Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Referee's on Div 1 Field.

frobinson

#14 Din Eidyn
Oct 25, 2011
Edinburgh
Can't let the opportunity to pass on a bit of feedback be passed up so here's my 2p. Sorry if it's not relevant to the thread topic as I was on the div2/div3 field but anyway. I'm not trying to discredit or disagree with anything anyone has said about decisions made, I simply want to say that I in total had to approach the scorekeeper or the ultimate on 4 separate occasions throughout the day to ask a few different questions or query a few decisions that had been made. I was given polite, genuine and honest answers and I just wanted to thank you for both doing your job and taking the time to ensure me and my team were fully aware of the situations!

Reactions: RazorLine and Cook$

Sanchez

Aug 22, 2011
As for the Overtime point situation. We as a team simply play to the hand signals and instructions the refs on the feild give us. Eg if they say 10 seconds we are ready to play. If they call time we stop. If we are allowed to play we keep playing. If we are eliminated we walk. We don't argue with the refs. If we have a question our captain on the feild asks the ultimate.

Thanks Craig Pickernell - Team Kinetic
Good game boys, not blaming you lads or saying you did anything wrong, any team would of done the same.
I just find it a shame that, that particular score/time keeping referee does not know the correct rules.

Other than that, the rest of the refs were great on the Div1 field, in particular a certain ref (black/blue events) who went above and beyond to watch me carefully, as i was getting called out for bunker rub a few times..

But mistakes happen at the end of the day, no one is perfect, it was a great warm up for Bitburg.

Thanks all, and see you at round 3.

Last edited:

GSuperstar

Planet Eclipse
Jul 17, 2003
Manchester
www.facebook.com
I'm here purely to pass judgement on some of the comments and opinions made above.

Quite a few opinions of the reffing standards have come from a 'spectator' viewpoint. Of course in your opinion the player should've received this call, or shouldn't have received that call, as you are focusing on that specific infringement at that specific time. The ref however is having to focus on a larger scale and having to make fast instinctive calls in a very short period of time.

As everybody seems happy to base their opinions around the sport of football, I'm sure each one of you have made a comment when watching a game on tv about a bad call the ref made. If he had multiple tv angles and Sky+ he too would probably agree with you... But he doesn't.

Refs do not have the luxury in paintball of being relaxed on the sidelines and able to make completely fresh minded decisions, they are in the heat of what is a fairly aggressive sport where a lot of things happen simultaneously.

I would recommend those that have the odd bad call to wait for their adrenaline to die down, and put themselves into the refs shoes and look at how that persons perspective influenced the call given. It'll surprise you how often it appears fair in their eyes.

In regards to the overtime point scenario, I'll not make judgement on this as I don't know the full story and was not there to have an opinion.

I have also never reffed, do not ever wish to, but completely appreciate those that do.

TomO
Planet Eclipse

Gaz #68

Warped #68
May 14, 2010
Wolverhampton
Played on div 3 field and had no complaints. Felt it wasn't quite as strict as last time if I'm being honest as we spotted a couple of starts with feet behind the line that weren't picked up BUT it was consistent for everyone. It's a tough jobs ref do but I've always found politeness goes a long way in any discussion as does remaining calm. Imagine it the other way round, If someone's screaming and in your face would you be be understanding. As a player I like to think its part of my job to know the rules as well as the ref so if I need to raise a point I can do so from an informed and less emotional standpoint. I can understand players frustrations when things aren't perfect but the reality is, even with the very best of intentions it will never be that way. I can't comment on incidents I didn't see but generically I would expect the ultimate to be the most knowledgeable and sort any discrepancies that may occur as some of the refs on their field learn their trade. If we can't accept this we will never get any new refs and eventually we will end with none. As others above have posted and as Ainsley has previously stated they welcome constructive criticism and as a paying customer you are entitled to raise concerns and issues and I applaud the fact they actively encourage this. I try to make it a point to thank the refs when I leave the field at the end of a game ,as long as its not dead man talking, as it reminds me of the job they do and I would like to think a little recognition of their effort helps them work through what is a long day :D

Shining Glory

Platinum Member
Dec 4, 2006
Ainsley has done wonders with the site, improving everything and anything we all tell him about or he thinks needs to be improved on.

The site is awesome, the vendors are awesome, the techs that turn up to help fix gun problems are awesome, the catering awesome.

Now as for the refs they do an awesome job but there are always going to be good calls and bad calls.

I have never refereed an event but have been playing for a while and seen the good and bad calls, i know they have to keep to a standard and adhere to it but some do and some dont.

I was involved in an incident on the field yesterday, in where we was down to 2 players ( me and 1 other ) i was in t bag 1 and my mate was on snake side, so i decided to go on a run to try and take a few players out, started my run down t bag side and put 2 shots into some guy who had his back to me, noticed in the M there was another guy, so dropped to 1 knee but he had seen me and started shooting at me, at the same time this guy popped out of the t bag down from where i stopped and started shooting and i was hit so i put my hand on my head and pointed my gun in the air, the guy in the M stopped shooting at me but the guy in the T bag carried on and on and on and only stopped when the marshal stepped in ( big thanks there to the marshall ), so i waited on the side lines until game had been called to speak to the ultimate, game was called and the team and ultimate had discussion by start gate so i presumed words as to the incident were being had, when they had finished the guy who shot me started to walk towards me as he got near he said sorry, i said sorry didnt you see my hand on head and gun in air, to which he replied well your guest we had last month had over shot him last month so he passed it on to us ( us being me), so i waited for the ultimate as i was not happy, he came over and i asked what was happening with the over shooting to which i got get off the field from him, so then i got off the field, arguing with a ref or ultimate is not clever as they dont forget and make whatever calls they like after.

Went to go see Ainsley who listened and apologised and would have words, he did have words but he got fed BS by the other team with excuses of the sun was in there eyes, it was a day ending in y, they had finger cramp,there was a glitch,there goggles fogged up, there was an earthquake, it wasnt them, it never happened etc

I knew i was going to get some love for doing a run but to get pummeled with no warning given to the other team was bang out of order, whats the point of having an ultimate if all he is going to say is get off the field.........................

Last edited:
Reactions: Chiv de la Hoyde

Dobby

CPPS Ref
Feb 14, 2010
Manchester
Sorry sir, but by reading all of the above I take it YOU were the ref who made the wrong call regarding the overtime, and ALSO had to ask one of your referees 4 to 5 times to pull one of the sandbaggers players on a one for one, ALSO had a discussion with another ref regarding the amount of times one of your colleagues left the field. All of this occurred in front of players might I add, I have reffed at winter series leagues and I know it is no easy task, but when an ultimate tells you that you are wrong, it is simply unacceptable to refer to the rules of other sports as a DIVISION1 CPPS referee.
Again, I know it is not always easy, it's a difficult job, however, there is a certain standard expected when paying £250 of your hard earned money on entry fees.
That said, I think the ultimate should have overruled the initial decision of letting the game play on.
Just my 2p.
Could I just add, that screaming in my face AFTER I had checked the player will NOT influence my call. Not one bit. My desision is MINE, not yours.
I assume you're refering to me leaving the field, which is only due to the fact I have severe ashtma, which does inhibit me to get about as much as some of the other refs. However, I failed to report this to my ultimate, and he was naturally pissed off with me leaving the field. It's my fault I didn't tell my ultimate at the start of my day, and I do deserve the chat I got.
Just thought I'd throw that out there. I'm not trying to cause an arguement, just wanted to air my voice and clear things up a bit.
Joe.

Reactions: frobinson

Dobby

CPPS Ref
Feb 14, 2010
Manchester
After this weekend it is safe to say there needs to be a minimum age for refs.
Hang on buddy, who are you to say that? Josh did a fantastic job, it was his first tourney, and he deserves respect for that! And to Ainsley too for giving him the oppotunity to show his colours. Ignorance.