Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Proto Rail

DirtyDownSouth

Dec 4, 2014
Looking at getting a Proto Rail as my first marker for two reasons.Price being the first and the 2nd is because they seem easy to maintain.Is this the case and what are peoples thoughts on the Rail.Would it be a suitable marker for a first timer?

Sid Sidgwick

Tinkering ain’t easy
Great market for a first timer. My advice would be as follows...

Buy second hand as you get some amazing bargains, but buy from a reputable seller in here as they will have looked after their kit.

Do your research, read the manual and watch some tech videos on YouTube to see if you think are capable of looking after it and maintaining it (although they require little, just a clean and lube of the bolt after a day's play)

If you can try before you buy, go to your local site and see what people shoot, try their guns out and see what 'feels' best for you.

Pick a budget and stick to it. Many new guys buy really expensive guns and gear and leave no money to actually play the game with. Paintball is an expensive hobby do make sure you have finance to buy paint and actually get to use your gun.

No question is a stupid question as its better asking first then doing something stupid and getting stuck with the consequences.

Reactions: DirtyDownSouth

DirtyDownSouth

Dec 4, 2014
Thanks for the quick reply. I have watched a fair few tech videos and they seem fairly easy to maintain as far as applying lube etc. Was looking at a new marker as I had thought I wouldn't get stung with a new marker that I could return if I needed to. Im trying to buy all my kit 2nd hand but it is the marker and the bottle im still thinking of buying new. Just looking for a Proto Rail marker,dye rotor and a 4.5k tank.

Sid Sidgwick

Tinkering ain’t easy
If you have the finance to buy new and still play that's good, although you will make a huge loss when you come to sell the gun. Second hand saves you a fortune and buying good second hand kit from a respected seller in here is ok just make sure you know that the gun has been maintained. I'd advise asking for a shooting video of a second hand gun prior to spending cash.

DirtyDownSouth

Dec 4, 2014
If you have the finance to buy new and still play that's good, although you will make a huge loss when you come to sell the gun. Second hand saves you a fortune and buying good second hand kit from a respected seller in here is ok just make sure you know that the gun has been maintained. I'd advise asking for a shooting video of a second hand gun prior to spending cash.
Thanks for the advice and I do see what you are saying about the loss when coming to sell up.Seen a fair few markers for sale around the £200 mark (2nd hand that is) but the Rail seems to be a good starting point.

The Artful Dodger

Dec 8, 2014
It is but my advice would also be buy 2nd hand from here,you'll get a marker in s different league for that money,and it shouldn't lose much value

DirtyDownSouth

Dec 4, 2014
If you were looking at 200, you would be better off spending that amount on a second hand Dye 12/13 or a Planet Eclipse Geo 2/2.1 they are a major step up on the rail and would be like driving a Porsche rather than a mondo for he same monies.
Are these markers harder to maintain as I don't want to jump in at the deep end with not being able to maintain my marker.Found a Rail for £100 posted which could get me started.Sorry for all the questions but I don't want to waste money and buy right the first time around.

Sid Sidgwick

Tinkering ain’t easy
Good morning. All markets are pretty simple to maintain, just make sure to read the manual before you do anything. all both require is a clean of the bolt and a relube regularly to keep them going. There are plenty of tech vids on YouTube to guide you through the process.

£100 posted for a rail is a good deal though and will see you through your first year of paintball before you decide to upgrade to a better gun. You won't lose a great deal of money on the rail at £100 either as its resale next year will still be close to that.

DirtyDownSouth

Dec 4, 2014
Morning Sid, since you have mentioned the Dye 12/13's im now thinking should I hold out and spend a touch more on something better. Seen a Rotor so I might get that first then in the new year get a 2nd hand marker.Just want to get out there and play,also very keen on the big games like North vs South etc.