The Home Of European Paintball

Should British Army upgrade?

Should we upgrade the rifle?

• Total voters

Missy-Q

300lb of Chocolate Love
Jul 31, 2007
Harlem, NY
seems the yanks are moving a lot of their SF guys to a 300 blackout round. I'm watching that and thinking about getting a 300BO upper for my Ar to give it the old college try. Unfortunately the heavier bullets typically have a higher ballistic co-efficient so while you can gain ground in stopping power and reduced risk of over-penetration with the 300BO, there may be an accuracy trade-out.
Its clear the US forces are looking for an M4 replacement, but there are no front runners as far as I can tell. I didn't see anything at the shot show that wasn't based of the AR platform, with a few tweaks. I have heard HK come up a lot, and they have a fine line of firearms, but the yanks will want something US-made for their forces.
I like the Adcor Defense product and they are pushing hard for a contract with their modified Ar-15 design. If they were available in Canada I would pick one up. It has clear advantages over the current AR-15 platform.

Missy-Q

300lb of Chocolate Love
Jul 31, 2007
Harlem, NY
You can see the same AK torture test done with a Daniel Defense AR15 in .556 and it will look equally impressive.

avituk

UK Angel Owner
the problem with us Brits is we don't like change. also not only would it be costly to swap all the rifles it would take a week for everyone to be converted and carry out the weapon handling tests. there are reasons why NATO use 556 instead of the 762 from the olden days. if you kill a guy he will drop and his mates will shoot back at you. if you hit a guy and he is screaming on the floor his mates will see to him and try and keep him alive. They did test so many different rifles about 10 years ago and decided that H&K could upgrade all the old rifles to a better 'WORKING' rifle and they did a part ex with the MoD however 2 weeks in they binned them all and made everything from new. i have used both plus many weapon systems from my 20 years and think that its good enough till we start shooting lasers.

on a lighter note has anyone seen my other glove? left it on the tailgate of the landrover before we set off?

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
Lee Enfield has a long history with the SMLE through WW1 and the WW2 design was improved and adopted in time for Ww2 even up to the mid 80s, and features in some highly ally photos from the Falklands (about 70 - 80+ years of good service)

Though the Lee Enfield lasted to the Falklands our main rifle was the SLR from 1957 to the mid 80s - 20+ years of life, but is still in use around the world in the FAL family
In fact the intent was to go for bullpups with the EM2 in the 50s but for NATO compatibility and because it was believed the Americans would also do so the FAL/SLR was adopted

From the mid 80s the SA80/L85 family was brought in, and has been improved and developed, about 30 years so far and not planned to be replaced before the 2020s so will be 40+ years

Other rifles are used, those brought in during Afghanistan were not official procurements but Urgent Operational Requirements
People doing real special stuff will always have the choice of all weapons available to do the job required
The infantry, and thus everyone else, will remain with the standard configurations - standard rifle, squad weapons etc and may or may not have access to the UOR stock

There is little intent to get embroiled in large commitments around the world - and where required the developments have taken place with the standard rifle and its family

The government aren't going to be throwing big money into a replacement, the Cold War ended (ceasing the official situation of BAOR as occupation of Germany and them becoming fully fledged allies), we still have interests around the world and teams based in friendly countries. The SA80 is suitable for the requirement

Attention goes to the big equipments with a navy lacking ships, and the hot topic of nuclear submarines, the RAF get to fly a handfull of planes around, the Army get to work on pulling out of Germany and putting in place the 2013 Army 2020 design of Adaptive and Reactive Forces, while staff officers get to have clever ideas on tweaking it and asking for fast mobile equipment to race around the world
The government get to announce modern needs such as hipster cyber warriors
The arms industry show of Star Wars stormtrooper 'future soldier'

No the British Army aren't going to upgrade at any time in the near future