Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Replacing fill nipple correctly ?

Bertz

instagram above
Nov 26, 2014
coventry
Hi , need a little help to replace the fill nipple correctly , is it a matter of just unscrew old and screw new ?
Any ptfe tape or loctite (if so any particular type ) ?

The new one has slightly different inner and outer will this matter ?

Thanks guys

Magic Rat

Swansea Draguns
Nov 21, 2012
Carmarthen
I just use a strip of PTFE tape,just make sure you don't get any inside the reg( over the end) so it can't get blown inside.

Reactions: Bertz

Bertz

instagram above
Nov 26, 2014
coventry
Just after a bit more advice , took this to my local dive shop to get a fill today,

Anyway filled ok as it should , guy said I had screwed the fill nipple in fine without over doing it so it was bottoming out , as some people do .

Once filled ,when he went to test ,
the fill nipple failed and had to release all the air slowly out, he did double check to make sure nipple wasn't sticking.

Now I'm wondering could this be reg related damage or should I order another nipple and repeat the previous ,he did say make sure there isn't any sh*t inside which I did already and as Magic Rat had mentioned not to have any ptfe tape overhanging the threads which I had.

Guy was great in shop new his stuff , didn't charge me ,told me of some horror stories while we waited for the fill

BOD

The brotherhood
Aug 1, 2003
YORK
Visit site
It's not reg related damage as the fill nipple is just a self sealing valve and apart from the fact it's housed on the reg has no connection to the workings of the reg at all, merely a way of filling the bottle.
What oring is inside the fill nipple, is a urethane one (sort of clear colour) or a nitrile one (black colour) and is it the correct size.

Bertz

instagram above
Nov 26, 2014
coventry
Thanks BOD for the reply ,
I assume it's the correct size ,I ordered through a link provided from the previous owner http://www.magfedpbuk.com/hpa-n2-one-way-foster-fill-nipple-kit#intro
Makes sense now you state how it works .

Unsure how this can fail considering how basic it works and unsure on what to do next can't see any damage to nipple

Here's a picture new and now I have dug the old one out they are completely different

Last edited:

Magic Rat

Swansea Draguns
Nov 21, 2012
Carmarthen
Looks perfectly fine to me.
I also can't see how it could fail,it could only leak.
Usually dunked in water or sprayed with soapy water to look for bubbles.
Bottles are tested not regs,they are just serviced.

Bertz

instagram above
Nov 26, 2014
coventry
Ye I thought the same thing ,
When he filled it and released the value tap on the scuba tank, all we could hear was air coming back through the filling loop.

Looking at the old one I can't see any visible damage but this is what seller said on his listing
"this needs a new fill nipple, or the burst disk within the fill nipple replacing. Somebody managed to puncture it at my last session, however the rest of the tank is immaculate"

On lips they say lifetime warranty so I'm wondering if it's possible to get a new one through them http://lips-paintball.com/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?WD=nipple&PN=Guerrilla-Air-Pro-Fill-Nipple-2667.html#SID=354

BOD

The brotherhood
Aug 1, 2003
YORK
Visit site
The only thing that can go wrong in a fill nipple is the oring itself, that is the only seal, ( i've never heard of a burst disc it a fill nipple, some have little mesh screens to keep muck out). There a few different internal designs but they all do the same thing.
Looking at the picture it looks fine, the only thing i can suggest is you slide the oring of the piston and turn it over and put it back on, also check that there's no dirt on the oring seat on the inside of the fill nipple and that the seat is nice smooth.
If the oring was the wrong size (too big) they tend to just get blown off when connect to the fill rig, same thing happens with nitrile rubber orings.

Reactions: Bertz and Magic Rat