Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Referee's on Div 1 Field.

Ainsley

CPPS Chief Chimp
Mar 26, 2008
Staffordshire
Liam, I've replied to your email.

In regards to score sheets, your scores were on display all day with each game and points on display for all to see, so that any discrepancies could be recorded as you go (as far as I was aware, there was only 1 all day and quickly rectified thanks to our new system). As of Round 3, you'll also be able to view this on your mobile phones. To me, this is far better than signing a score sheet anyway, as it's in black and white for all to view.

Havard407

Greatest Member
Jul 28, 2011
Wigan
To be honest I had no complaints in regards to the competence of the referees on the div2/div3 field but a few calls that I didn't shout up on but thinking back should have.

1) Team player had an old shot on the Velcro of his pack, couldn't clean it up mid game due to the race 2 format so tidied up the best he could and went back on, it was a noticeable old shot but even so in the heat of the moment a 1for1 came our way but that's just down to lazy off field care.
2) Last man against 3 and was holding my own, got hit on the barrel cam (Great footage btw) and was pulled pretty much imminently (Can hear the call on my footage). I asked to pick up my pod and the ref told me to go and I apologised and went on my way. However then while off the field the head ref came over and told me that we had to start with 4 players due to "Dead man talking". Now I personally know the rules and feel very hard done by considering I was one man but either way got on with my day.

All in all I loved the day, we picked it up in the end but all too late. No dig at any of the staff and I personally have the utmost respect to them and appreciate how friendly they are on and off the field.

Great day and hope to have another at round 3.

Jon

Cook$

Just the tip....
Jul 7, 2001
Championsville
My bad as far as the signing of the Div 2/3 scoresheet signing goes, I was fresh into the job and had enough to think about (i.e. doing the job right and getting everyone's points correct) without chasing teams down to sign sheets. I know once you get into the swing of a job, that thisdoesn't seem like a big thing to do, but when you are trying to keep track of everything and do things right, signing the sheets seemed like a small worry. I dont think that this was a problem on the div2/3 field but I appreciate that it could have been. If I score again, I will make a point of having the ultimate say at the start of each match that the sheet needs to be signed.

Tony Harrison

What is your beef with the Mac?
Mar 13, 2007
Just to start this is my personal opinion and a reflection of some player's reactions this Sunday.

This was my first event at CPPS in Division 1 and i couldn't help but notice the referee's lack of enthusiasm? certainty? knowledge? inexperience? i'm sure there are a few other words to describe the situation but i'll move on...

In comparison to the previous event on the main field they looked like frightened kids (in fact i think one was about 12 which personally i think is unacceptable) and nobody really contested this even though a lot of people were dropping a "someone should say something". There were countless terrible decisions, indecision's and controversy on the field and as a player watching from the sidelines in between games.. it didn't exactly fill me full of hope.

To re-iterate this isn't a flame or a dig but at Division 1 level the ref's should be in a mind set of... "these are potential teams playing at the top of their ability and looking to push for the elite league so we as ref's should show the same professionalism"

All in all though it was another successful event!

Cheers,

Kit
Interesting post.

As a Ref on Field 1, I was completely unaware of the "lack of enthusiasm" and "countless indecisions". As there were a number of very experienced refs on that field, I'm sure they will be interested by these comments.

Perhaps you should have taken the time to point out your concerns on the day to the Field Ultimate.

Out of interest - how many tournaments have you reffed?

Ainsley

CPPS Chief Chimp
Mar 26, 2008
Staffordshire
All comments have been passed onto our reffing team and your posts duly noted and we thank you for them! We can not improve without feedback!

Our Ultimates and 1st refs are all Eurorefs who have all worked at the highest level in Europe and around the world. We purposely spread the experience around the fields so that no field is deemed "weaker" than another and refs are rotated each event to ensure they can progress and learn their craft. In time this experience will grow across the board.

As a "sport" we're not in a position to do any differently at the moment. We have to share this knowledge and hope that others take it on board......if we don't, and keep all the "best" refs on one field, how will the others get any better? It's a thankless task, and something that CPPS has been forefront in trying to develop with ref clinics being run over the course of the year and a serious investment in our reffing crew being made. We can only strive to provide a better standard as the year goes on and the refs experience continues to develop.

We take your comments seriously and please note that they are all being looked into.

In return, I ask that players look at their behaviour also.....we want to create a mutual respect at CPPS and house an environment where parents can feel comfortable with bringing their children to. Approaching referees calmly and politely is the best approach for all involved after the game has finished to discuss the situation at hand.

Tony Harrison

What is your beef with the Mac?
Mar 13, 2007
I was waiting to see if anyone would mention the Div 1 field referees.

I dont know what the correct title for this ref is, but basically the ref who was keeping time and scores didnt even know the rules of the game.

We was in the play-off for 3rd/4th, and were tied at 2-2 with 30 seconds game time left, which all on the team were well aware of, so we decided we would play for an overtime point, sit in our bunkers, and wait until time expired.

More than 30 seconds had passed, more like 1 minute and 30 seconds, when the other team came down the field, shot our team out and pressed the buzzer.

We as a team were all aware of the rules, as we had just played The Med Cup, Millennium Event.

The ref then called game over, as we were getting ready to play our overtime point, in which case we argued for a few minutes, where he told us we were wrong and that he knew the rules.

At that point the head ref on the field came over, and told us we were correct and that, said ref was wrong.
He clearly didnt know the rules, which is not good enough imo, as its the 2nd from top division and we potentially lost out on a podium finish.

Not a massive deal you may think, but when we had all spent as much as we did for travel, entry and paint, we felt very hard-done by.

Nether the less, a great, well run and setup event.
http://www.millennium-series.com/downloads/m7_format_millennium_series_2008.pdf

This is the rule I based the O/T call on.

Think about it - when a football match goes into extra time, is the game paused?

automag

Jan 14, 2008
I think at the end of the day, we all get some bad calls and we can bi7ch and moan, and I can do that.... but for all the money in the world I would not like to be a ref at a tourney, it's is a thank less task and thank you to the guys and girls for being a ref

Sanchez

Aug 22, 2011
http://www.millennium-series.com/downloads/m7_format_millennium_series_2008.pdf

This is the rule I based the O/T call on.

Think about it - when a football match goes into extra time, is the game paused?
But once game time has expired, the game is over. Then an overtime point will be needed with the first team to score, wins.

It happened to us in St Tropez, we were tied at 3-3 with 40 or so seconds remaining.
Once that 40 seconds had expired, the refs called the game.
We then proceeded with the overtime point.

''Overtime: If at the end of the regular time both teams have the same number of points, there will be an overtime of 5 minutes. In this overtime the first point given decides the game (Golden Goal). If no point is scored during overtime, the tournament seeding for this event decides the winner''

Last edited:
Reactions: Chiv de la Hoyde

chrisearl89

Aug 12, 2008
Croydon/Guildford
I was waiting to see if anyone would mention the Div 1 field referees.

I dont know what the correct title for this ref is, but basically the ref who was keeping time and scores didnt even know the rules of the game.

We was in the play-off for 3rd/4th, and were tied at 2-2 with 30 seconds game time left, which all on the team were well aware of, so we decided we would play for an overtime point, sit in our bunkers, and wait until time expired.

More than 30 seconds had passed, more like 1 minute and 30 seconds, when the other team came down the field, shot our team out and pressed the buzzer.

We as a team were all aware of the rules, as we had just played The Med Cup, Millennium Event.

The ref then called game over, as we were getting ready to play our overtime point, in which case we argued for a few minutes, where he told us we were wrong and that he knew the rules.

At that point the head ref on the field came over, and told us we were correct and that, said ref was wrong.
He clearly didnt know the rules, which is not good enough imo, as its the 2nd from top division and we potentially lost out on a podium finish.

Not a massive deal you may think, but when we had all spent as much as we did for travel, entry and paint, we felt very hard-done by.

Nether the less, a great, well run and setup event.
Going on from this if the ultimate said his ref was wrong about the decision he should have over ruled the decision and allowed the overtime point to be played. It doesnt matter if the point had been awarded the ultimate still always has the final say over everything.