Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Red Dot Sights

George Ellison

Dec 26, 2016
Hello all,
I am fairly new to paintball and I am looking in to getting a red dot sight for my Tippmann Sierra One. I have a DXS Pulse Loader and I of course have the issue that the sight will not fit/ I wont have clear vision looking through it. There is also the issue of the mask not allowing a cheek weld to the stock, meaning it is hard for me to get my eyes across to the top picatinny rail.

I was wondering if mounting it to the left shroud rail would work or how well I would actually be able to use it?

If this would work well, would you suggest mounting it on a 45 degree offset rail or straight on to the shroud?

Finally, should it be worth it, are there any suggestions on red dot sights?

Thanks for any answers,
George

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
Hello all,
I am fairly new to paintball and I am looking in to getting a red dot sight for my Tippmann Sierra One. I have a DXS Pulse Loader and I of course have the issue that the sight will not fit/ I wont have clear vision looking through it. There is also the issue of the mask not allowing a cheek weld to the stock, meaning it is hard for me to get my eyes across to the top picatinny rail.

I was wondering if mounting it to the left shroud rail would work or how well I would actually be able to use it?

If this would work well, would you suggest mounting it on a 45 degree offset rail or straight on to the shroud?

Finally, should it be worth it, are there any suggestions on red dot sights?

Thanks for any answers,
George
Actually if a red dot sight is used correctly it doesn't matter if there is something in front blocking the view.
You should not look through the red dot but have both eyes open and look past the sight on either side with each eye. Your brain overlays the image from each eye, making the hopper transparent and giving a 3D view and matching each eyes off centre view of the dot together to project one dot as if it was on your target
Practice by holding up a couple of fingers vertically in front of your face whilst watching tv. Focus on the tv and your fingers become transparent
(Similar to making two horizontal fingers turn into a floating sausage before your eyes)

You can put a sight on a 45 degree adaptor, but that also puts it further away from the flight of a ball. (Unless you rotate your gun 45 degrees in the opposite direction)

Paintball's don't fly in a true straight line, use your line of sight to follow where balls are dropping and adjust as necessary to hit your opponent

Sights point in a straight line, which paintballs don't follow. And unless you have a special stock to fit your head then you get parralex error and are not looking directly down the sight. Red dots help a little with that as you don't need to look down the sight

If you have access to a sight then try one, but you will probably find that you can hit the target just as well by looking down the barrel with both eyes open
Use the feedneck or the body as your dot and practice focusing ahead

Reactions: George Ellison

George Ellison

Dec 26, 2016
Actually if a red dot sight is used correctly it doesn't matter if there is something in front blocking the view.
You should not look through the red dot but have both eyes open and look past the sight on either side with each eye. Your brain overlays the image from each eye, making the hopper transparent and giving a 3D view and matching each eyes off centre view of the dot together to project one dot as if it was on your target
Practice by holding up a couple of fingers vertically in front of your face whilst watching tv. Focus on the tv and your fingers become transparent
(Similar to making two horizontal fingers turn into a floating sausage before your eyes)

You can put a sight on a 45 degree adaptor, but that also puts it further away from the flight of a ball. (Unless you rotate your gun 45 degrees in the opposite direction)

Paintball's don't fly in a true straight line, use your line of sight to follow where balls are dropping and adjust as necessary to hit your opponent

Sights point in a straight line, which paintballs don't follow. And unless you have a special stock to fit your head then you get parralex error and are not looking directly down the sight. Red dots help a little with that as you don't need to look down the sight

If you have access to a sight then try one, but you will probably find that you can hit the target just as well by looking down the barrel with both eyes open
Use the feedneck or the body as your dot and practice focusing ahead
Thank you very much for your reply, it was very helpful.

James ECI

UK Woodland Masters
Jul 31, 2007
Kent

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
They will do the job, but practice will do you just as well

If it's the sort of thing you like then go for it,but don't get one just to improve your accuracy. Let your money go to practice

When I've used sights the worst thing was people looking them over and leaving them swithed on. Constantly changing batteries for something i didn't use

Reactions: George Ellison