1T!! True, there are some excellent teams out there that are consistent and winning regularly and if these teams are wondering why they're winning all the time but not getting any more respect or glory then they need to step up to am level. Natural progression. If you think you're good enough, step it up. Us for example, there are novice teams out there that have been playing for a hell of a lot longer than we have and are consistently better teams than we are BUT they have nothing to offer the sport. They often play bland, suck ass paintball that aint gonna do the sport any favours when it comes to promoting it as an exciting ADRENALINE sport, we on the other hand feel we have a lot offer with our daft ideas and our character as a team. We didn't want to be in novice because we didn't see the point, we owe it to our sponsors to try hard and play hard in am, you gotta learn the hard way if you want to succeed.

THAT'S IT!! No more war n' peace Sid, see you soon son, I WILL drink soup next time I see you dude. You goin to the Series bash??

Laters.

AL (K2)

Sid

Jul 10, 2001
God's Country
www.a1paintball.org
Maybe aye, maybe no

Al me old mucker me old pal me old chum.

Where again I don't disagree with your points on Novice stepping up to Am and so on (Think we both know some Nov should be Am) where does it take us. Let's look at it, in all honestly I would love to have my team whoop ass and move up the ladder to Am, as you say natural progression, but and heres the thing, some teams live in the heart of paintball country, they have sites, walk on days, shops on their door step, other teams don't. So, let's say for example a Team come from Scotland, let's call them Team X, do you think they will ever make it Am or indeed Pro, nah, why not, well, they don't have the facilities to do so, paintball is not as big in Scotland as it is in the rest of the UK so, as much as I would love to go Am then Pro I can't due to my location. Might be I'm talking bollocks but think about it, you guys as in K2 have taken paintball by storm with your style, attitudes and enthusiasm, but you have so much in your favour, I mean, everytime I have come off the beaten track to go into Planet at least 2 of your boys are there, sipping T...do they not work!! We do try our best, travelling alot of miles per year to play, this year was a bad one for us with Toulouse kinda blowing the bank but next year we are back again. To be honest when I played STB in '99 it was my first tournament in England, since then we have played god knows how many tournaments down South, so, as we go into our third year of 600 mile round trips and 02:00 returns from a tournament we ask ourselves, whats the point...do we get noticed, probably, do we win, not really, do we get PR, again not really....so....why do it, cos I wuv you guys..XX

Babbling here huh, back to the issue at hand, give Novice more PR, can't hurt and might inspire more entry level teams to stick together and make the tournaments a regular thing rather than once a year.

Can't make the bash this year mate, lost my job in July and no one wants to give me a new one!!! So kinda skint, my money from marshaling has to get put aside for kit, tournaments etc so have to do without me in the kilt this year I'm afraid, although, you know me, might sweet talk the wife, or indeed the bit on the side and come down for a beer with me mates.

Take care and good luck to K2 next year, and remember...patience

Al Woods

GFH Trouble Maker
Jul 7, 2001
Your 30
www.gfh-hq.com
I'LLGETYABOOZE!!

C'mon Sidney, If we can get 20 fo us to all buy you 1 beer, maybe, just maybe, you'll get arseholed.

Yake it easy dude.

Al (K2) SUBASAA!!