Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

REVIEW: New Designz 05 Ego Roller Trigger

russyj

Leeds Uni Paintball Soc
Jul 22, 2007
www.luupbs.co.uk
Right, before I get flamed, it says on the Techroom description to post reviews, so I decided I would, in true pbreview fashion, for the information of all Ego owners. And coz I’m bored at work…

New Designz Ego 05 Roller Trigger

Strengths:
- VERY nice feel (roller bearing)
- Increased adjustability – the angle (rake?) of the trigger can now be adjusted
- Exclusivity (I haven’t heard of many around here, doesn’t matter to me but some people are into that?)

Weaknesses:
- Looks (though some people might like it)
- Installation (it’s a pig)
- Doesn’t use stock size trigger screws
- Price (for me)

REVIEW:
Installation – This is NOT for people who get easily frustrated (such as myself). I nearly lobbed my ego across the room at one point I got so annoyed. But anyway… None of your eclipse allen keys will fit, so keep hold of the one they give you, its smaller than your smallest one (around .050 imperial I think). As it’s a bearing, it’s a proper hammers-at-dawn trigger pin, so bear that in mind, and theres only ONE way it’ll go in (he finds out after hours of hammering). The little plastic bit on the end of the activation arm comes loose, not sure whether its meant to or not, but does make installation a little easier if its off. Without it however, the arm does not sit high enough to trigger the optical sensors. Also, as the allen key they give you does not have a ball end, it’s a real pain to mess with the settings, I tried taking it out to do this, but that causes more problems… patience is a virtue here.

Feel – much smoother feel than the stock or star triggers, similar curvature to the stock trigger, but the ability to adjust rake means you can set it up exactly how you want it. Everything else is as normal, the Teflon tip on the end travel adjustment screw is a nice touch so it doesn’t damage your frame. Not sure how long that’ll last though, mines already disintegrating. I BELIEVE the smaller size screw is so there’s more turns per mm of adjustment, as I’m finding much greater adjustability once I’ve set the activation point where I want it (i.e. the pre travel and magnet strength screws).

CONCLUSION:
The reason I was so quick to upgrade my stock trigger (I’ve only had this gun a while) is because I have a particularly slow right hand, with which I struggle to hit 8bps. I know you’re meant to practice, however my right hand has always been weaker. This trigger however has increased my speed on my left around 1-2bps, and 2bps at least on my right (I can now hit 11on my right, according to my Ego). Again, I know the reader on the Ego is inaccurate, but it’s a decent benchmark.
Price – I really wanted this trigger because I like to tinker and hey, another setting to mess with, and after much searching, I found it at 40 quid :eek: inc. p&p from a german site (paint-xtreme.com). Delivery was fast (and registered), and their customer service was ok. Is it worth the price though? To me, yes, its improved my finger speeds and I love the feel. To someone who’s already comfortable with their Ego setup – probably not. To someone who wants to upgrade the trigger as they don’t particularily like the stock one – try the star first if you can, its damn good, but if you really want to go all out, get this one, but try and find it at a cheaper price from an American site. At 20 quid, it would be brilliant value and the same price as a new star trigger, and much better in my opinion (again, a matter of taste)

Thanks for reading, that’s 1 hour down 8 more to go…

Russyj