Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Ramping - Robbo's Article in PGI 195

Chicago

Jan 31, 2005
Visit site
I would hazard a good guess as to what you think based on your post which, and let me know if this is just totally off base, may be a reflection of what you think.

Anyway, you meant "sensible" instead of "noble".

I agree that it's sensible. Telling people you don't like ramping while making thousands selling guns that ramp is a very sensible business position.

It's also hypocritical. Either ramping is safe and they're just trying to win some brownie points by saying it's not or it's not safe and they're willing to sell unsafe equipment to make more money.

And while that may be SENSIBLE, it's hardly HONEST.

Although I do prefer hypocracy over selling full-auto markers for $300. A little hypocracy never hurt anyone.

Matski

SO hot right now
Aug 8, 2001
Chicagown-- why are you trying to make a point based on nothing but the classical contradiction of the free market? Thousands of manufacturers make products that are potentially harmful or lethal. On your logic, anything that comes shipped with a safety label is hypocracy!!

There is nothing even remotely dishonest about suggesting that customers take due care in selecting their fire mode. It's simply good appreciation for the safe use of a product.
Millions of products have 'potentially' dangerous capabilities. Car manufactures make cars that can travel much faster than the speed limit. Attempting to hurt someone with a car can be legally classed as assault with a deadly weapon; all the manufacturer can do is supply and recommend safe use etc.

You may not like WDP, but if your going to criticise at least have some form of argument other than the hypocritical nature of capitalism, a mechanism that your countrymen have prospered from more significantly than half the free world combined.

"And while that may be SENSIBLE, it's hardly HONEST"..... George Dubya help you word that one?

Intheno

People's Supermod
Sep 18, 2003
Chicago (South Side)
Visit site
so WDP are dishonest now, huh?.
My, this is a day for insults isn't it?

You don't know my opinion on all this yet despite your claims, but here goes.

The Millennium are allowing ramping.
The PSP are allowing ramping
The CFOA are allowing ramping.

This is in thier rules. WDP have decided to make their guns ramp to comply with these rules. Before they have done so they have issued a press release saying, in not so many words, that they will give people the ability to ramp at the tournaments that allow it, if they wish to do so, but the company does not agree with ramping in principle. Ignoring your customers in business is a recipe for disaster. Perhaps WDP will sell more guns now they have allowed ramping. Is this because they are dishonest, or because thier (and most) customers want guns that ramp? I'll leave that particularly tricky question to you...
If ramping was not in the rules WDP would not have done this. They have been up-front and I feel they have been more honest than the many companies that made ramping guns that can't be controlled by the rules, so bringing about actual rule changes to start this whole unholy mess in the first place. But if a company reacts to this after ramping has been allowed in the rules they are dishonest? Not in my World.

BTW - What gun do you shoot? And more importantly, does it ramp? Try to answer without being 'dishonest'. Hopefully you are going to tell me you don't play, or you use an Automag, because if you were to tell me you use a gun made in the last 12 months I might fancy using that 'hypocracy' word you use so much myself...

Zebra3

Jul 13, 2004
Visit site
"Nice to see they are taking notice. But why haven't they done the same announcement concerning the PSP events? Have they started their anti-MS campaign with the thoughts of bringing the NPPL to Europe?"
This is because the PSP actually print the ramping rules the MS print one set of rules that is 15bps semi only, but then tell the players verbally that ramping is allowed. if the MS is going to allow ramping then put the rules in PRINT.

Matski

SO hot right now
Aug 8, 2001
Zebra

PSP events take place in the US where having a loaded m16 under your pillow is legal.

Millennium events take place in EU countries, that will probably even ban breathing soon.

Collier

Arsed?
Jan 2, 2002
Macclesfield
Visit site
Personally I think for almost ANY company to say that ramping is dangerous is a crock of ****......
Is it any more dangerous if it's not only your teams that have software that add shot's??
Make no mistake, this stinking mess originates first and foremost from the manufactures themselves and of course the players that want it!!!

Intheno

People's Supermod
Sep 18, 2003
Chicago (South Side)
Visit site
'almost any company?'
what company is it Ok for?

and so the manufacturers and players are to blame?

Not the tournaments that have allowed it to be used, huh?

Once ramping was legitamised by the events everyone lost the ability to be able to blame the manufacturers and players. You can't blame people for using equipment as allowed in the rules. I don't get what you are saying, and I don't like ramping guns...

Collier

Arsed?
Jan 2, 2002
Macclesfield
Visit site
Sorry, that wasn't particularly well written, what I meant is the companies that produced and gave the software to their own teams before ramping was allowed by the leagues, as apposed to those who didn't.