Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Question about SKY

extremelimo

Apr 12, 2004
South Wales
allstretchedout.co.uk
Fao Skeet

Hi Skeet, quick question, I live 9.2 kilometres from my exchange so cannot get broadband:( , I believe you can use your Sky dish to receive satallite broadband,whats your views on this and can you suggest any co that are any good. I am in Npt,South Wales
rgds
Mr Bling

Booti

suicide blonde comin thru
Aug 18, 2003
Manchester
Hi Skeet, quick question, I live 9.2 kilometres from my exchange so cannot get broadband:( , I believe you can use your Sky dish to receive satallite broadband,whats your views on this and can you suggest any co that are any good. I am in Npt,South Wales
rgds
Mr Bling
I dont think you can get broadband thru your sat dish....how would you upload the data ?

Skeet

Platinum Member
rgds
Mr Bling
Satellite Broadband is possible and not as costly as it used to be..sadly..not something I am qualified to comment on...Google is your friend:D

However... ADSL, IS something I am more than qualified to comment on.

Regarding Sky, they seem to be offering a decent package.

2 Meg fixed connection is free I think (subject to connection charge), up to 8 Meg rate adaptive is £5 a month and ADSL2 up to 16Meg rate adaptive is £10 a month, as someone said.

Most exchanges can offer the free and £5 service...fewer can offer the up to 16Meg.

SKY, generally are pretty unhelpful *******s...not sure about their Broadband side though.

OddJob

Photographer
Oct 28, 2004
North Essex
What is ADSL2, and how does that work,
rgds
Simon
Its a newer and faster option of ADSL which requires BT to put in new hardware to the exchange. It allows for greater line speeds, up to 24 meg I believe when they enable it, and allows a slighter increase in the distance from the exchange which is obviously interesting for you. Exchanges are slowly being enabled as it does cost them money, so thus they are starting with the places with larger populations first and so on. Might be worth giving them a call to see if there are plans for yours or not.

Skeet

Platinum Member
Its a newer and faster option of ADSL which requires BT to put in new hardware to the exchange. It allows for greater line speeds, up to 24 meg I believe when they enable it, and allows a slighter increase in the distance from the exchange which is obviously interesting for you. Exchanges are slowly being enabled as it does cost them money, so thus they are starting with the places with larger populations first and so on. Might be worth giving them a call to see if there are plans for yours or not.
ADSL2 is upto about 12 Meg, ADSL2+ is the 24Meg connection.

Works the same way as ADSL...just better:D

ac86

Jul 18, 2006
anyway, am i right in saying that i need to feed the sat dish to the SKY box (using some decent coax) and then output from the SKY box to an aerial (RF) based splitter box to distribute around the house ????
in the last house i done i ran 2 RG6 to sititng room TV from a cupboard, 2 to main bedroom and 1 to each other room. TV aerial coming in goes to same cupbaord along with 4 feeds from sky dish. now, all needed there is to just re arrange cables to suit different setups. (so far they have one sky box installed, and this is in cupboard)

ac86

Jul 18, 2006
mmmmm youve nearly got it mate nearly ;) warehouses and offices can be wired in twin & earth (i profer trunking conduit and single cores for such jobs)
but......... a ring circuits will be wired in 4mmm in ware house/factory/office etc but your house is only in 2.5mm and if you have a really really really old house there is a chance of that horible 1.5 rubber stuff kicking about

rings dont have to be wired in 4mm in factories etc.... they can be wired in 2.5 same as houses.

and what exactly is wrong with multiway adapters anyway. they have a 13A fuse in the plug. now, if there stupid enought to replace this with a nail, then they are probably stupid enough to come up with some other way of this. i.e a 3 way plug in adapter with no fuse. you could then (in theory anyway) connent 32A into that one socket (39 in total, but the MCB is probably rated 32A) and overload the socket, since there designed for max of 13A between BOTH outlets