Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Safety Issues

Tony Harrison

What is your beef with the Mac?
Mar 13, 2007
Don't forget that when you buy a pair of secondhand goggles, it's probably a good idea to buy a new lens - they can only take so many direct hits before they shatter. Make sure you change them out regularly.

Also, spare a thought for your air tank - if you are running a couple of shiny new guns off a battered old tank, make sure it's in test or better still, treat yourself to a new one. Paintballers and compressed air have never been a good mix....

Harbinger

DO NOT DO AS I SAY / POST / JOKE ABOUT
Jan 14, 2014
The Royal County
On another note....Why pay £40 odd for a pair of battered up I4s and then £30odd for a lens only to be able to buy new for that?? Think the general rule should be, trying to be cheap never actually works in Paintball, amount of 2nd hand crap I've bought only to have ended up repairing / buying again is unreal, Could have had a new DM14 / Luxe / other overpriced crap for all I've spent in the past year, Joke.

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
On another note....Why pay £40 odd for a pair of battered up I4s and then £30odd for a lens only to be able to buy new for that?? .
Exactly. The second hand asking price does not always reflect 'used value' but if someone is willing to pay then it does reflect the market
Sellers can ask for what they want, it's up to the buyer to decide what they are willing to pay. If people arent jumping for it then the seller can decide whether to drop the asking price or wait

Best practice / recommendations with goggles is to change lens each year

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
make sure it's in test..
In the 21st century, not only make sure your cylinder is in date, but if sites are not checking* your cylinder find a different site to play at

* it is of course the players/fillers responsibility, but if you can get to a fill station with an out of date cylinder (without smuggling and dodging the checkers) then be a little worried about the sites procedures and policies

Harbinger

DO NOT DO AS I SAY / POST / JOKE ABOUT
Jan 14, 2014
The Royal County
In the 21st century, not only make sure your cylinder is in date, but if sites are not checking* your cylinder find a different site to play at

* it is of course the players/fillers responsibility, but if you can get to a fill station with an out of date cylinder (without smuggling and dodging the checkers) then be a little worried about the sites procedures and policies

I wouldn't worry about that too much, Public Liability insurance = compensation for when it goes BOOOOM or Pissssssssssssssssssssssssss in our cases, providing you survive and have an in date bottle of course.

Liam92

#16 Reading Entity
Nov 4, 2009
Glasgow, Scotland
agree with the better safe than sorry principle, but never with personal or rental masks have i ever seen a lense shatter or fracture. And i'm talking lenses that get battered every day, that are bashed, scratched up and not changed in over a year and they still hold up.
Would like to see somebody actually test the durability of a brand new lense and record how many direct, close range shots it would take to break.

Milky

Jan 20, 2004
www.ukasylum.co.uk
agree with the better safe than sorry principle, but never with personal or rental masks have i ever seen a lense shatter or fracture. And i'm talking lenses that get battered every day, that are bashed, scratched up and not changed in over a year and they still hold up.
Would like to see somebody actually test the durability of a brand new lens and record how many direct, close range shots it would take to break.
Once shot a pair of grills point blank with a fill hopper of reballs at 300FPS the mask disintegrated round the lens and the lens ended up being "a little scratched"

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
Results can vary, years ago we considered water bombs on big catapults (the kind you pull between 2 trees) to go from hill to hill
Tested it against an old by not ancient set of goggles across a garden. We broke the lens (cracked the middle)

Dusty

Don't run, you'll only die tired....
May 19, 2004
Northern Ireland
@Lord Flashheart is quite right about the goggles. Factor in an extra £20 for a new lens when you're buying a second hand set. Also be careful about buying second hand lenses.

I've never had problems buying stuff before but modding here over the years I've seen some seriously dodgy stuff being delivered to people, sometimes goggles still covered in paint and mud o_O