Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Recommended reads

Rat

eating brick!
Sep 18, 2005
worcester UK
Just about finishing a book called "The Odin Mission" featuring Sgt Tanner. Basically its Sharpe set in WW2 as opposed to the Napoleonic wars. written by James Holland.

Scrumpy

Now with added pew pew
Dec 7, 2006
Darkest depths o Zumerzet
Generation Kill by Evan Wright. Cracking account of the first weeks of the U.S Recon Marines in Iraq.

Silent Bob Speaks (the collected writings of Kevin Smith) Magazine articles written by Kevin Smith collected in one book. Very funny read and my bog book of choice

Roulette

Luke
Jul 2, 2003
Devon - Exeter
Visit site
sorry i don't read much non-fiction, but for others who like to escape to other places i'd recommend:
Thomas covenant chronicles by stephen donaldson

The Otori clan stories: Lian Hearn

Just started reading the dresden files (about a wizard called harry dresden, not actually dresden itself)

Welshballer

AUP Veteran
Jan 23, 2009
Rhondda
The Warlord Chronicles by Bernard Cornwall, Fiction, buts paints a believable background of Dark age Britain and Arthur, with some brilliant character building. All three books are worth the read.

EELZ

never a trading complaint
Oct 29, 2003
wrexham
I always find 'Mr Nice' by Howard Marks an interesting read. funny and informative ;)

a-hihi

Aug 1, 2007
Grenadiers
the story of Kurt "Panzer" Meyer
Quick overview:
one of if not the youngest divisional commanders of WW2
It starts off with the invasion of Poland, then leads you through the Balkans and Greece( it was here that his Grenadiers were pinned down whilst assaulting a heavily defended mountain to get the advance going again he cooly pulled out the pin of a grenade and lobbed it just behind his own men he managed to keep the attack going and the Kleisoura pass was taken.) , to the Eastern Front then eventually Normandy where he got his divisional command the 12th SS Panzer division Hitlerjugend but that achievement was overshadowed by the execution of Canadian and British soldiers. Although im not sure if he himself ordered the massacre (i dont think he did but i havent read the whole book yet.)

some fiction as well
Simon Scarrows '
If memory serves me right, this series follows 2 Romans Macro and Cato who travel throughout the Roman Empire. Cato comes as a new recruit and is met by Macro a Veteran Centurion they immediately start off on the wrong foot with Macro feeling Cato is not up to being a legionnaire never mind a Centurion. Which he has been assigned to by Imperial decree (due to the fact he used to work in the imperial palace.) He is put in second command an Optio(i think) but through perseverance and bravery on the battlefield, Cato eventually proves to Macro that he is worthy of his position. Macro eventually comes to respect Cato they then become bvery good friends with almost a farther/son relationship.

there are 9 books in this series all very good reads. There's many dangers/obstacles that they have to overcome such as Brutal street fights to Political enemies scheming against the empire. He really engages the reader and you start to care about the fate of the characters which makes you wanting to start on the next book as soon as you've finished the first one.

Storm.trooper

Jul 4, 2009
i like all the sas books by chris ryan and andy mcnab but i also have to add both darren shan books there completely and utterly fantasy but i enjoy them and get into them alot

Dr Fingers

They don't tell me nothin
Feb 1, 2009
Dunedin, New Zealand
Philip Zimbardo's "The Lucifer Effect" is a good read if you don't mind reading about the darker side of life. It is a very readable. Explains why Abu Graib occurred and given that Zimbardo was a defense witness he should know. "Rotton, no dogs, no blacks, no Irish" is another great book if you have any interest in Punk and the Sex Pistols.
Rich :)