Planet Eclipse Warped Sports Manic Paintball Just Paintball G.I Milsim Tipmann BZ Paintball DYE Paintball

Pro Divisiion Outlook

Discussion in 'Gold Board' started by Blowfish, Sep 28, 2005.

1. Robbo Owner of this website for my sins ....

Robbo
    Message Count:
    Re: watching

I really don't give a **** Tj coz in the end it's all talk from board-rats.......and for the most part, that's exactly where it will stay :rolleyes:

2. Baca Loco Ex-Fun Police

Baca Loco
    Message Count:
    Gonna be lots of peeps at Miami. Friday night while all the players are tucked in for the night or Sunday night when they's all out partyin' would it be impossible for captains to sit down somewhere and simply talk. No need for some secret cabal or any committment to anything--just a conversation to see if it makes sense to pursue common interests.

3. TJ Lambini New Member

TJ Lambini
    Message Count:
    Re: Re: watching

You don't give a **** about putting something together that could stop illegal and dangerous guns? Is that all 'board talk' too?

C'mon, I don't get it...now's tha time, never been a better one for many reasons, and you know it.

4. Robbo Owner of this website for my sins ....

Robbo
    Message Count:
    I'm fast approaching giving up giving a **** about what should or shouldn't happen in this sport of ours.
    Give me one day in control of this frikkin sport and I'll sort the crap out no problem, I would rely on maybe three peeps to help me out and it would be done and dusted by close of play.

Chances of that happening?

About the same as a donut surviving on Piper's dinner plate for more than three seconds :rolleyes:

5. Tricky Retired Gun Whore

Tricky
    Message Count:
    Sounds like a good idea and should help in the big leagues but it still won't stop instances like at campaign where Rodney Squires was playing div 2, and Olly Lang div 1, when both should be locked to pro really.

Only problem with a locked roster in the pro leagues as suggested above is that it wouldn't be binding except within the league, for example:

Player A wants to change team, his current team say "no". He then turns round and says " right then I'm not playing for you". Team has to find another player anyway so may as well let him go.

If its not a contract then player power will still rule I think.

Just a thought, please don't kill me!. :)

6. TJ Lambini New Member

TJ Lambini
    Message Count:
    If there is only one major league in tha US next year, and tha Millennium is affiliated to it, it'll work just fine.

7. Tricky Retired Gun Whore

Tricky
    Message Count:
    Good point TJ, If all the major leagues subscribe to it or become affiliates then it'd be great.
    Whether or not all the major leagues can in fact work together is a discussion for another thread me thinks:)

8. Rocky Knuth Naughty Dog

Rocky Knuth
    Message Count:
    Been quietly reading!

1. Players union: There has been talks many times between captains, promoters ect.... As a "union" of pro's we all couldn’t agree on anything (just go to one of our captains meetings). To many hidden agenda's and the way the pro league is right now, to many people BACK stabbing each other scrambling for there piece of the pie. If we tried to get something changed as a union every team would have to participate. If there was a dispute between the so called "union" and a league the only power as a "union" we would have is to go on strike. Well that wouldn’t happen, look who sponsors the teams and owns the leagues (manufacturers). 90% of us are DICTATED by or sponsors--period--. Unless you have a really wealthy independent from paintball team owner (I can only think of 2 teams) this union system would not work.

So far I personally don’t think that the leagues that I participate in would need a "strike" to make changes. There are some minor things that could and should be changed but that whole another discussion.

One thing that scares me about future is complete Dictatorship by ONE league.

Example: (Purely Hypothetical) –You can construed this as you like, BUT I’m not stating that this is one of the current leagues or one of the current leagues is going this way.

League "Y"
    This would be a league that is owned or ran by one or so paintball manufacturers. The way this league is structured 99% of our sponsors (either team or league) are PB companies. So once League “Y” gets a big OUTSIDE sponsor like Nike, bud, Toyota, the need for inside industry sponsors will be not necessary (inside industry sponsorship is small compared to a huge sponsors mentioned above). So what happens? Do the pro teams that participate then have to use there brand: marker, barrel, paint, goggle ect….. This would defiantly SUCK.

Who knows what the future holds!!

Roc

9. BigbOYALA2 New Member

BigbOYALA2
    Message Count:
    Well said.

TJ, why are you so quick to assume that the PSP ain't gonna be around next year? Your crystal ball might need a lil recalibration...

10. Ty C. New Member

Ty C.
    Message Count:
    Ok, so I have read this thread since the beginning and I am relieved to see that their really are educated paintball players out there.

Now I think that a players union is something that could be interesting to paintball. Unions have helped both business and sports in america, especially in there infancy. The idea being to protect the masses (players) from "big business". However we also see how unions become bigger than the league. Look at all the strikes we have because of the players union not coming to a new agreement with the leagues. Look at the NHL last year. As a player, the last thing i want to have to deal with is politics and the posibility of not playing.
    Now in the case for a players union, who would it really benefit and to what extent would it be taken. Would it be NPPL pro only, NPPL and the NXL or would it be all paintball players say d2 and up. Do we incorportate it to all leagues and at what point would it become so big and the players ask for so much that the promoters and sponsors tell us to go screw.
    So out of all of this I do think their are still many questions but the discussion is at least heading in the right direction. Robbo said before that he thought it was just board talk, which is probably true. But there are some decent ideas here and some educated people discussing them. Maybe this will eventually lead to better organization among players, teams and promoters.