Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Recognition as a 'sport'

Russell Smith

The Paintball Association
Russ, I have talked to 'some' people and done a little research, when Jon Hayes was dealing with all this cr@p, it became apparent the sports council changed the goalposts somewhat and therefore precluded a lot of other new sports from being eligible for status.
If this is true, and I stand to be corrected, what's changed to give you a revised idea of our success chances, if in fact you believe this is the case?
Pete, The UKPSF tried several times to become the governing body of the sport and indeed because of the lottery funding issue it was never given any further thought by sports england, but even if that was not the case I don't think the UKPSF would have been able to meet the criteria required because it is in its simplest terms it is a trade representative body and that is not allowed.
I am not sure if any governing body could apply for funding from the lottery but I do know that if we succeed in gaining status some of our more established teams could with the support of a governing body apply themselves, and there is a small chance that we could ask for capital grants as well but looking at other fringe sports like us I would be surprised if we could get any of that pot.
But I don't think we should be looking at the lottery because we believe there is every chance we could attract sponsorship from other sources.
Also there may be a tax benefit for all paintball sites (I doubt if any player would benefit) if from a VAT grey area if it is recognised as a sport.
The goalposts that the spots council set are achievable by the PA from what we believe them to be. Remember we have kept to their guidelines from day one and have all we do approved by them, but that is not any guarantee of them giving us status.

Russ

Pump'n'Splat

Ambassador of BOING!
This is true, though I've yet to see where the customer signs to make them a member, they are completely unaware of it. When I tried to speak to the UKPBA too to find out if I was a member all I got was "Fill out this form to become a member". I tried to explain I wanted to know if they had a record of me and if I was a member, but then they decided to ignore me!:( Funny world eh?

(Slight off-topic warning, but relevant)
If they ignore you, this is illegal, to define you as a member, they have to keep your details somewhere, they have to therefore be registered as a data controller under the data protection act, and you have a right to see, amend or withdraw that information from their use. If this is not complied with, it's a breach of the Data Protection Act and legality will ensue....

If DF are not actually storing information on their "members" and just suggesting anyone through their door is a member, then it makes a claim of representation tenuous at best.

(Slight off-topic warning, but relevant)
If they ignore you, this is illegal, to define you as a member, they have to keep your details somewhere, they have to therefore be registered as a data controller under the data protection act, and you have a right to see, amend or withdraw that information from their use. If this is not complied with, it's a breach of the Data Protection Act and legality will ensue....

If DF are not actually storing information on their "members" and just suggesting anyone through their door is a member, then it makes a claim of representation tenuous at best.
And the freedom of information act :D

By law when requested they have to let you see all data that is held about you.

But I don't think we should be looking at the lottery because we believe there is every chance we could attract sponsorship from other sources.
Also there may be a tax benefit for all paintball sites (I doubt if any player would benefit) if from a VAT grey area if it is recognised as a sport.
The tax breaks apply only to clubs and do not apply for profit making activites such as club bars, merchandise sales etc.,

TWO THOUSAND SPORTS CLUBS NOW CASHING IN ON TAX BENEFITS

Sports Minister underlines 'win win situation' for amateur clubs

Over two thousand amateur sports clubs across the United Kingdom are now enjoying the tax benefits, reliefs on business rates and gift aid worth an estimated £5 million now available to them.

But the Sports Minister, Richard Caborn, is keen to see the many thousands more eligible clubs join them in registering with the Inland Revenue as a 'CASC' a Community Amateur Sports Club and reap the rewards.

He urged the clubs to look at a new leaflet being published today that shows how easy it is for them to claim huge cash savings.

Clubs registering as a CASC can benefit from:

Rate relief at 80% on the club's business rates
Exemption from corporation tax on trading income doubled to £30,000 and income from property doubled to £20,000
Exemption from capital gains tax when they sell off assets
Exemption from capital gains tax when they sell off assets
Caborn said the door was still wide open for other clubs to make the most of the scheme's benefits:

'It is fantastic to see that two thousand clubs are now reaping the rewards of the CASC Scheme. This new leaflet we are publishing today just shows how simple it is for a club to register and immediately benefit financially.

'Clubs could guarantee themselves a sustainable saving of thousands of pounds every year money that could be well spent on new equipment, changing rooms or training facilities'.

'Despite this landmark being reached, progress is a bit slow and there are many thousands of clubs that are still missing out. My call to those clubs is a simple one. Get involved now and get saving because being registered as a CASC is a win win situation for you'.

The CASC Scheme also provides a range of benefits to encourage communities to support their local clubs, including Gift Aid on donations by individuals, worth an additional 28 pence for every pound donated.

Gift Aid has already proved hugely successful to charities, giving the voluntary sector £2.3 billion in the last year.

The new leaflet can be viewed at the link below. It is being sent via Sports Governing Bodies to clubs right across the UK.

www.culture.gov.uk/sort/community_sport/inland_revenue.htm

Eligibility for CASC

Clubs wishing to access the reliefs through the CASC Scheme must register with the Inland Revenue. To be eligible for registration clubs must be able to show, in their rules, constitutions etc, that they:

Are open to the whole community, without discriminationAre organised on an amateur basis, i.e. non profit making.
Surpluses must be reinvested in the club. Distributions to members are not allowed
Have as their main purpose providing facilities for, and promoting participation in one or more eligible sports, i.e. those recognised by the Sports Councils.
Benefits of CASC

As of 1st April 2004 registered CASC's enjoy the following benefits:

Mandatory relief of 80% on non-domestic rates (a.k.a. 'business rates') for CASC's in England & Wales. The Scottish Executive has announced plans to introduce mandatory relief when time allows, but has an interim measure introduced discretionary relief of 80% for all clubs.
Exemption from capital gains tax on disposals of assets
Exemption from corporation tax on: - bank and building society interest - trading income up to £30,000 - income from property up to £20,000
Top 10 Registrations by Sport as at 31st November 2004

Sport Registrations

Cricket 406
Bowls 287
Lawn Tennis 166
Rugby Union 151
Golf 131
Football 129
Sailing 119
Multi Sports 112
Gaelic Football 56
Shooting 56

For more information on CASC, and to register, follow the link to the Inland Revenue website: www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/casc

^^^^^ My mind just went blank :(
I could be cruel :cool:

The Dataprotection act 2005 entitles you to view all data held against you for a maximum nominal fee of £2 to cover admin costs.

Russ suggested that being a sport would help the sites, nope, I suggest that it will help properly constituted clubs according to the above rules.

Hope that helps fill in the blank canvas ;)

Russell Smith

The Paintball Association
Russ suggested that being a sport would help the sites, nope, I suggest that it will help properly constituted clubs according to the above rules.

What I said is there is a V.A.T grey area that may help sites, and that is true, nothing to do with CASC type applications.
Remember a CASC approval does not give you any cash just gives you tax relief if you have a lump of it in the bank and you meet the requirements.
If any more than two clubs in the next five years get a benefit more than fifty quid I will show my arse in Burton's window.
This/any government don't give enough cash to the NHS so we are going to get sod all from them for paintball. What we need is their approval and recognition as a sport and that will allow other funding possibility's to become available.

Russ