Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Round 5 comment

SabreWolf

Jan 25, 2005
Manchester
none
I would like to say spot on rich, in general the behaviour on the elite field was very good however one or 2 people took things a bit far with some decisions they didn't agree with, but to be fair apologies were made once they had gone away and calmed down which is appreciated by us refs.

On the other hand though, it does seem to be creeping in more and more which can only be a bad thing for the event as a whole.

platoongod

Platinum Member
Apr 24, 2008
North Wales, Bangor
Agreed on most points there, personally i had a cracking day playing championship during the day then did some reffing for conference in the afternoon for the first time so i got a good insight of how hard the reffing really is, so hats of to all those who regularly do this, as i said though i had a cracking day, everything run smoothly and i had no problems with any reff's nor did any member of my team, many thanks to rich and all the staff at cpps.

Bigbaddaveyc

Slow Moving Target
Jan 13, 2011
Whitburn, Sunderland
This was my first time coming to CPPS, just to spectate with my kids who are hooked as well now. It was disappointing to see the attitudes of some players towards the refs and then particularly to find they were quite mature(or supposed to be) and not just some daft young kids. Maybes it needs to be introduced that before Rich looks to make these player 'unwelcome' they have to do some time reffing and see how difficult it is!.
Saying that overall we had a brilliant weekend and still cannot get over the hospitality of this sport in general.

DS-Azrael

Mar 2, 2009
Genuinly had a good weekend again, felt a bit let down in a couple games in the conf finals, but i'm not sure if it was heat of the moment, lack of understanding towards the rules or what, but we noticed a few games were refs were being influenced by sideline coaching....but thats something the individuals doing it need to be aware off. Other than the refing in the 2 games, me and my team had a great weekend and looking forward to round 6 already and 2012 season.

P.S i like the idea of the reffing clinic. Just out of curiosity tho, would this be JUST for cpps refs, or can your average player attend (if it was on the sat before the event sort of thing)?

RICH HARRIS

The legend limps on
Nov 18, 2002
Living on the edge, often bouncing on a ledge
The basic one we have run is kinda open to anyone who wants to come really. Prob look at doing one next CPPS on the sat afternoon if enough interest.

Also if we could get enough support we would run one on a Sunday at the site, or we have looked I into a traveling clinic. If it meant training refs who were going to be comited we would go any where.

Part of the problem we are faced with is persuading individuals to travel at there cost to a half day clinic to be told how they should do a casual job that they feel they van do already. I don't blame anyone as people's time and money is precious and when you look at the above issues why would you want to comit more free time to the above when the guys feel it's not appreciated.

WookieCB

Aug 9, 2010
Overall, the whole day was incredible! The new scheduling system worked really well and I feel it is a system that should be adopted from now on. I want to thank Rich for putting on a great event and all the marshals and all the teams played, also the vendors for providing their smiling face :D

There were only a few things worth mentioning about the day, but this is a comment thread and it's all to make the CPPS better.

On field 5 there was a game where I clearly shot someone on their hopper, asking the ref to check his hopper and nothing was said, then I shot the guy again on the hopper and I did scream to check, but the player still carried on playing, and nothing was done about it after he was called out, no 1-4-1 or anything despite me shooting him twice and him playing on.

I understand reffing isn't easy, and I am in no way saying "I can do better", the refs do an amazing job throughout the day, but there are some things that need to be addressed to give a greater service.

Secondly, is there anyway to get a leaf blower on every field as there was a time, on field 5 where a ref was inflating the M, and then the refs on field 3 (I think it was field 3) who needed to use a blower for a mildly deflated bunker, at this point the M on field 5 needed to be inflated, which gave the impression the certain fields take priority over others, not a nice feeling. :(

Finally, at the chrono, which one do we believe? The yellow, red or small grey one? Caused a little confusion.

As I said, my comments are only to improve the service all of us get, as it is the sport we all love, so lets make the atmosphere positive :D

evoonline

CPPS Referee 4 Life.
Feb 14, 2007
Rugeley, Staffordshire
i have spent the past season and half reffing the cpps for rich and mark. passing between xball. race to and now the 5man side where i became the ultimate on field 4. after the previous event i came to the conclusion that the extra aggro isnt worth the cash. i dont ref the cpps because i need the money but out of loyalty to rich and mark, they gave me alot when i was playing for mean machine and in some respects quite literally saved my life. between the continued cheating and bad mouthing of people i witnessed yesterday im very much at the end of my tether. at one point in the day i was pratically called a liar by a player for a shot, some obvious hits which were clearly in self check zones were argued against me whilst games were still running and frankly ive had enough. i agree totally that im only human like all other refs but i have an understanding of the rules, i am not gunning for a particular team or trying to influence the outcome of any games played. im there whether its raining or the sun is shining. i give up my days off of which i only get sundays to do the best i can to ensure the event i love is kept going and im sure the same could be said of all the refs there. i dont turn up to take crap from people, to have strangers shouting the odds in my face and not once did i do that to a player on my field. i ref fair and hold my hands up when a mistake is made because i do make mistakes, god knows ive made enough to last me a life time but im tired of coming away and spending the next 2 or 3 days in a mad spiral of depression. the few are wrecking it for the many. these comments are my own as a ref on the field making the calls whether right or wrong and not the views of rich, mark, balls out promotions or anyone else connected to the events.

on a plus note i love reffing the tournaments and will continue to do so until my health or sanity is pushed to breaking point. rant over :)

RICH HARRIS

The legend limps on
Nov 18, 2002
Living on the edge, often bouncing on a ledge
Well after talking with done respected players this afternoon I will be implementing the new improvements to reffing at the next event.

This will make life easier for the refs and should be more consistent.

In simple terms if a player is shot and a referee has to tell the player he is eliminated then this will be followed by a 1-4-1 penalty as the rules state.
However if the shot is in area not deemed an obvious location ad the player has called for a check an not proceeded to play or participate in the game no penalty will be applied.

We did not want to go down this route as it's a little brutal but it seems te only way to protect the refs and help them do a better job.