Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Question for Waddiz

JTHM

American Prat
Oct 31, 2002
USA
Visit site
Ok, here's the scenerio, Team hangs the flag and after the refs check the two remaining players one is found to have obvious hits on his body.

Whats the proper call on the penalty? And how does it effect the Hang in regards to the loosing team?

shamu

Tonight we dine in hell
Apr 17, 2002
Now-Cal
I'm not Wad but I'll see if I can answer this. NPPL and Mil rules are pretty similar on this.

According to the NPPL rules, a player hanging the flag with an unobvious hit is considered an eliminated player and the flag is rehung at the original flag station. If the team has any live players, they can retrieve and rehang the flag, time permitting.

If a player hangs the flag with an obvious hit, then it could be considered playing on and a 1-for-1 penalty would be assessed. The flag is returned and can be retrieved by any live players on the team. The ref checking the player would have to make the call on whether or not the hit was obvious.

If the last player on the team is eliminated due to a penalty, the other team receives an automatic pull and hang.

NPPL Rules for this are:
4.14 Flag hang points are awarded when a player touches his original flag station with its opponents flag. Flag hangs will not be immediately awarded upon the touching flag station. The status of the flag carrying player will first be verified before a flag hang
is considered to be official. The time that the flag carrier touches the flag station with the flag will be recorded by the flag field judge, and should that player be determined to be live after being checked by the field flag judge, the hang will be announced and the game will have ended as of the time that said player broke the plane of the flag station. If the player is found to be marked after being checked, that play is eliminated and the flag is immediate re-hung in its original flag station.

12.72 If the flag carrier hanging the flag on a flag station as specified in Section 12.71 hereof is found to have a hit on him, the flag judge will radio his counterpart to re-hang the flag. The replacement flag will be immediately hung in the original flag station from which it came.

jotajotaZ

Feb 7, 2003
Spain
www.ninatoz.org
What happens with the time in that situation?

And what are the players allowed to do?

I mean. The flag is hung. I guess that time is stopped at that moment. Player is found to have a hit (let's say it is not obvious for the sake of simplicity). The ref should then carry the flag to the original station (or call via radio to have the second flag hanged there) and then start the time again.

What can the second player do at that moment? Is she allowed to run to the other side of the field while the time is stopped?

shamu

Tonight we dine in hell
Apr 17, 2002
Now-Cal
Originally posted by jotajotaZ
What happens with the time in that situation?

And what are the players allowed to do?
Usually, one of the refs runs the flag back to the flag station and resets (replaces) it. A live player can run along with the ref, pull the flag and hang it (again).

Time keeps running while the flag is reset. If the guy who hangs the flag is hit, better hope you have a fast ref :D :D

Wadidiz

EnHaNcE tHa TrAnCe
Jul 9, 2002
Stockholm, EU
Visit site
Good answers Shamu,

Such situations that do come up occasionally are the reason I'm such a nit-picker concerning details about stopping the clock when a flag-hanger touches the flag to the base and keeping a spare flag at each flag station. It is also why I believe in a mini training session with all the judges before every event to make sure everyone is mentally prepared for such eventualities.

Steve

Wadidiz

EnHaNcE tHa TrAnCe
Jul 9, 2002
Stockholm, EU
Visit site
Obvious hits are those that any player who is not pumped full of novacaine should normally be aware of. This is an area where judges need to be worthy of their name: make a reasonable judgment. If I see a player get hit on the hopper and there's no loud click or if I don't see spray onto her goggles then I MIGHT give her the benefit of the doubt. If such a player was in an exchange where the PBs were flying and doesn't even bother to look at his marker or hopper then I MIGHT judge that as playing on. Our job is to use that tube between our two shoulders. The rules are clear about these points, we just need to observe and make good judgments.

Steve

Baca Loco

Ex-Fun Police
Originally posted by NulodPBall
===
In HB we were told that the ONLY unobvious hits were hits to your harness. FYI.

Ray
Relic
But Steve, the point Ray is trying to make is the captains were very specifically told only pack hits would be considered unobvious and even they wouldn't be if in the ref's judgement, the player reacted to the hit thus indicating he/she knew there was a hit even if they didn't know if it broke or not.
I don't have a problem with your interpretation of obvious/unobvious but that wasn't the ruling as expressed to the captains in HB.