Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

PRO VS PRO Superleague

Baca Loco

Ex-Fun Police
Originally posted by Robbo
Seems to me that if I was an NPPL pro team and had to choose between the NXL and the inherent diffculty in getting into that as against the Superleague and it's potential for TV coverage (Fox Sports) then it don't take much serious thought at all....or am I missing something ?
Yep, you are. Do you want to be a potential NFL or an XFL team to put it in football parlance? That's the likely equation here and if it is nobody yet knows which group will end up on which side of history. But a) nobody over here gives a rat's rear end about Euro teams--not in any future spectator sort of way, and b) the way the Sport is displayed on TV makes a huge difference in its future appeal. If the 6 shows on Fox are highlight half hours they may certainly attract attention and generate initial interest but it's limited long term, IMO. If it's hoped that it is simply a foot in the door so to speak all well and good but the ultimate choice for teams seems to me like it will come down to who the teams believe will be the most successful in the long haul and what sort of PB they want to play.

I also have serious reservations about the format and the direction it seems to be going but I could be wrong. I'm sure I've been wrong before, just can't recall when . . . :rolleyes: :D

D

duffistuta

Various points

Originally posted by Nick Brockdorff

Duffy:

Do you stand firm at that view, if the requirements were playing at least 6 events, and 3 of those across the Atlantic ?

I believe the requirements for taking part could be set at a point where only 16-20 teams world wide would want in the first year, and the rest spend a year in Division 1 trying to gain promotion.

Nick [/B]
Nope, but then I don't believe that that will come to pass, and if it does, I don't believe that there are 8 Euro teams who can/will manage it.

As I think I said elsewhere, it's time for Millennium to forge its own destiny without paying too much mind to the States. As Baca says, the US teams/market do not, by and large, give a rat's ass. Europe should reciprocate.

If I was a betting man, I'd bet on Nexus and Russian Legion trying their luck in the NPPL next season, and the bulk of the rest of Euro's Pros signing onto a Euro-only Superleague (that doesn't preclude them from playing NPPLs should they choose to) which has provisions for the odd US guest team somehow. And I don't think there will be too many of those at many Euro events in 2004.

Just my 2p's worth...

Baca Loco

Ex-Fun Police
While I'm at something else occurred to me. This vaunted TV option is NPPL dependant. It's their deal. Got nothing to do with the SupaLeague or the Mil Series or the Euros at all. Just what does the NPPL need the Euro connection for?

At Vegas the NPPL chose to cut out the non-Pro teams from the high profile field thinking to give essentially all the glory to the Pro teams. It was roundly criticized by the participants as being contrary to the conception of the league as for the players, by the players--and was changed back at Chicago. If the NPPL goes to a SupaLeague top of the heap inclusive event separate from the rest of the tourney how are all the non-S-League kids gonna feel about that?

And here's a harder question--an unpleasant question even, but one that probably figures in the consideration of US teams--What is WDP's future, hence that of Pure Promotions? In the worst case scenario how does the NPPL survive without them?

I can see how this general idea is almost a must do for the Euros but I'm having a hard time seeing how this particular proposition necessarily benefits the NPPL or how it is, sight unseen, a no-brainer for US teams.

D

duffistuta

Well Duffy

That would just make it all a complete waste of time.

>Not necessarily.

What is the difference between a European MS run "Super League" with the odd US team guesting - and playing Pro under the current format ?

>Just format.

Granted, we can fiddle around with the format and make the game more interesting to us the players - and the odd spectator or two....... but without this being a world wide league, I don't see it making it onto the tv screens in any significant way in the next 3 years....and by then, NXL will be synonym with paintball anyway to the viewing public.

> I disagree

In that case, we would be better off just throwing in the towel and play X-ball - and reap the benefits of being associated with the NXL that will be televised in the US !

>That is not a dead option.

I'm not saying the above would be my choice Nick, but I have a hard time understanding what the NPPL gains from any link-up. They have stuff to lose but very little to gain.

And Euro-televising is not US-dependent - there are other avenues, and who's to say they are not being courted right now?

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Originally posted by Baca Loco
Yep, you are. Do you want to be a potential NFL or an XFL team to put it in football parlance? That's the likely equation here and if it is nobody yet knows which group will end up on which side of history. But a) nobody over here gives a rat's rear end about Euro teams--not in any future spectator sort of way, and b) the way the Sport is displayed on TV makes a huge difference in its future appeal. If the 6 shows on Fox are highlight half hours they may certainly attract attention and generate initial interest but it's limited long term, IMO. If it's hoped that it is simply a foot in the door so to speak all well and good but the ultimate choice for teams seems to me like it will come down to who the teams believe will be the most successful in the long haul and what sort of PB they want to play.

I also have serious reservations about the format and the direction it seems to be going but I could be wrong. I'm sure I've been wrong before, just can't recall when . . . :rolleyes: :D

Paul, I ain't missing sh!t, I am fully aware of everything you just said, it's just that it comes down to a difference of opinion that is all.

gaff

www.hired-killaz.com
Mar 12, 2003
'in ya face baby!'
wow.....i go away for 2 minutes and come back to some amazing and objective views.

i never even thought of the stateside views on this, and i can believe that they dont give a rats a$$, why would they, they already have a TV deal on the table!

?????mmmmm......theres a quandry!!

D

duffistuta

Not just that, they have 6 episodes of their existing format being televised in a couple of months time.

Now, if you were just about to have your last season televised, would you bowl straight into a format change - without even knowing how the US audience is going to respond to the programmes that are about to hit the screen?

I am fully aware of the arguments why NPPL might be willing to make that leap, but personally I would be loathe to change a format that I had already managed to secure a good TV slot for without at least waiting for the first show's ratings...

gaff

www.hired-killaz.com
Mar 12, 2003
'in ya face baby!'
Duff

We have to chose between the PSP and the NPPL..... and I believe that Europe will be the determining factor in the end - the League that has Europe under its wings, will eventurally win.

Nick
providing we do it right and as one Euro body, not 10 or 15 different bodies!

and that we all work together domestically for the good of paintball! (domestically i am refereing to Euro land)

sjt19

May 23, 2002
Visit site
Various points

Sam:
Your input is not appreciated..... Unles you change your name to Laurent, Sergei or Ged. :rolleyes:
Thanks Nick, i didnt realize that it was against forum rules to be interested in something and voice an opinion.:rolleyes: I wasnt trying to have any input, it would be arrogant of me to even suggest that anyone important would be taking any notice, but should that exclude anyone from voicing an opinion? Even you?

:rolleyes:

Wadidiz

EnHaNcE tHa TrAnCe
Jul 9, 2002
Stockholm, EU
Visit site
Well Duffy

In that case, we would be better off just throwing in the towel and play X-ball - and reap the benefits of being associated with the NXL that will be televised in the US !
Originally posted by duffistuta
>That is not a dead option.
I've been meaning to say that for quite awhile. MAYBE X Ball is the way to go!

Millennium still has the scoreboard. And a little more expertise in running the games compared with last year. And a person that might could be talked into running it again.:D

I'm balance right down the middle about the two formats. With X Ball we would be tying in with something tried and proven. And my understanding is that there will be some fine tuning that will further improve the format and make it more interesting. Again, look at the World Cup. It sure looked like a success to me.

But, whatever format, something needs to be decided soon. No more status quo. And, above all, it must be done right, in a high-quality way with proper infrastructure and world-class judging.

Steve