Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Shipping abroad

Bullseye

Non-linear
Feb 25, 2011
Derby
Nightmare....

I spoke to customs and gave them the classification number for paintball markers and they said it flagged up as may need a BIS license, but when they put me through to them, they said its nothing to do with them (tbh the women on the phone sounded like she couldn't be arsed). I was then advised to go to www.spire.gov.uk, register, and ask the question, that way once a response is given, if yes then there is no reason for it not to pass through. Think I will follow this road

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
Seriously what are you guys sending to be told you need a BIS licence!?

This is with regard to controled goods, or flagged countries and is about restricting the movement of military equipment, nuclear capabilities, torture equipment and anything that could be used for these

There are lists and further information here:
https://www.gov.uk/beginners-guide-to-export-controls#do-i-need-a-licence
https://www.gov.uk/uk-strategic-export-control-lists-the-consolidated-list-of-strategic-military-and-dual-use-items

I'm not going through the full lists, but in the military list section ML1 is firearms and the first exclusion in note
A is air weapons (air guns and paintball)

ML1
Smooth-bore weapons with a calibre of less than 20 mm, other firearms and automatic weapons with a calibre of 12.7 mm (calibre 0.50 inches) or less and accessories, as follows, and specially designed components therefor:
a. Rifles, carbines, revolvers, pistols, machine pistols and machine guns;
b. Smooth-bore weapons;
c. Weapons using caseless ammunition;
d. Silencers, "special gun-mountings", weapon sights, clips and flash suppressers for firearms specified in ML1.a., ML1.b. or ML1.c.
Note: ML1 does not control:
a. Air weapons (other than those declared by the Firearms (Dangerous Air Weapons) Rules 1969a to be specially dangerous);

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
Ireland could be a different matter. Southern or Northern?
There are some additional laws still in place for NI because of the troubles
The other matter can be to check RMs Airsures prohibited goods list. Prohibited does not necessarily mean illegal/licenced

Bullseye

Non-linear
Feb 25, 2011
Derby
Yes, this is what I queried, but can only go off what I was told, I spoke to the classification department and got the number, customs told me it may need a biz license when I gave them the number, the people at the license dept. told me its nothing to do with them, giving reasons not unlike your own, hence why I'm confused.... Anyhow think ill just go for it

mrb2287

Platinum Member
May 1, 2010
Darlington
To be safest guys i would send aboroad via a tracked and insured courier rather than royal mail who as we all know are absolute poo!

Gee Tee

1/2 man - 1/2 pogo stick
Mar 21, 2007
Dartford, UK
Ireland could be a different matter. Southern or Northern?
There are some additional laws still in place for NI because of the troubles
The other matter can be to check RMs Airsures prohibited goods list. Prohibited does not necessarily mean illegal/licenced
Final destination was USA not Ireland. RM airsure depot in Ireland opened and inspected contents, then decided it was prohibited goods and sent it back to me. Could have been far worse - covering letter stated they were within their rights to destroy or otherwise dispose of it, and I would probably have got zero compensation.

Last edited:

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
What was it you were sending?
Paintball items should not be affected, but there are certain ways they can be.

http://www.royalmail.com/personal/help-and-support/Tell-me-about-Restricted-Goods-overseas

You can appeal to Royal Mail and claim back your costs (the original postage) if you can establish the check of the item was wrong
Markers should be ok to send to the US, they don't classify as firearms but can get people twitchy.
Was there a battery inside? This is a very easy breach of prohibited items
If air cylinders are involved then its a different issue and needs regulator removal etc

It should not be the above as the letter states it is because of the destination, therefore not just prohibited by Royal Mail policy in general

http://www.royalmail.com/united-states-america