The Home Of European Paintball

Ps3 ylod

Adamantium

Modfather
Oct 25, 2006
London
www.tech4.tv
Anyone else had it/fixed it?

So friday evening, im kicking ass on Black ops, and the ps3 just turns itself off. Try to turn it on, and i get 3 beeps, a faint yellow light and then a permanant red.
Its a BC 60 gig version, one of the first, as i had to have the BC and Card reader.
I let it cool down after reading its a hot issue. Nothing. So i heat up as i hear that you need to do 'the hairdryer trick' on it. then let it cool down, nope nothing. (supposedly melts the solder on the mother board, as its cheap as chips stuff, and sorts it out)

I called sony who explained that its a general hardware failure and as over 90 days old they can take it, but charge me, and send me a refurbished model. - No, your ok sony im just going buy a new one, as i don't want a palm off that was probably a YLOD that they have fixed and then sent to me.

Did you also know you can only use your psn name on 5 ps3's then thats it, you have to start over? You also only have 1 video log in too, and once you have used that, if you get the YLOD your fooked. no more video from purchases on the playstation store.

So i took my £400 paperweight apart, and got my disc out of the bluray player, and ordered a new 320 Gig Slim.

Bit pissed off really, as i didnt even know it existed until it happened to me - so keep an eye out guys, clean your consoles inside and out, keep them free of dust, as they think that this is a factor. - not the only one but it will help.

Ads

Oct 5, 2002
Sauf Koast
Yeah i think your right glenn,it was the gadget show. Sony said only they could fix it so the gadget show set some guy up in a tent in a town center and was fixing them in 5mins!

Adamantium

Modfather
Oct 25, 2006
London
www.tech4.tv
Well I'm about to put mine on eBay, comes with brand new hdmi lead and brand new rj45 lead, it's a 60 gig, but if the price is right I throw in a 250 gig HDD. If you want it and can fix it and sell it on, it's your call...pm me.

basktm

Dec 14, 2010
somerset
Anyone else had it/fixed it?

Did you also know you can only use your psn name on 5 ps3's then thats it, you have to start over? You also only have 1 video log in too, and once you have used that, if you get the YLOD your fooked. no more video from purchases on the playstation store.

Ads
Their is a way around this mate, well the 5 system thing anyway.

but you need access to the systems you have logged in on, which means the YLOD one is out :tsk:

what you need to do on the ps3's you have logged in on, (why you would log in on so many i have no idea :whistle: ;) )

Go to xmb and go to account management.

Scroll down to System Activation. Click on it

Click ps3 system, Game. Then deactivate. This bit is important

Hope it helps.