Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Referee's on Div 1 Field.

mctractorboy

Brotherhood - Gething
Mar 30, 2004
Newport
Hang on buddy, who are you to say that? Josh did a fantastic job, it was his first tourney, and he deserves respect for that! And to Ainsley too for giving him the oppotunity to show his colours. Ignorance.
Well I'm not being funny or anything by saying it and its not ignorance it's my opinion. I hope that's ok with you buddy

Dobby

CPPS Ref
Feb 14, 2010
Manchester
Well I'm not being funny or anything by saying it and its not ignorance it's my opinion. I hope that's ok with you buddy
Opinions are fine mate, but don't judge the quality of refereeing from a person based on their age. Anyone can ref, but it takes alot of training and work!

Ainsley

CPPS Chief Chimp
Mar 26, 2008
Staffordshire
I'll just step in here to fan any flames.

Joshua (the young ref) wasn't just thrown onto that field on a whim. He is a family friend of JB who was the Ultimate on that field, and Chris (JB's lad). The reason he was placed on that field was so that they could keep a close eye on him and the calls he was making that day - more than any other ref would have done. They coached him in between points and at the end of the day, JB was very pleased with how he performed. Further to this, Josh gave up his own free time to come and be taught by our Refs on the Saturday in the breakout division all day to prepare him for the day after (as well as previous sessions). Being a ref is also about being a part of a team, and I have no doubt that Josh will now continue to ref and learn from the best refs in the UK who have given him their full support. We're in the development of something here.....and that's investing in the future of our game.

Josh was supposed to be an "extra" ref on the day (to make the D1 field a 7 ref field and he would shadow JB), however, unfortunately a ref had to pull out last minute for reasons beyond his control (he had a baby) and so Josh stepped up to the plate. +1 to Josh in my book.

We appreciate all your comments, and I assure you both myself and my reffing crew are taking them on board :)

Hnt0r

Jan 2, 2013
Bath
Interesting post.

As a Ref on Field 1, I was completely unaware of the "lack of enthusiasm" and "countless indecisions". As there were a number of very experienced refs on that field, I'm sure they will be interested by these comments.

Perhaps you should have taken the time to point out your concerns on the day to the Field Ultimate.

Out of interest - how many tournaments have you reffed?
I think you've taken this the wrong way, its not a personal attack what so ever merely an observation from the pits and in game experiences. As for the how many events i've ref'd comment... the answer is ZERO. I paid bloody good hard earned money (along with so many others) to play that event the least you could do is respect the fact that i've contributed to your earnings for the day. You could at least do me a favour and read the rule book properly.

Also if Howard Webb asked Mario Balotelli how many games he had reffed i'm pretty sure you can all guess what the reply would be.

meadowcroft

Lethal Formula
Jul 2, 2010
Stockport
I'll just step in here to fan any flames.

Joshua (the young ref) wasn't just thrown onto that field on a whim. He is a family friend of JB who was the Ultimate on that field, and Chris (JB's lad). The reason he was placed on that field was so that they could keep a close eye on him and the calls he was making that day - more than any other ref would have done. They coached him in between points and at the end of the day, JB was very pleased with how he performed. Further to this, Josh gave up his own free time to come and be taught by our Refs on the Saturday in the breakout division all day to prepare him for the day after (as well as previous sessions). Being a ref is also about being a part of a team, and I have no doubt that Josh will now continue to ref and learn from the best refs in the UK who have given him their full support. We're in the development of something here.....and that's investing in the future of our game.

Josh was supposed to be an "extra" ref on the day (to make the D1 field a 7 ref field and he would shadow JB), however, unfortunately a ref had to pull out last minute for reasons beyond his control (he had a baby) and so Josh stepped up to the plate. +1 to Josh in my book.

We appreciate all your comments, and I assure you both myself and my reffing crew are taking them on board :)
Ouch that must of hurt!!!

Hnt0r

Jan 2, 2013
Bath
From a mod POV, good thread guys. Very constructive.
The whole reason I started this thread and reiterated that its not a dig at anyone more just to clear the air and get people to actually voice there opinions constructively :)

I had an awesome day, thanks and congrats to Ainsley and the team for sure.

Reactions: Sanchez

Ainsley

CPPS Chief Chimp
Mar 26, 2008
Staffordshire
A couple of the ref team took things to heart, but I've spoken with them now and all is well. No grudges are being held and our ref teams are constantly rotated field wise anyway. They have a passion for what they do and I apologise if that came across in the wrong way. I'm already working on a number of things that will end any time keeping confusion across the board for future events.

We NEED to get feedback - especially the bad so that we can continue to improve the event. We are trying to set a standard in the UK and so without feedback and things being highlighted to our crew, we'll never achieve this. We're in this for the long haul and want to develop our ref pool and educate all involved. With the help of Jabba, the EBPF and our Eurorefs, I'm sure that we can achieve our goals.

Andy Steele

P8ntball isn't a sport
Sep 2, 2005
manchester
I'm not gonna lie. The sandbaggers, nor myself seemed to have any issues at all on the div 1 field. I thought it was very fairly reffed, consistent calls were made, and a general good attitude from them all.

Vocals from the ultimate in the box could have been a little louder, but that was it(maybe a megaphone, or a cone could help with this)

I'm really at a loose end as to what the problems were on the div 1 field, as I didn't hear any confrontation, nor any words being spoke to any of the refs........which strikes me as odd after reading some of the comments on here

Last edited:
Reactions: f1nut2

WildWayz

The Moose God
Dec 19, 2004
Batley, Near Leeds
paintball.moose-shack.com
I'm not one to judge refs at all, I think they do an excellent job and one that I'm sure most people on this forum wouldn't want to do as they'd rather play paintball at these amazing tournaments. I appreciate all the work they do and sacrifice the time that they do.
Completely agree. Hard choices they make. I've never played CPPS, but their refs are used at UWL. The other week at Round 2 of it, there were a lot of bounced shots, and I was shot in the chest. I looked down and couldn't see anything so I kept on playing. Next thing I know I got a 2 for 1. A ref saw me look down and assumed I saw the hit and played on. What he didn't see was that it was in a completely blind spot and even when I touched the area for paint/shell, none was on my gloves as it actually was a bit further up than I thought.
I didn't argue with him - could see his POV and it was such a shame it ended in a 2 for 1.

Later that day the same ref (I think) came up to me when the same thing happened, but I pulled myself off (we were playing Sandbaggers with tourney paint, so pretty much knew a chest shot would break) - he then said "Why did you pull yourself off when it bounced? It is my job to call if you are hit" :)
So I was damned if I do, damned if I don't :)

End of the day, the reg made the call - right or wrong I gotta obey. I am deffo not even a Div 3 player, but life is too short and unless it was completely unfair then i'll take it like a man and move on. When our games finished, I thanked all the refs on that field - especially the dude with the red and white sandana with Bunkered or something on it. He was cool.

Reactions: Care_Bears

Bolter

Administrator
Aug 19, 2003
Kettering
www.facebook.com
What I think is totally disgusting is teams trying to get you one for one'd, for shooting you. Yep, sounds ridiculous right?

Not my team, was watching. Guy runs the tbag tape, mugs a guy, and a split sec later, gets drilled by 3 players who he had just burst into their triangle, and half fell over. The 3 players all put a couple of shots on him. He starts bawling to the refs "one for one!!! Over shooting!" showing the ref the shots. His team in the pits running about like someones been killed, all start literally bum rushing the refs when the point concludes demanding some sort of penalty.

I mean, what did that guy think was going to happen? Its not a golf course! (which I think was the refs wording) If 3 people shoot at you for half a second, thats could be 15+ balls hitting you.

Penalties for shooting someone, whatever is next! No such thing as overshooting imo. There is such a thing as being a c0ck though, unfortunately.