Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Salm suspended from 2003 NPPL??

Wadidiz

EnHaNcE tHa TrAnCe
Jul 9, 2002
Stockholm, EU
Visit site
Can't help but connect this whole thing to the hooplah surrounding Warped Sportz pulling outta the World Cup trade show, and, or course, the X-ball franchises.:confused:

Subterfuge

Apr 16, 2002
Visit site
Usually someone first cheats in small ways before cheating big. It makes me wonder how many games avalanche won clean. Same thing with stealing eh?

TJ 2

Sep 9, 2001
Visit site
Wadidiz, Al...

I love a good conspiracy theory as much as tha next man, but there is no logic in either of your statements...

Ed has used Avalanche as a phenomenal marketing tool in a way never before seen in pball; they have become so tied together that Avalanche is Warped and Warped is Avalanche, and their key products are intrinsically linked with the team and its players. To cheat this calculatedly - but also stupidly, as Salm was never gonna get away with it - would jeopardize Warped, and Ed is no way that stupid. The damage this incident has done to Warped already is huge and the shockwaves will only get bigger...all the kids who worship lasoya and rock are gonna be real pissed and the backlash is going to hurt Warped, so no way did Ed know what was occurring.

As for tha anti-Jerry thing, same reasoning applies.

Now let's look at the REAL conspiracy: Jerry Braun pays Salm to screw over his own team to provide an incident so infamous it overshadows all the real, legitimate problems with the Cup, how the Ams were screwed, reffing etc.:p

Wadidiz

EnHaNcE tHa TrAnCe
Jul 9, 2002
Stockholm, EU
Visit site
Wadidiz, Al...

Originally posted by TJ 2
I love a good conspiracy theory as much as tha next man, but there is no logic in either of your statements...

Ed has used Avalanche as a phenomenal marketing tool in a way never before seen in pball; they have become so tied together that Avalanche is Warped and Warped is Avalanche, and their key products are intrinsically linked with the team and its players. To cheat this calculatedly - but also stupidly, as Salm was never gonna get away with it - would jeopardize Warped, and Ed is no way that stupid. The damage this incident has done to Warped already is huge and the shockwaves will only get bigger...all the kids who worship lasoya and rock are gonna be real pissed and the backlash is going to hurt Warped, so no way did Ed know what was occurring.

As for tha anti-Jerry thing, same reasoning applies.

Now let's look at the REAL conspiracy: Jerry Braun pays Salm to screw over his own team to provide an incident so infamous it overshadows all the real, legitimate problems with the Cup, how the Ams were screwed, reffing etc.:p
Since Warped and Avalanche are so tied together like you say, I could imagine a kind of psychosis developing during some of their pre-tournament discussions. Maybe some joking about "We should get Jerry! Yeah, someone ought to show him! Blah, blah, blah." And that hatching into a sick idea on the part of Jeremy. It still seems just too weird with Avalanche's pinache for flamboyance, combined with frustration at losing and then the "no lewd behavior" press releases. It is just, very simply, too much fun not to think of it as a plot, or a publicity stunt.

But you're right, spoil-sport, it most likely isn't!:D

Getting to the REAL stuff: are all the rumors and reports about the bad judging true? Were there only 3 or 4 refs on some 10-player fields? Did Rage live up to their name and bean some ref with a tank?

If the reffing thing is true: I've done some simplified calculations.

Let's look at what sufficient numbers of refs might have cost:

3 days (more like 2.5) of 5-player games x 12 fields x 8 judges per field x $100 per judge = $28800

5 days (more like 4) of 10-player games x 12 fields x 13 judges per field x $100 per judge = $78000

That comes up to a total of $106800. It is actually much less considering the narrowing down of games in the semis and finals.

I calculate the gross proceeds from entry fees to be well over $500,000.

Would not the money mentioned above be realistic and have been well-spent to radically improve the quality of the "premier paintball event of the world"?

Naturally more than that needs to be done. A pre-tournament briefing/seminar and independent head field judges, a focus on consistent rule enforcement, etc. like has been pointed out in other threads.

If there is substance to the bad reports from this site and on other forums, then it is past time to DEMAND quality for our money in the NPPL, like what we get much more of in Millennium already (not that it can't be improved also).

We can hope that the new NPPL 7-player league will learn something from this.

acsik

Sep 18, 2001
Hungary
Visit site
Hmmm

1. Avalanche is not exactly in the best shape in this year.

2. Face it they're not accustomed to this.

3. They ALWAYS done controversial stuff (coughlasoyacough)

This is a BIG shame from now on it will stick to them like glue. I wonder what would anyone do?

Continue as Avalance

or

Rebrand the team and start over (Warped Sportz as a teamname?)

Peace

Oh and more to the story !!!

On www.forceofnature.com they say Salm used a Matrix......

That means it was planned (at least by Salm) since we all know the Matrix is one of the quietest marker out there.

And that my friends is even more serious.

Yep, seems like 3 - 4 judges per field happened in 10-Man...Mr Big and Robo have got tha lowdown on tha judging, so y'all will have to wait for the full PGI treatment...suffice to say that I suspect there may have been some 'payback' from tha AMS who were meant to judge.

i.e. So PSP thinks they can ruin our Cup by making us play seperate from everyone else so we can judge for 'em? OK, we'll play but we won't show up to judge...what are they gonna do about it?

With regards to Lanche, I wouldn't be surprised to see a few of tha top guys go elsewhere, but I can't see tha name dying, it's worth waaaaay too much. And they're already in X-Ball, so maybe just a bit of rebuilding on Lanche's part IMHO...

KillerOnion

Lord of the Ringtones
Well, a couple of my teammates and I were talking with Ed's mom after it happened, and she said that he was totally shocked, extremely angry, and very, very sad about it, indicating that he had no prior knowledge whatsoever about it and that it was apparently done as something against him rather than in any way whatsoever within his knowledge or directive. The other guys on the team reacted the same way. All of them wanted to know why. It was apparently done by Salm and only by him as some sort of intentional harm to Avalanche and Warped Sportz. The reason(s), well, nobody knows but him for the moment...

Bobvannes

Sandbagger
Oct 6, 2002
USA
Visit site
There were no 10 man fields with only four judges. Sorry that's a rumor and just untrue.

Avalanche was kidding about shooting from the woods when they walked one of the woods fields on Wednesday.

At X-ball the head ref from that field gave Dawn Mills the whole true story so look for it posted there. I listened in, so if you have questions I can answer them from that refs perspective.

Salm was fired and told to be gone from Avalanche's room by the time Ed got there.

This was the story of the tournament because it happened to GZ. Emily Mood told everybody and that contributed to getting Avalanche kicked out.