Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

PR indeed

Ralph

BAD TO THE BONE
Nick,
Why do you have to be so rude and arrogant all the time?
You write to people as though they are something on the bottom of your shoe and to be honest it sucks!
If joe punter can get decent coverage in the mag by attending a field game in sticksville USA,why not the novice/amatuer tournament players who attend big events ? These players just dont make up the numbers at a tournament they make up the majority. All they want is to get their name in print when they attend major events and you reward them with,if you aint good enough,dont moan attitude!!!There should be a balance of reporting so that everyone gets a fair go.
Maybe there should a pro's only magazine but then again why would advertisers bother in trying to sell gear to people that have got everything and normally get it for free in that publication ?
Your sponsors need amatuer,novice,Walk-ons and Big game players to sell their probucts to.In that way you then get sponsored because your 'good enough':eek:
Have a little respect for them no doubt Billy and Adam do

Sid

Jul 10, 2001
God's Country
www.a1paintball.org
I'm not worthy

You know Nick I really hope if and when I do make it I remember my roots and give Novice players hope. You have no idea the sacrifices I make to play paintball, phone my Wife I'm sure she will fill you in. What makes you think you are better than everyone else?

Can you not for once just open your eyes a little and say okay, one page of a magazine dedicated to the small Fish, is it alot to ask, really? I'm not doing this post for me but for how I see it for other teams, think about this, 110 teams in a tournament, maybe 16 PRO the rest Am and Nov, who gets the PR, the 16 PRO thats just over 10% of the teams at a tournament getting 90% of the publicity......hhhmm seems fair to you that the 90% of teams spending the same amount of cash as you, sometimes more get such a small percent of PR?

If I picked up PGI I would read about the little leagues as well as about the NPPL, let me think where do you play, NPPL oh and you are obviously a PRO player with these views, if you played little league you might see our point instead of dismissing it due to economics and sales. Come on, do you in all honesty think if PGI or A.N. other Mag did a one page spread once a month about the little teams that people would stop buying the mag, no, we buy it for it's overall content, so, wouldn't hurt would it.

So as you sit in your tower of greatness knocking everything you disagree with and looking down on the rest of us spare a thought for the players that are making the same sacrifices you made and maybe more and think what can I do to help, rather than I did it the hard way and so will you.

Think this wraps it up can I go back to talking about beer again?

Sid

Jul 10, 2001
God's Country
www.a1paintball.org
Comparisons

Okay Nick here goes, I'll give you a rundown of Paintball in Scotland and hopefully you can give me your words of wisdom. ;)

We have approx 30 players in Scotland with their own kit, this is including my Team (Cameronians). There is one tournament (novice) paintball team that play across the UK and even made it to Toulouse this year yup, tis ourselves again.

When I first started playing in the late 80's it was rec-ball and sites were a plenty in Scotland, during the early 90's there were approx 12 tournament paintball teams in Scotland playing tournaments across the country i.e. Scotland. Highlander, Evolution, Wide Mouthed Frogs, Cameronians to name but a few. We had coverage in PGI through Gary Weston's paint it Tartan..more like paint it Highlander ;)

The law changed in Scotland about '93 this made paintball illegal, at the time the automag and tippman were the state of the art markers and most teams still were using Phantom's etc. Well years went passed and in the late 90's I decided to approach my local site and ask if we could start a team, you know, marshals etc, it was Feb 1999. 2 of the players had been down to Planet and bought RT and Promags, the other 3 had the trusty merlin and thunderbolts, we thought that we could do well against these markers with pumps as we had been away from the scene for so long. After about 6 months of promoting the team and trying to get friends together we had a 5 man team using mags. We then just worked hard from there. We bought our own Sup' Air field in 2000, the only one in Scotland and started to promote paintball as a sport. This encouraged players to come to walk on days (the ony walk on days in Scotland using Sup' Air) and try the sport away from pump markers and woodland. From that there are now 3 teams in Scotland however only one so far makes the trips for tournaments, Cameronians. Celtic Warriors and Purple Heat (Ex Cameronians) are hoping to make the jump to tournaments next year, which is a good thing for paintball and Scottish Teams. So, we have no Pro or Am teams to teach and train us, we play against the same people all the time and as you know it's like you know where Davie will go and so on, so really you can't learn as you know their style.

So we have about 5 sites across Scotland maybe 6, none of them have walk on days as such although we use our local site to train, i.e. barrels and stuff, you know, snap shooting, long balling etc. We have 1 tournament paintball team that has been together for nearly 3 years. We have no stores in Scotland, although me being unemployed would love to open one as I see paintball in this Country on the up and see an oppertunity.

We have about 8 tournament players, mostly under our banner.

We have only just got paintball back into this Country after the legal stuff and we are evolving and learning all the time.

Kit, well most of my team and indeed the other 2 use Angel LCD, Shocker, Bushmaster and Impulse, so although we are not getting the results we do have the kit, just not the facilities as explained eariler.

As for phoning my Wife, well, she might actually enjoy you calling, she doesn't get out much :p

So me old mucker, as much as we will have to agree to disagree on this thread (for now), I appreciate you accept we could get some more PR and yes, I will agree PR has to be earned but the thing is, even when teams earn the right to PR it is sometimes overshadowed by PRO PR.

Phew.......back to dreaming of being a pro.

TJ 2

Sep 9, 2001
Visit site
You wanna know what I think?

(Hey, screw you at the back, I'm gonna tell y'all anyway.)

You're all spolit. You all get sooooo much coverage it's untrue.

After pball, my passion is mountain biking, and I race a lot, do alot of enduro events at a pretty good standard. Have I ever seen my name or pic in a mag? Nope. Will I ever? Highly unlikely. Do I really care? Not a whole bunch...I read the mags for tips, advice, gear info and to keep informed.

And that's what I want in PGI - sheesh, the whole mag should be about improving your technique, about tactics, about opinions, about product, about news, with maybe the odd lil' write-up for big ol' tournaments. Tournament reports by and large are dull. Period. X beat Y beat Z yaddayaddayadda.

And Sid, what's up with the 'I had to ask to get my page in PGI' moan?

YOU GOT A PAGE TO YOUR TEAM IN THE WORLD'S LEADING PAINTBALL MAG! How cool is that? And you ain't satisifed? Jeez.

When Flashpoint started out I got hold of a pro photographer, paid him to come take shots of our team train, and then sent em to the magazines, all captioned up, saying that they were free to use them as and when they wanted to illustrate articles or whatever. And guess what? They used em, our name started getting in print, then we approached sponsors with mags and said 'look, that's us, in this big ol' mag - your logo could have been here'. And we got sponsorship. And so it began...Moral? Do it yourself man, do it yourself, don't just bitch.

And as for someone who said teams who don't get coverage just give up, that's bull. You love something you do it for that love, not for recognition. If you give up playing cos you don't get a picture of yourself in a magazine, that's waaaaaay sad.

And Manning, I remember the Green Dragons from the NAAPSA Worlds a few years back...nice guys.

Sid

Jul 10, 2001
God's Country
www.a1paintball.org
Quiet at the back

Nah kidding TJ, I have played paintball for 12 years and no, not to get my picture in a mag but cos I love it, well, all I'm saying (not moaning or bitchin) is that maybe it would be nice to see some small faces...that's all....gggeeezzz....this is getting a long thread, someone please say something controversial so we can have a new debate.;)

Manning26

(girly giggle) TJ thinks I'm nice! Hee hee.
How about this, I believe within the next five years only American teams will be allowed to play in the pro division of any league. For a team to play amatuer A, they must have atleast a half roster of yanks. Amatuer B is unaffected. This will be done to keep the action and talent at the top, and to leave everyone else to writhe in their own mediocrity. I see this as the only way we can gain any recognition as an authentic sport. Whaddya' think Sid?:D

Sid

Jul 10, 2001
God's Country
www.a1paintball.org
I heard Candadians

Hey Manning, I heard Canadians as Yanks all THINK they are better than us, come on, you all want to be Scottish or Irish so, give it up for the boys across the pond......see you when I sign for your Pro Team.

Sid

Jul 10, 2001
God's Country
www.a1paintball.org
Told you

See, I can tell mate, the Scots and the Irish have that connection thing going on. So were you born in Ireland or is it your great great great great Grandad's uncles best friends dog was raised there ;)

Catch up later mate and hey, told you all pro teams needed a bit of Celtic Blood, bet you would be surprised how many USA Pro teams have our blood in them...think they would give us PR or sponsorship....hehehe...:D :D

C ya in the bar soon me hopes mate