Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Snake Advice

WelshSam

Jun 18, 2014
Hi all I am relatively new to tournament paintball and currently spending alot of time snake side, but the issue is I find alot of the time I am being shot off the break while making a run for it. Any advice and tips would be much appreciated

frosty

warped player
Aug 9, 2005
solihull
w
Run faster, get lower, dive earler ......... alternatively try bumping into the snake rather than trying to make it off the break

Spikerz

Super Moderator
Mar 25, 2014
Also the back/mid player that's behind you, is going to become your best friend. Often times they're your only air cover, and the only way you'll hear calls. Listen to them and really get on the same page they are.

Most teams lane the snake off the break, snake, both corners, D side, pretty standard. Bump out fast after the break, or look for ways to angle your run to keep bunkers between you and the lanes. If you know the snake lanes you'll know what to avoid.

Tony Harrison

What is your beef with the Mac?
Mar 13, 2007
Switch sides. Playing the teabags might suit you better.

If not, try being the middle guy.

southernP8nt

Aug 20, 2008
My experience of playing snake is literally 3 training sessions and 1 tournament about 4 years ago, so I'm probably not much use but oh well!

I'm tall for a snake player at 6'3", not exceptionally quick, and so am essentially a big, slow moving target. I found that there was no way that I was able to consistently beat the lane that was being put down on the snake.

So next time you play try looking for alternatives to going straight for snake, either a slight pause at a bunker that is en route until whoever is laying down the lane stops, or look for a route that avoids the initial lane entirely and provides more cover when moving to snake. For example you'll see some field layouts where instead of going straight to snake you could bump to back left and move straight up the tape from there, which provides much better cover than the direct route.

Reactions: Kevin Winter

Liam Moisey

Jun 14, 2012
The obvious basics, keep your head down and move fast, depending on the field you'll see sometimes if you change the angle of your run slightly you'll put more bunkers between you and them. Another tip is keep your hand up in front of your mask as it's less likely to burst if it hits your hand then your mask... When you get into the snake, advice I was given once is to count to 5, before sticking your head straight back up, or your popping up as they're still shooting... Best of luck

Kevin Winter

Dec 10, 2008
Personally, I'd avoid the hand by the mask - you want to be able to see as much as possible - try and get as much info as you can as you run; can you see the lanes of paint?
Lots of the earlier advice is excellent - make sure you walk the field, see what shots there are on your run. COnsider delaying in a bunker and dropping into snake later in the game. Talk to the rest of your team - if there's a spot on the field that's shooting you, can they put some paint on them to interfere?
Also, you dn't always have to run headlong into the snake - set up on the start gate as a runner (gun back, crouched to spring - and the opposition will KNOW your're going straight in. Set up to run and gun, and you might fool them into thinking you're not going snake and dropping the lane. You could also run and gun for a part of your run to put in someone.
Perhaps it's even better to not play the snake on some fields - if there is a good bunker to lock down the snake, you can lock the opposition off from playing it effectively and negate the need to have someone in there.
Most of all, don't be predictable - mix it up a little, have two or three alternative plans and change them about,, and the opposition (especially if playing reace2 format) won't be able to just lane the entrance to snake one every point.
As Laim said, once you're in - don't put your head straight up - for at least the first few seconds, the opposition will have called your position and have at least one gun focussed on you. You do see lots of people getting blasted a few seconds after making the snake. Sometimes, just keeping your head down and attracting fire is enough to allow the rest of the team to get some kills.

Dave284

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2008
The obvious basics, keep your head down and move fast, depending on the field you'll see sometimes if you change the angle of your run slightly you'll put more bunkers between you and them. Another tip is keep your hand up in front of your mask as it's less likely to burst if it hits your hand then your mask... When you get into the snake, advice I was given once is to count to 5, before sticking your head straight back up, or your popping up as they're still shooting... Best of luck

That's such bad advice.

You always need to keep your eyes down field. You're going to be at a huge disadvantage in the snake, relying on your team to let you know exactly where people are. Why keep your head down when it's one of the best times to see where people are going and where lanes are coming in? Be ready to change your run at a seconds notice if you see a lane coming in right where you're about to dive, pull short and hit a different bunker. Hand in front of your face? retarded, same reasons as above. Blocks vision, can't see who's where. Count to 5 before looking? Good in theory, bad in the way it was conveyed. Don't be too eager to stick your head up, you can tell if someones shooting your bunker or above it, so keep your ears and eyes open.

Too many times I see kids thrown straight into the snake because they're small and quick, play as a back player, or a second for a bit - get some field awareness. Figure out how to play the game. Field awareness and communication wins games, not body structure. You'll be able to understand how to shoot people a lot better after trying to stop them from doing it to you.

What I'm saying; Play everywhere. Get some field awareness and an understanding of what it takes to play where. If you're getting shot off the break going straight into the snake, don't go straight in. Work the field.

Reactions: Care_Bears

Mr.Vanguard

Apr 26, 2014
South East
Playing snake is difficult getting into it even harder, i have tried snake and intend on keeping playing snake its a lot of fun, think of yourself as an Olympic runner they start off low almost crouched, keep one hand down to balance your self and your gun behind you touching the breakout bunker now that you are it this position when you breakout your going to have that extra bit of force behind you as your back leg pushes off whilst you are running keep yourself low concentrate on the bunker you want to get into usually your going to have a backplayer covering you laning the backplayer who will be shooting you whilst you are getting into snake, now of course you dont have to go straight into snake you can play your way up to snake taking player by player out until you are no longer under fire of the opposing team.
Other Tips
Timer- You want to be the first to start moving off break so pay attention to the countdown 3...2...1 on that horn you wanna be the first off break

Walk the field- Know your field lanes, bunkers, positions

Know your back player he can be your best mate when your playing snake talk to him he's the only one keeping you from getting hit talk to him know his style of play also

communication key to progress talk to your team mates call players out etc

good luck buddy your gonna need it

Reactions: liamgreen09

Liam92

#16 Reading Entity
Nov 4, 2009
Glasgow, Scotland
there's a lot of conflicting advise here so I'll sum it up for you.

1. Be fully aware of whats happening while you move, eyes up, ready to adjust your approach, using your team mates to help you get there.
2. Do not start like you're a track sprinter, its such a giveaway and not worth it for the extra 0.2 seconds you'll gain over such a short distance.
3. Be patient. and that means if necessary stopping short and controlling the field rather than making a desparate move.
This includes in the snake itself. If somebody is stopping you from moving up don't try to jump through a lane or get in a gunfight, control your zone, edge people out and make moves when they present themself.

Trying to sprint to the 50 off the break might work in division 5 playing teams who have sloppy lanes, but this is the best advise i can give you in my experience playing as a snake attacker with elite/spl/cpl teams.