Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

PSP West Coast Open 08-10 Aug 2014

frobinson

#14 Din Eidyn
Oct 25, 2011
Edinburgh
It was nothing major, he just said that the system was flawed and needed revamped.

I've said from the start that I don't like the champs/challengers system. From a spectator point of view, without stat-taking or webcasting all the challengers games, it detracts from their "pro-level" title. It's like it's just another divisional bracket, which is a shame. The parity between pro teams these days is so close that every event we're seeing top level teams get knocked down and newer pro teams prove that they can hang with the best.

One bad event can completely take a team out of the race for the overall title. I mean, coming into WCO, Damage was ranked in 3rd overall. I'm a big Damage fan but they've done awful this year, barely avoiding relegation at previous events. I just think that we're at the point now where the champs/challengers has served it's purpose and the PSP is ready to go back to a big Pro division. It's just rubbish that you can support a pro team who get knocked down and you know you probably won't get a chance to watch, follow or support them at the next event unless you're physically there. Infamous is a great example. 1st place at Dallas, knocked down then end up in the situation where only Infamous or Art Chaos would go back up. I'm not saying that it was wrong, it's just a rubbish system.

And now at the WCO we have Infamous steamrollering everybody (did anybody watch their game against Topgun? It was ridiculous) in challengers instead of redeeming themselves against the teams they should be playing. And yet again, we have the same situation where either X-Factor or Aftershock won't be competing in the Champs division at World Cup because they are set to play in the Challengers semis. I just would prefer to see the PSP pro teams that I support, have the ability to do rubbish at an event and redeem themselves at the next, rather than be stuck fighting their way back up.

I'd love to hear a survey of what the PSP pro players actually think of the system. I personally think there'd be a lot of them voting against the current system...

Reactions: lettucecheesecake

Milky

Jan 20, 2004
www.ukasylum.co.uk
I'd love to hear a survey of what the PSP pro players actually think of the system. I personally think there'd be a lot of them voting against the current system...
Why should it be up the pro players ? they would just pick whats best for them as an individual of course all the pro teams would chose to stay pro and not risk ending up in challengers. But as a fan i think the ups and downs of this year have been fascinating. teams we all thought were bullet proof crashing and the new kids on the block getting the chance to take there shot at the Champions Division. Yes its a fast turn around rather than averaging the 5 events its a a snap shot.

Its giving teams and players that would of never got a chance to take a shot and put some life in to teams that have been coasting.

pro players are not the best people to decide what is best for the sport as a whole that is a much more complicated and evolving situation usually best left to the promoters who have to balance the players fans sponsors and the industry at large. Pros don't pay the bills of the league. we the fans do

frobinson

#14 Din Eidyn
Oct 25, 2011
Edinburgh
Why should it be up the pro players ? they would just pick whats best for them as an individual of course all the pro teams would chose to stay pro and not risk ending up in challengers. But as a fan i think the ups and downs of this year have been fascinating. teams we all thought were bullet proof crashing and the new kids on the block getting the chance to take there shot at the Champions Division. Yes its a fast turn around rather than averaging the 5 events its a a snap shot.

Its giving teams and players that would of never got a chance to take a shot and put some life in to teams that have been coasting.

pro players are not the best people to decide what is best for the sport as a whole that is a much more complicated and evolving situation usually best left to the promoters who have to balance the players fans sponsors and the industry at large. Pros don't pay the bills of the league. we the fans do
That's why I said I think it's served it's purpose.

Maybe you're right, maybe it shouldn't be up to the players. However as a paying spectator, I would like to see it go back to the older format.

I personally think the SPL/CPL format that mills use is a better solution. With 2 divisions which are very much pro divisions with the movement happening at the end of each season. Just my opinion anyway.

frobinson

#14 Din Eidyn
Oct 25, 2011
Edinburgh
Aftershock and Infamous both losing their semi-finals challengers games :( So X-Factor and Revo into Champs for World Cup

frobinson

#14 Din Eidyn
Oct 25, 2011
Edinburgh
According to SocialPBs facebook, there's a rumour that Infamous threw their game against Aftershock so that they would play Revo instead of X-Factor today. I don't know if I really believe that but it is an interesting point. Infamous looked pretty flawless in their game against Topgun so even though I'm a Shock fan, I was surprised to see Infamous lose 7-4 to Shock (wish it was on the webcast, would have been a good watch!). Got to wonder what happened with them against Revo. It's like Infamous didn't know what to do when someone slow-played them on this layout

frobinson

#14 Din Eidyn
Oct 25, 2011
Edinburgh
don't joke, for reals?
haha yeah. If you get the chance, make sure and watch the Heat vs Dynasty relegation game, it's really good. As is the Infamous vs Revo game. Everything I wanted to happen (Shock and Infamous bump back up) has gone wrong so far today so I'm reckoning Tampa is going to get pumped just so karma can total ruin my day (and my fantasy team).