The Home Of European Paintball

Spelling lessons

Status
Not open for further replies.

dodge-gnome

Save a rock, throw an Ion
Nov 13, 2010
Gloucestershire
what also kills me is Americanisms and spelling creeping into our beautiful language - 'humor' etc..

it's mainly down to indolence
:)
Whenever they feel it suitable to replace an "-ise" with an "-ize" (Realize....visualize...)
Changing a childs first word of "mum" to "mom" And my all time pet hate when they skip out a few letters and create..............ALUMINUM! :tsk:

JPeck

Jul 8, 2010
Essex, UK
Personally English is not my strong point I find it quite hard, but I allways read what I write to make sure it make sense just wish other people did this it takes all of 10 seconds.

gldnandy1987

They call me Doc
Oct 12, 2010
flintshire
i see spelling mistakes all the time in work, yesterday we had a contracting firm in who put a sign up that read 'please except our apologies for any inconvinences' (yes that is exactly what it said, and the same sign said 'established 1930' i pointed it out to a colleague who couldnt see the error. made me laugh

Lump

one case one kill
Sep 20, 2004
in the ABYSS
i see spelling mistakes all the time in work, yesterday we had a contracting firm in who put a sign up that read 'please except our apologies for any inconvinences' (yes that is exactly what it said, and the same sign said 'established 1930' i pointed it out to a colleague who couldnt see the error. made me laugh
2.40 in

[youtube]hhiPUV20kmc[/youtube]

Rebel Tackleberry

Mar 23, 2010
I must say that bad spelling and grammar are a pet hate of mine. I'm not saying it has to be perfect, but being easy to read is definitely preferable.

Someone asked why it should matter, as long as you can understand it? That depends on how much effort needs to be put in to undertand it. Written communication should put the onus of effort fully on the writers side. The reader shouldn't need to make any effort if the writer has done their job correctly. The reason it matters is because as soon as you start not being bothered it means standards slip and they then continue to slip further towards non-existent. This is the root of the issue we see already, schools are not enforcing those standards and work doesn't get marked down for errors. If there is no detriment then why should anyone make the effort to be correct?

What if we applied that logic to other areas? Let's say not to bother if you get charged the right amount in a shop, whether you get correct change, whether your employer pays you correctly, whether your taxi/train turns up on time. Where does it stop?

People obviously know they 'cannot spell' but that is mostly a cop out for 'I can't be bothered'. As someone else pointed out, many claiming to be dyslexic have no problem spelling it but can't spell other words. As Robbo pointed out, paintball must be a sport that attracts dyslexics as we seem to have a lot claiming this. There are people that genuinely suffer from this affliction and to have it being used as a general excuse is awful.

If a red line appears under a word then you can click and have it corrected. Then learn which words you spell wrong and make that tiny bit of effort to get it right next time. If you learn to spell one of those awkward words a day then you'll improve dramatically in a month.

The most awful thing is when errors creep in to things like official letters and signs, as per another example above. Good written and oral communication will always be a big factor in one persons initial assessment of another's intelligence. That's just human nature, as there is usually a general correlation between the two.

Cook$

Just the tip....
Jul 7, 2001
Championsville
I must say that bad spelling and grammar are a pet hate of mine. I'm not saying it has to be perfect, but being easy to read is definitely preferable.

Someone asked why it should matter, as long as you can understand it? That depends on how much effort needs to be put in to undertand it. Written communication should put the onus of effort fully on the writers side. The reader shouldn't need to make any effort if the writer has done their job correctly. The reason it matters is because as soon as you start not being bothered it means standards slip and they then continue to slip further towards non-existent. This is the root of the issue we see already, schools are not enforcing those standards and work doesn't get marked down for errors. If there is no detriment then why should anyone make the effort to be correct?

What if we applied that logic to other areas? Let's say not to bother if you get charged the right amount in a shop, whether you get correct change, whether your employer pays you correctly, whether your taxi/train turns up on time. Where does it stop?

People obviously know they 'cannot spell' but that is mostly a cop out for 'I can't be bothered'. As someone else pointed out, many claiming to be dyslexic have no problem spelling it but can't spell other words. As Robbo pointed out, paintball must be a sport that attracts dyslexics as we seem to have a lot claiming this. There are people that genuinely suffer from this affliction and to have it being used as a general excuse is awful.

If a red line appears under a word then you can click and have it corrected. Then learn which words you spell wrong and make that tiny bit of effort to get it right next time. If you learn to spell one of those awkward words a day then you'll improve dramatically in a month.

The most awful thing is when errors creep in to things like official letters and signs, as per another example above. Good written and oral communication will always be a big factor in one persons initial assessment of another's intelligence. That's just human nature, as there is usually a general correlation between the two.

HAHA! Seriously, I spent about 20 mins trying to find a mistake. :)

Reactions: Lump

Bambulus

Wreckballer - PMGWC#2
Nov 13, 2008
that special place.
www.leekspin.com
Aocdcrnig to rseecrah at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mttaer in waht oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rhgit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whoutit a pboerlm. Tihs is bucseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey ltteer by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Aaznmig, huh? Yaeh and I awlyas tghhuot slelinpg was ipmorantt!

maca

Gorrilaz
Sep 1, 2009
stratford london
Aocdcrnig to rseecrah at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mttaer in waht oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rhgit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whoutit a pboerlm. Tihs is bucseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey ltteer by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Aaznmig, huh? Yaeh and I awlyas tghhuot slelinpg was ipmorantt!

Taht raelly deos wrok, vrey ipmersesd Bmaulbus

Status
Not open for further replies.