Planet Eclipse Manic Paintball G.I Milsim Tipmann BZ Paintball DYE Paintball Valken Paintball

Pro Divisiion Outlook

Discussion in 'Gold Board' started by Blowfish, Sep 28, 2005.

1. Baca Loco Ex-Fun Police

Baca Loco
    Message Count:
    Here's a prediction for you--without benefit of Mama Lambini's crystal ball--with or without reunification we will rapidly see the Pro League's current disparity reach epic proportions wherein most of the teams aren't competitive and a small handful of monied elites dominate while the bottom half will run red in negative accounting irrespective of promotion and relegation. At some point the league will accept that its own health is tied to the sustainability of the teams generally and act but once again whatever action is taken will be calculated to the benefit of everyone else first and then the teams.

2. Craigy Team Sedition

Craigy
    Message Count:
    player restriction

I think this one is easy to enforce. player A playes for a WDP team player b players for an Empire team. Its in their intrest to keep their players. And since most of the pro teams play in both leagues the sponcers/leagues can and should enforce a roster lock.

As Rocky said we cant even get all of the team captains together at 1 event much less agree. The only way a union would work is to have an outside "union" person to take up the task, someone that dosent represent any 1 team. and then we vote on things. I guess....

I was talking to a friend last night who is in the screen actors guild or SAG. I think the way they get paid and the money gets filterd down makes a lot of sence. I am sure they dont always agree on everything, but then they vote on it. This is possiable! With the help of people who run and operate unions. I also met with a guy a few years ago that runs the welding union, he said their is a company that will help set things like this up. I will try and get some info. and post it, or send it to you guys. And maybe a union isnt even the right way, but at least its something to look into.

3. shamu Tonight we dine in hell

shamu
    Message Count:
    If you're looking at SAG or other unions, what you want is a professional players union, independant of team or league affiliation. For that, you just need the majority of the pro players to agree to be represented by the union, then the union to start negotiating changes with the league and teams.

of course, then there's union dues, strikes, corruption, collective bargaining and all the other joys of being in a union...

Personally, I think that's putting the cart before the horse, as a players union assumes there's a counterpart for the union to negotiate with.

but hey, what do I know?

4. Craigy Team Sedition

Craigy
    Message Count:
    I agree 100%, so what have I as a team owner/captain been doing? Do I just sit back and accept it? That I can only be a middle of the road team and just accept that Dynasty and XSV will always finish better because the league and the sponcers give them the most? :rolleyes: no I have been doing things all year. Such as the Vanity Fair, we just filmed the Bobby Filet BBQ show. And I am suppose to be filming a segment for the Adam Corolla show. My point is I can use this to go after OUTSIDE sponcers. Putting together a real resume that the "real" world will accept. These are silly things to us as players but to the corporate guys this is huge, call it selling out or call it a step to intice the corporate companies that can help us all.

Or I can stomp my feet and throw a fit and say its just not fair??
    Hell I know most of the people out there dont even know who we are! Who the hell are these guys and why are they here. But we are here, and we as a team have to make the best of it. We are the 3rd fastest growing xtreme sport. Why cant we take advantage of that? These corporate companies are now starting to take intrest, they see potential for marketing for them in turn will start helping the teams(in theory). At least in my recent experience..

blah blah blah

what to do where to go............??????

5. Rocky Knuth Naughty Dog

Rocky Knuth
    Message Count:
    Craigy,

Good points! I wish I knew where we are going. I just know that we as paintball player athletes are missing the boat and are not realizing our full potiental.

Example:
    I did a commercial for a NON paintball product not to long ago. I was there with a Professional Motorcross rider and a Professional Skate boarder. We where all considered "action" athletes, I represented lets say the "pro paintball player" and the other athletes represented there perspective sport.
    It was really eye opening talking to those guys about there sponsorships, salary and the way they generate income. We are SOOO far away from that its not even funny. As a sport we need to be opened up to the main stream (I will say its getting better, we --paintball players-- are being reconized more on the outside world than ever before.)

TJ,

I never said that the PSP was going away (I would never put my foot in my mouth that bad in public forum :)~)
    It is pure speculation on a HYPOTHETICAL situtation (didnt you read my disclaimer...hehehe).

That brings up another TOTAL thread... Which league? why? and whats happening?

My opinion is something big is going to change, and it has to. I dont think the manufacturers, teams ect... can continue to completley support both....... Exspecially if both leagues go to a 7 tournament schedule (did I say that?).

6. Baca Loco Ex-Fun Police

Baca Loco
    Message Count:
    Not silly at all, Craigy. It's about time some peeps starting seeing (and chasing) opportunities outside the traditional pball avenues. Way to go.

7. Rocky Knuth Naughty Dog

Rocky Knuth
    Message Count:
    Craigy,

When you do go for outside sponsors make sure you spell sponsor correctly :). I'm no spelling "B" champ by any means, BUT you gotta spell the word right :p

8. Nick Brockdorff New Member

Nick Brockdorff
    Message Count:
    Paintball teams are a LONG way from realising any of the things people are talking about in the latter part of this thread.

I don't know of a single paintball team that has attracted a major corporate sponsor from outside paintball, without it being a favour from someones dad or close personal friend.

At the moment, paintball teams are in a completely codependent relationship with the manufacturers in the sport - who just happen to own the leagues as well (or at least control them).

It will not be the teams that break this mold, because corporate sponsorships HAVE to start with the promoters (i.e. the manufacturers).... they are the only ones with the tools to attract those sponsors - namely the leagues.

Promoters will continue working to generate media coverage - in order to gain corporate sponsorships for their leagues - making them more profitable.... and only after that happens will the teams start to be able to make their own deals.

- And that will be the moment we see things change in the higher echelons of paintball for real... because at that point paintball manufacturers (who are still also the promoters)... will start to see their control of the teams slip away, and not until then will the teams be able to speak freely and in unison.

Pro Paintball is WAY too political at the moment, for any team or players union to succeed.... and the teams do not have the opportunity to change that yet.

Now - this may sound like I have something against the manufacturers or the promoters - but that is not the case.... it is only natural to exercise a power you have to protect your investment... I would do the same... so I'm only writing this to make clear to everyone that you are 2-3 years early for any plan of a team union to succeed.... only when corporate sponsors have found their way into the sport in a major way, will we start to see things shift around.... until then, any efforts in that direction are futile.

The ONLY way you would make a team union work sooner, would be if you had it include ALL the teams in the leagues - because that way the influence of the heavily sponsored teams would be diluted.... but the logistical problems involving that would make it nigh on impossible to pull off.

Nick

9. TJ Lambini New Member

TJ Lambini
    Message Count:
    I assume nothing bro; I think reunification under tha NPPL banner is a genuine possibility, maybe even over 50%, but there are still a couple of pretty big ****ing flies in tha ointment.

I also think we'll hear some interesting tales that have a bearing on it today, or maybe tomorrow...;)

10. TJ Lambini New Member

TJ Lambini
    Message Count:
    This help?

http://www.p8ntballer-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=51767