Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Snap shooting Properly-make sure to read

Problem

Oct 5, 2001
Visit site
Back on Track

This could do with a little less arrogance and a little more helpfulness. The original post was snap-shooting; who cares about the source, let's discuss the technique and go from there.

I knew I sucked at the technique and watched the AM and Nov experts at my home field. There are, and I'm sure this is an incomplete list, three snapping techniques.

The first is the classical one: hip to the bunker (facing outwards), appropriate grip to keep the elbow in, only the upper half of the body moving. Come out firing (yes, maybe hitting the back of the bunker) and go back in without waiting, maybe 3 or 4 rapid shots at most. [Some prefer using the "wrong" hand to hold the marker (right hand grip to shoot out left side) as they feel crossing over tucks the left elbox in even further.]

The second is in a tighter bunker where you don't have the luxury to stand. It becomes too hard to use just upper body - on your knees, kneeling or squatting, there's probably more of a lean out involved, upper body and hips and thighs. Some players lock a foot under the bunker or stretch out a leg to the opposite side as a counterbalance. Some players don't lean out the side but lean back away from the bunker to be at an angle to their targets. The bunker size and your making love to the back of that bunker to stay tight will determine how best to move.

The newest way I've learned, probably partly towards the best way, is to glance out briefly and get back in, mentally keeping the picture of your target, align your stance/body posture/marker in an already aligned position aiming at the mental image of your target, and then snap out and back in with maybe 2 or 3 rapid shots.

Timing can't be ignored, as many have commented, but to those who say to shoot out the far side of where the paint is flying, or to wait for the pause, I would just respond that the opposition response to snapping is posting. If someone is posting on you, your snapping technique becomes more important than your timing. That first glance out and back in might have told you if you're under a sniper's glass.

Maybe its just me, and I don't pretend I have the best answers, but any answer was better than the slams above. And yes, the original post should have been less ridiculous and overconfident and mistake-filled, but some intelligent conversation would have been more helpful.

Larry

marky H

Jul 29, 2002
Visit site
I have read all of your comments, and think Larry is right, leave the poor kid alone, he seems to be a normal enthusistic 13 year old.
How many of you wrote such controversial postings at his age? Yeah, he needs to tidy his act up a bit and think of his audience, but how many of you have seen people you talk to glaze over when you tell them about paintball?
Are we all so perfect that we can destroy this guys enthusiasm because he posted it in an enthusiastic rush?
The idea is post your thoughts, and see what replies you get.
The subject matter was snap shooting, and you were all curious enough to read it, so there is obviously a need for the forum on this subject. It is a shame that Larry is one of the few who really wants to add value to the initial posting.

Larry
As to your comments, the third version, I recommend that you dont just look out the first go, bring the gun out as well. If you do, you might get the chance to snap a couple of shots off, and if you bring it all back behind the baracade in a line, and go back out on the same line, you should have your target already there to shoot, then it is just a matter of timeing and accuracy (with a bit of luck thrown in):D

I may be old too but at least I can appreciate the passion for the sport, and recognise that kids are kids and old men are grumpy old farts who need love too.:eek:
So all of you keep writing but go easy on each other its just a forum. Take your aggression onto the field and use it when you open the cans of whoopass.

Play hard, play fair and enjoy it for what it is

Mark

Problem

Oct 5, 2001
Visit site
Mark:
I don't disagree about the value of catching a target of opportunity by bringing your marker out with you in that split second to snap. But the third version was definitely for occassions when you are under fire, in a duel or toe to toe.

The tiny amount of extra time bringing out the marker would involve exposing you might not be the wisest. If you don't have a target acquired when you come out, you're in need of aim adjustment -- if they're already firing, you're in their stream.

True, you can outsnap someone posting on you, we've all done it on occassion. But you can minimize the risk with the quick glance (a much quicker, much less exposed movement), then acquire your target and set your pre-aimed marker in the safety of your bunker. You have increased the chances of not being shot coming out, actually hitting your target, and not getting spotted and shot going back in after the snap many fold.

It's all good, and ultimately the paintball with your name on it may be coming no matter how fast you are or what technique you use.

Cheers.
Larry

Buddha 3

Hamfist McPunchalot
I'm with Nate all the way

Originally posted by Mr Big
For god's sake you lot, he's a 13 yr kid who's more passionate about the game that any of you were at his age.
Not only that, he's also more eloquent than a lot of people that are frequent contributors to this forum. Okay, his spelling may be a bit off sometimes, but there are a good number of posters on here who's posts I have to read whilst standing on my head in order to make any sense of them at all. :D

Originally posted by Mr Big
Ant
The skillest mod on the pball scene
Hah! You wish!:D

marky H

Jul 29, 2002
Visit site
GUN UP ON THE FIRST LOOK OR NOT???

Larry,
I always used to take a quick look out first time, but found this often alerted the oposition to the following snap shot attempt. So I tried moving back a little and coming out in a straight line at 90 degrees to the target (not around the barricade), this gave me no resistance to the return, and therefore I actually felt with practise it became a quicker move and with the gun up, even if you fired a couple which were wide of the mark, you knew where you were going for the next shots.
Also there is nothing more unsettling than knowing the other guys paint is getting closer every time he comes out.
The look is just as effective as the way I am suggesting, but you get a lot of the work done early so the second go is more accurate, and you are not working on an image in your head that if you get wrong you have to start again.

I dont believe there is only one way that works, and I was suggesting a variation to your third reccomendation.
All of your suggested methods work, and pulling a snapshot off when under pressure is almost as good as a mugging. I was trying to suuport your comments and add to content for others.

Mark

PS sorry I was slow to respond, I get married tomorrow, so been a bit hectic of late :D

cappy

TEAM WORLORDS
Feb 11, 2002
hinckley
Visit site
leave the kid alone

Hey guys why dont you lot leave the kid alone, If he thinks that he's giving help to people then let him.But how come all you so called pros think that the game revolves around you, people have to start some were,:( if the guy is giving advice then it is his to do so,so therefore please dont shoot the guy down in flames,for speaking his mind.....:D thank you ( and dont soot me for speaking mine....)

Problem

Oct 5, 2001
Visit site
Marky H.

What I love about argueing pb is that the level of detail we go to (a millimeter here, your trouser button as a hard spot for paint to break on, the merits of a 12 inch vs 14 in bbl). When it all comes down to it, it's how fast you acted, your action's level of protected movement and outlay of paintballs, and luck.

Some snap shooting situations will lend themselves to your comments (not always looking), such as when you are extremely close (like next door) to your target. I'm going to hold to my theory that the glance out still is the best all around approach because it doesn't give away something that the opponent can do much about (since you're about to light them up), doesn't create an exposure, and yet has many benefits to up the odds in your favour when you come out already aimed mental picture locked in and speed all on your side of the equation.

But its all good, luck still gets me more often then any decent opponent,
Cheers,
Larry

marky H

Jul 29, 2002
Visit site
A quick look first

Larry,

Just got back from Honeymoon, and read your comments, I now understand the difference in our styles, I don't have a brain, and therefore cannot retain the mental image once I have returned to the safety of my bunker. Perhaps thats why my friends call me Goldfish???:D
No jokes aside, as you say it comes down to each individuals style that they get comfortable with, but being able to switch styles is what really keeps the opposition on their toes.
On numerous occassions I have been told " I hate going one on one with you as I never know what you are going to do next, you really make me work to get close" I like to believe that this is because I am a thinking player who always changes his approach depending on the circumstances, but the reality is probably that as I am a goldfish I cannot remember what to do and therefore make it up a fresh each time it happens...

Remember when you kick Ass ALWAYS leave a footprint

catch you later

Mark
:D

Northy_Delta

stop bitchin start playin
Aug 5, 2002
Harrogate AKA Toytown
Visit site
Originally posted by Acidd_UK
Arrgh..... can't take it...... Master Chop Chop coming on strong.......

"You spellin' BAD!"
"You punctuatin' BAD"
"You capitalizin' AWFUL!"

You gotta believe!
'Your post BORING'
leave the guy alone. at least nate has but some effort in to his post. good on ya nate.