Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

question bout money??

Buddha 3

Hamfist McPunchalot
why is new paintball gear so expensive in britain? just been watching the financial news and £1 is us$2.03. so with this in mind why do these products cost us so much?? I mean compariatively to the us.

cheers
b
Easy.

Most paintball gear has to be imported to the UK from the US. There lies your first and biggest problem.
First thing you need to do is get the stuff here. Now while paintball is a multi million dollar/pound/euro/beads and mirrors business, it is a small business compared to "real world" businesses. Meaning that the size and bulk of paintball shipments are comparatively small. And in transportation there is a simple rule: The more product you transport, the cheaper it gets per product. Sure, shipping a container across the Atlantic ain't cheap, but it's cheaper than mailing 3000 guns individually.

Okay, now you have the stuff sitting in a customs warehouse, this is where the real problem starts. The UK is part of the EC, so your rules on import tax are about the same as the ones in my country. We pay some 14% import tax on paintball equipment, you may pay a little more, or slightly less.

Now the wholesaler has his product and is ready to sell it on. He adds up the base cost of the product with the cost of transport per product, the import taxes and adds a little bit of profit. After all, he has to eat and pay for his overheads too.
Then it gets sold on to the retailer, who also has to pay transport to get the stuff, which will be higher per product compared to the wholesaler, as he doesn't order in the same large numbers.
The retailer also works out his base cost per product, adds the cost of transport and adds a little profit as well for the same reasons as the wholesaler.
Finally, the end price goes up by 17,5% (19% in most of the rest of Europe) because of that lovely VAT.

So yes, prices are higher than in the US, but the retailers ain't ripping you off mate.
And while you may bitch and moan about the crazy amount of taxes that we pay in Europe, look at the bright side. You won't be refused admittance to hospital because of a lack of insurance, which does happen in the US. Every cloud has a silver lining I guess...

The problem with the 'average' wage is that it takes into account the multi million city earners which obviously boosts the figure.

I would go into mean / median / mode but I have forgot everything aquired at school except for playing up.
Actually they would probably only sample the gaussian distribution of wages.

Also this test doesnt take into account those who earn so much money that they effectively leave the country to avoid paying 90% income tax.

Nor, I assume does it include other incentives such as bonuses, shares, company perks etc etc.

However great thing about taking a huge sample, is that the results are strikingly accurate and emune to the effects of anomolies.

Fisz

Ka mate!
Jun 10, 2006
Give me a B

Give me a E

Give me a N

Give me a E

Give me a F

Give me a I

Give me a T

Give me a S
BS, man - pure BS. You know that the new membership countries citizens need to have at least a year of continous employment before they can claim any benefits like unemployment? And even then it's a pain in the ass to go through. Council Housing? It's being done but not the way most of you guys think. I myself was offered to rent a flat in a council house which was rented by some Pakistani fellow who has long since returned home and this flat was on his name, and the guy who offered it even showed me his original ID so that you could take care of things like bills.

WOODY LOKI

Has been.
Oct 25, 2006
St neots
hmmm

we have a chap that comes from a country not so far away from germany. the reason he is here is he can earn £750 a month (£6 an hour, 40 hours a week and 4 weeks a month average) live in a house with 5 other people, avoid national service and send his family £300 a month. he has a better standard of life and so do his family. very commendable the worst thing he actually works harder than me as he's picking and packing at the mo and i'm writing this reply. ironic.

woody

Mort

The big, bad I SAID NO!!
Sep 14, 2006
Norwich
Give me a I

Give me a G

Give me a N

Give me a O

Give me a R

Give me a A

Give me a N

Give me a T

Couldn't resist....

J@mes

If in doubt, flat out!
Jul 11, 2006
Wakefield, West Yorks.
we have a chap that comes from a country not so far away from germany. the reason he is here is he can earn £750 a month (£6 an hour, 40 hours a week and 4 weeks a month average) live in a house with 5 other people, avoid national service and send his family £300 a month. he has a better standard of life and so do his family. very commendable the worst thing he actually works harder than me as he's picking and packing at the mo and i'm writing this reply. ironic.

woody
your maths is sum what out..

for those hour's, he would earn £960. (before tax and Nat Ins.)

-james

bryan

walker-texas-ranger
Oct 22, 2001
south cambs
Visit site
buddha 3 if u had of read my posts i have never said the retailers were ripping me/us off. in fact the opposite. my point which has been so easily lost is against the manufacturers and suppliers, frankly the powers that b in paintball.
this is not just a us game, the potential market in europe, asia and the southern hemisphere is huge.
so taking into account the very good points made regarding vat and import duties why isnt there a production facility in place in the eec to (eastern europe to reduce costs) avoid the problems of vat and import duty??

thx this is so much fun!!

I love mort.:D

Mort

The big, bad I SAID NO!!
Sep 14, 2006
Norwich
buddha 3 if u had of read my posts i have never said the retailers were ripping me/us off. in fact the opposite. my point which has been so easily lost is against the manufacturers and suppliers, frankly the powers that b in paintball.
this is not just a us game, the potential market in europe, asia and the southern hemisphere is huge.
so taking into account the very good points made regarding vat and import duties why isnt there a production facility in place in the eec to (eastern europe to reduce costs) avoid the problems of vat and import duty??

thx this is so much fun!!

I love mort.:D
We'd still be paying VAT wherever it was made :)

Your mum loves me too hahaha :rolleyes: