Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Running a Tryout

WestSide

Feb 12, 2003
Maine
Visit site
My team (I and another kid are co-captains) is going to be running a tryout soon, and i'll probably be at the reins of the thing. Frankly, I have no idea how to do it.

Anyone here who has run tryouts that can give me some tips? Should I play with the people some, or just observe as much as possible? Run some drills, or just relax and play?

anything's appreciated
thanks

SCRUB

Dec 15, 2002
southern california
Visit site
You probly have already though of this but you dont want annoying people or people you cant realy get along with on your team. when i'm looking for people i try to look for people who are kinda cool and fit in with the team because you can always work on their skills later. of course if they are compelty horrible you can tell them to just try out at a later time.

Cassidy James

Kamakazi Runner
Dec 15, 2002
Redding, CA
www.newgrounds.com
hm...

I never had I team tryout, but I've been to one. The team played against the guys who were trying out.

Also, they told me that insted of looking for people who are good, they were looking for people who are comitted. If you think about it, if they suck you can teach them how to play well.

Meyer

Westside, I'm a mainer too, where do you play? I've got a buddy of mine who got me into paintball, were both fairly commited, and its really hard to find teamates who don't flake out on you. Were both at college right now, but if your still looking for players near end of june, let us know. Most tourneys in maine don't happen until about that time anyway, except for Rogues indoor, Splatz, and this new field in Lewiston. Just let me know if you might still be needing players.

Meyer

WestSide

Feb 12, 2003
Maine
Visit site
sup...

hey meyer- I'm just outside of portland; I used to play mainly at splatz... If you haven't heard, they moved out of their Portland location, i guess the overhead for that building was too high. It's a shame, but there's talk about them opening an outdoor field this summer.

For now, i'm playing at Bennetts in gorham... seems like that's where most of the Splatzfolk migrated to. Nice field.

In the summer, we'll probably be practicing at Bennets and Rogue, maybe some at NEPS. Rogue is offering some sponsorships, we'd love to get our greedy fingers on one of those.

I'll definitely let you know if we need players... where are you going to school at the moment?

Meyer

I dodn't know that about splatz, too bad, that was a decent location. Right now I'm at Union College in New York, and my friend is at St. Anselms in New Hampshire. We've got a fairly good relationship with the guys at NEPS already, thats been our primary field since it started up, and the guys there like us. Good deal about the sponsorships at Rogue.

Just curious, but have you played at or heard about Firestorm in Limington (I think thats the town). They had a stand in the Maine Mall and their site looked promising, but I haven't talked to anyone whose played there.

Meyer

WestSide

Feb 12, 2003
Maine
Visit site
yeah, the (big :) ) guys at NEPS are cool.

I got my paint at the firestorm mall stand for awhile, but, unfortunately they went the wayside along with splatz. Portland doesnt seem to support paintball very well.

I played with a guy who'd been to firestorm last time I was at Bennets, he said it's pretty nice.