Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Sinking money into paintball

emisnug

"I am Become Death, squeegier of Worlds"
Oct 10, 2011
Middle of bloody Nowhere
So, here's something that I've noticed cropping up with a few 'ballers near me recently.

People seem to be sinking a lot of money into new/nearly new equipment - even when they have working kit. Here's an example for you - one of our guys just bought himself a shiny new Axe, then promptly announced that he couldn't afford to play for "at least 6 or 7 months". Why do people do this?

I could, theorectically, sink close to a grand into paintball equipment alone. But - I already have a couple of shiny markers and the kit to make them both work, along with stuff I both film and play in. What is the point of buying more stuff, especially when we've reached a plateau of sorts when it comes to markers? (By this, I mean that we're all going to be shooting 10bps at a tourney, they all weigh kinda the same and efficiency is almost a moot point in lower tourney divisons - Div1/Elite I can see the point of a more efficent marker)

After all, aren't we all here to play paintball, not to compare shiny markers?

That all being said though - this is just a talking point. As soon as I get enough spare money, I'm going to sell some paintball gear and get myself another camera.

Niall W

Platinum Member
Dec 13, 2007
Cambridgeshire / Swansea
It's just the nature of the beast I think.
While buying a new marker only to not play for 6 months is a bit extreme, and I'd say mainly seen in younger players with less capital to play with, the whole 'buying more stuff than you need' is definitely prevalent in paintball.

I think the fact that the market is saturated with SO many makes, models, special / limited editions and colourways, there's always going to be that temptation to have something you've not tried before.

While it's very expensive: on a bigger scale, markers are cheap enough to be accessible (compared to cars for example) and so people can readily gain the funds for them - whether or not this comes with the foresight of buying paint in the future or not.

The second hand market also plays a part I think. Most guns will show a big depreciation from new to used, but most will retain their value pretty well once in the second hand scene. Therefore, buying a new gun isn't such of an investment as it necessarily should be seen as, due to the almost guaranteed money back (or even profit) once you inevitably decide to chuck it for something newer that's popped up on here.
Sometime's I think I'd like to throw £100 or so into a gun on here and see how far I can get in terms of upgrading within a year of very selective trades / sales. I'd like to think that I could double my money within 6 months... This is how I and some other team mates partially paid for paint when I was playing at 15/16yrs old as well as a £20 a week potwash!

My two cents. I'm avoiding revision.

Reactions: NSKlad

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
It's like any hobby and human nature
People but shiney things, it might be to 'be better' it might just be something different or new
Impulse buys are a key factor - buy it now then not afford to do anything else

Canon Fodder

Go to your brother, kill him with your gun.
Oct 28, 2008
Lancaster
I know I have to stop myself buying pumps whenever I see them for sale, I've only got two arms so surely the 6 I've already got should be enough, I've already got a nice phantom but have had to stop myself buying another everytime I go on the internet.

Kevin Winter

Dec 10, 2008
Have managed to cut down from the 10+ markers I used to have, but still get a twitchy paypal button everytime a Timmy comes up for sale...

Reactions: NinjaDan666

Bolter

Administrator
Aug 19, 2003
Kettering
www.facebook.com
Yea its like buying a new board with 5 gazillion different settings, different flashing lights .....

.....and all it has to do is shoot 10.5bps like the previous board did.

But hey.....its an upgrade right?

Edit: and i'll drop £100 on a barrel kit, and only use two of them ever.

Last edited:

matj

Mar 22, 2013
But it has a tournament lock and doesn't forget the settings! :ROFLMAO:

I think everyone (guilty) can find an excuse to buy something. My theory is that inanimate objects have more powers than we know...

For example an umbrella controls the weather. Leave it at home...p**sses it down. Take it with you...nothing.

PB must have a similar quality.... my guess would be either mind control or it's own gravitational pull.

on a serious note...
Anything new and shiny provides twice the amount of happiness as a few extra numbers in a bank account and it's that happiness that causes impulse buying in my opinion. The excellent prices of this forum don't help though! :LOL:

have to admit I wouldn't buy something that I can't use though....

Reactions: drew18 fr

GhostD

Apr 23, 2013
It seems that most people I know in paintball have what the missis calls addictive personalities, u just always want something...

I have 2 sets of goggles, but I really want some grills, I don't need them and I keep telling myself that it's 4 cases of paint....

I am trying to be good :/

Last edited: