The Home Of European Paintball

Recommended reads

Big Mac

My Custom User Title
Oct 19, 2006
York
Hamburger Hill - Samuel Zafferi
Vietnam: A History - Stanley Karnow

Both great reads if your into that type of thing.

NSKlad

Pistolas y Corazones
Dec 9, 2006
Bournemouth
Don't know why the spell check doesn't like Night Watch...? or Nigh****ch. bugger s' done it again!!
"Lance Constable Detritus! Saulte!" :p Only quote I could come up with.

As for younger books. " His Dark Materials " is a brilliant trilogy, Aimed at the younger ones but older people may enjoy the fantasy side of it.
Don't know how I missed that one! Good for children, better for adults in my opinion. The film wasn't quite up to scratch though...

I LOVE fantasy...

If you like it try and read Trudi Canavans - Age of the Five series and her Black magician Trilogy. There BOTH awesome!

Thanks im now 7.99 worse off :eek:
Sounds good, I'll go have a poke at those. :)

What did you get, one of the Night Angel ones? You won't be disappointed. :D

Forgot to mention this for die-hard science fiction fans, but try to pick up one of Isaac Azimov's novels. I can't stand his short stories, but his novels, even his children's ones (Lucky Starr series) are shweet.

stongle

Crazy Elk. Mooooooooooo
Aug 23, 2002
The Wynn
Visit site
There are far too many books and not enough time. Depending on your tastes, here's a few of my favourites

Chickenhawk - Robert Mason - Autobiography
Great book not an autobiography though, more naughty boys in choppers.

Anything by Mark Bowden is a good pageturner. Oh, an absolutely must read is The Black Swan by Nassim Taleb. It'll fcuk up your nuggin.

chuckwood

Now back in Australia!
Aug 2, 2008
Adelaide, South Australia
Ok:
'Shake Hands with the Devil' by Lt Gen Roméo Dallaire.
'Panzer Commander' by Hans Von Luck
'Panzer Leader' by Heinz Guderian
'Gallipoli' by Les Carlyson
'Homicide-A year on the killing streets' by David Simon
'Sniper One' by Sgt Dan Mills
'Fiasco' by Thomas E Ricks
'The Assassins' Gate' by George Packer
'Rules of Engagement' by Tim Collins
'To the last man' by Jeff Shara
'After the Reich' by Giles MacDonogh
'Warriors' by Max Hastings
'Agent Zigzag' by Ben Macintyre
'Anzio' by Lloyd Clark

Few I have read lately.

Buddha 3

Hamfist McPunchalot
Okay chaps, time to own up for me, so here's a short list of some of my fave reads:

How To Lose A Battle, Alistair Horne. How Germany defeated the low countries and France in 42 days in 1940. Gives you some new respect for the French soldier, but makes you loathe the French command.

Stalingrad, Anthony Beevor.
Berlin: The Downfall 1945, Anthony Beevor. Both of these books document the madness and terror of city fighting at its worst.

The Bedford Boys, Alex Kershaw. Tells the story of Virginia's National Guard A company, 116 Regiment, 29th Division and how it landed as the first wave on Dog Green sector, Omaha Beach. June 6th 1944 was a terrible day for Bedford, Virginia as almost a full generation of men was wiped out in only a few minutes on that fatefull day.

Le Soldat Oublié, Guy Sajer. The story of a French boy who was drafted into the German army and sent to the Russian front.

D-Day, Stephen Ambrose.
Citizen Soldiers, Stephen Ambrose.
Band Of Brothers, Stephen Ambrose.
Pegasus Bridge, Stephen Ambrose. All these books are highly recommended, as they tell you what war is like from the soldier's point of view.

Parachute Infantry, David Kenyon Webster. The autobiography of a member of E company, 506 PIR, 101st Airborne Division. Much of this book was also used for Band Of Brothers (the book and the series).

Currahee!, Donald Burgett.
The Road To Arnhem, Donald Burgett.
Seven Roads To Hell, Donald Burgett.
Beyond The Rhine, Donald Burgett. These 4 books form the autobiography of another 101st Airborne soldier.

Battle: The Story Of The Bulge, John Toland. A great collection of personal experiences during the Ardennes battle.

The Brigade, Howard Blum. The true story of a Jewish brigade that fought for the British in Italy and later formed the core around which the IDF (Israeli Defense Force) was built.

Tigers In The Mud, Otto Carius. The autobiography of one of Germany's greatest tank aces.

Death Traps, Belton Cooper. The autobiography of a member of the maintenance battalion of the US 3rd Armored Division. This man describes the disadvantage at which the Sherman tank fought.

The Longest Day, Cornelius Ryan.
A Bridge Too Far, Cornelius Ryan.
The Last Battle, Cornelius Ryan. All of them great reads. Describes the battles at both the strategic and tactical levels, as well as at the personal level, going from infantryman to general.

To The Victor The Spoils, Sean Longden. Describes how the British army was behaving when NOT fighting during the liberation of Western Europe. Basically lots of drinking, looting and whoring.

Hitler's Willing Executioners, Daniel Jonah Goldhagen. Very gruesome book and a hard book to read at times. Very harrowing description of how much the common German was actually aware and involved in the holocaust.

The Face Of Battle, John Keegan. Describes three great British battles (Agincourt, Waterloo, the Somme) on the level of how the common soldier would experience it.

A Rumor Of War, Philip Caputo. The autobiography of a member of one of the first US Marine units to be sent to Vietnam. You can sense how the men slowly went mad trying to fight an invisible enemy.

Vulcan 607, Rowland White. The great story of the Vulcan bomber that hit the airstrip on the Falklands. Fantastic book, very exciting even though you know how it ends.

Jarhead, Anthont Swofford. Movie was good, book is even better. Autobiography of a Marine sniper during Desert Storm.

Where Soldiers Fear To Tread, John Burnett. Autobiography of a richboy that becomes a UN humanitarian aid worker in Somalia. Perfectly describes the anarchy that rules this country.

Fiasco, Thomas Ricks. Very detailed explanation of how the US politicians messed up the invasion of Iraq. It could have been so simple if only they had listened...

Relentless Pursuit, Samual Katz. The true story of the great manhunt to capture Al Qaeda terrorist Ramzi Yussef by the US Diplomatic Security Service.

Under The Black Flag, David Cordingly. The truth about pirates. Yarrr!

Weapons Of Mass Deception, John Stauber and Sheldon Rempton. Great read about modern day propaganda.

The Men Who Stare At Goats, Jon Ronson. Great read about how the US military started out with psychic research and ended up with Guantanamo and Abu Graibh.

Guantanamo, David Rose. Man's darkest side exposed.

De Helden Van Rotterdam, Wim Hornman. Translates into The Heroes of Rotterdam. I doubt this book is available in English. It details the story of the Royal Dutch Marines in Rotterdam, fighting the German invasion of may 1940. Basically they were beating the crap out of Germany's much vaunted Fallschirmjäger (paratroops) until forced into surrender by the heavy bombing of Rotterdam. The Germans named them Schwarze Teufel (black devils) after their black coats and ferocity in battle.

Last edited:

Classified

Registered Abuser
Mar 30, 2007
Okay chaps, time to own up for me, so here's a short list of some of my fave reads:

How To Lose A Battle, Alistair Horne. How Germany defeated the low countries and France in 42 days in 1940. Gives you some new respect for the French soldier, but makes you loathe the French command................................... De Helden Van Rotterdam, Wim Honman. Translates into The Heroes of Rotterdam. I doubt this book is available in English. It details the story of the Royal Dutch Marines in Rotterdam, fighting the German invasion of may 1940. Basically they were beating the crap out of Germany's much vaunted Fallschirmjäger (paratroops) until forced into surrender by the heavy bombing of Rotterdam. The Germans named them Schwarze Teufel (black devils) after their black coats and ferocity in battle.
and the entire Sweet Valley High series..........
:)