Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

spyder imagine: Are they a good place to start?

Lucky

Platinum Member
Sep 1, 2004
rochester, UK
ok as i started this, i'd better say my bit.
I'll admit straight away that i sold my daughter and the cat to earn myself a few more rupees and went out and bought a pro-stock autococker, but probably not for any of the reasons stated previously in this thread.
i looked long and hard at the available guns before parting with my money, and mugged a couple of spyder owners at my local site, stole their toys, played with them, stripped them, rebuilt them and played again.
The outcome was that i was mighty impressed with the spyder imagine, it shoots straight and at a reasonable pace and i couldn't
really fault it's performance for a cheap gun, "but" all the guns i looked at and tried had got new barrels and delron bolts, so straight away the cost of the cheap spyder is at least £200, and the gun does need these mods to function as a respectable marker and i was really suprised at the body & bolt wear on standard guns.
The reason for me buying the cocker was durability, which i can't dismiss on the spyder because i don't know but no-one ever seems to have a high milage spyder.
I wonder why?
At the end of the day if the spyder meets your needs then go for one, but change the bolt before even pulling the trigger once.
Don't be a fashion victim with the latest toys, most people can't use them effectivley and anyway you'll learn more skills with a smaller gun.
ps. if your going to spend £200 on a spyder, don't rule out the piranha evo at £250, nice for the money, or the pro-stock cocker can be had for under £300 now.

Pump'n'Splat

Ambassador of BOING!
Autococker is a good choice, but not the best place to start.....they can be a bit technical, they are definitely a good, the most accurate with a good paint/barrel match and infintely upgradeable marker though.

You say that a Spyder will cost you £200 after you've upgraded it? Not usually the case...most 2nd hand spyders have been upgraded by their owners, I know I did and have...and then when the owner moves on they tend to just be happy to part with it for around the hundred mark. Never experienced the bolt problem though....I always used stock bolts (except a cyclone upgrade bolt on my Sonixtra thing) and never had cause for complaint, especially regarding wear.

And while we're on spending £200 for a gun...the omen is a beauty, solid, nice looking, good weight, innovative features and Electric cocker-like performance at a decent price (Plus PMI Europe support are top-notch)

Lucky

Platinum Member
Sep 1, 2004
rochester, UK
cheaper 2nd hand yes i agree as all guns are, but do you know it's history? you could be buying a dog !
I stand by the £200 for new, as the spyders i've seen have had heavy wear from using the stock bolt.
Ps i like my cocker as i like to fiddle with guns, old engineers can never not take something apart, "just to have a look" !