Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

State of UK paintball

F3Z

Mar 17, 2003
Bristol, UK
Not sure I fully agree with the fashion show bit. I know what you're saying, people wanna look good with the latest shiny gear but why the hell not if its the hobby you choose to enjoy? For top level players, as good as the budget gear is there aint much chance that the lower end stuff will take the battering that a full season of XBall will dish out. I remember the EXL04 season and I used Lathams EBlade all year, that thing needed overhauling a couple of times through pure abuse, same goes for new kit. I ain't saying you need to buy brand new kit every year but cheap ass stuff or really old gear just can't cut it game after game after game.

A great baller will always be able to destroy with cheaper kit against noobs with top end stuff but for a whole season? I wouldn't risk it.
I think the whole point is about getting into paintball costs too much which was rebutted with the cheap kit... you take it to a new level by saying top end players can't use cheap kit all season as it wont cope and yes in most situations you're right (Been using a SFT Shocker for the last 10 years only upgraded this Christmas) . However people getting into the sport aren't going to be playing sat and Sunday every weekend. If they are then they better have the money for the top kit.

SeanUK

Jan 5, 2013
www.planetpaintball.co.uk
I think the main reason the UK isnt thriving greatly in the paintball field, is because the businesses are more into the money rather than the fun.
After speaking with Simon Cole (i think he appeard on Paintball Show) he to also said that he believes that the UK are going on the business route and agrees with it.
I on the other hand don't think 100% business is the right way.

I understand venues out there have to provide a place to 'ball and they also have to make money, but i think some factors putting people off are things as such as:
- Paint cost
- Lack of "maps"
- Naff paint
Naff paint is deffinatly an issue for me because when i pay £35 for a box of paint and its dimpled like mad, i get abit miffed because for that much money ide want something better.

The venues themself are spot on, friendly staff and are great crowd of guys to be around.

I don't think its ever going to be solved over night as the UK can't really offer it out like the americans can

mrb2287

Platinum Member
May 1, 2010
Darlington
I think your missing the point here.
Sites HAVE to make money otherwise you have nowhere to ball!
If the money isn't coming in then they cant spend it on making new or better maps.
As a result of that they simply cannot give you what you want at cost price.

I personally think people need to support there local sites more

Last edited:
Reactions: SeanUK and F3Z

SeanUK

Jan 5, 2013
I think your missing the point here.
Sites HAVE to make money otherwise you have nowhere to ball!
If the money isn't coming in then they cant spend it on making new or better maps.
As a result of that they simply cannot give you what you want at cost price.

I personally think people need to support there local sites more
Im not missing the point at all, i said "they also have to make money"
I was saying my main issue is deffinatly QUALITY of paint, and if im paying £35 for POOR quality paint, it does miff me.
If the quality of paint was better ide have no issue with £35 a box even £40, just aslong as it was quality paint

I support my local and choose to go there more than other sites
But the last 2 times ive been the quality of paint has been terrible, several boxes bought have had semi-circular balls due to flat spots.
This could be down to how long the boxes have been sat there and would come down to how the site regulate their paint

I have no issues personally with how many maps a site has, i went to WarFighters which is basically a barn but i absolutely loved it
but others may want more variation.

I support all UK venues as where would we be without them?

mrb2287

Platinum Member
May 1, 2010
Darlington
I was saying my main issue is deffinatly QUALITY of paint, and if im paying £35 for POOR quality paint, it does miff me.
If the quality of paint was better ide have no issue with £35 a box even £40, just aslong as it was quality paint

I support my local and choose to go there more than other sites
But the last 2 times ive been the quality of paint has been terrible, several boxes bought have had semi-circular balls due to flat spots.
This could be down to how long the boxes have been sat there and would come down to how the site regulate their paint
Mmmm yea to a certain extent but the majority of the time you find paint quality is down to manufacture i.e not a proper ball fill creating an air pocket. If the boxes have been stood around a long time and at the wrong temps that will also make a difference.
For my own curiosity what paint was this?

I support all UK venues as where would we be without them?
Exactly! I along with a few others regularly go down to our local site and take charge of tidying up zones and creating new bunkers, and general maintanence because we want to play decent zones. People expect everything done yesterday, urning up and playing is all well and good but if more got physically involved who knows what copuld be done, many hands an all that....

Reactions: 5amwise

SeanUK

Jan 5, 2013
For my own curiosity what paint was this?
I believe it was DXS Bronze or of bronze nature

Exactly! I along with a few others regularly go down to our local site and take charge of tidying up zones and creating new bunkers, and general maintanence because we want to play decent zones. People expect everything done yesterday, urning up and playing is all well and good but if more got physically involved who knows what copuld be done, many hands an all that....
^ Agreed.
Theres a few of us who do as above and help out with marshelling.
Im even quite happy to help others playing with gear. I take several spares with me incase anyone needs a hand
i.e - Batteries, o-rings, Jersey's, gloves, anti-fog spray etc just to help out another 'baller so they can take part in the days activities
and its nice to know that when you went to a walkon which other members support, it also gives the venue a a good name

mrb2287

Platinum Member
May 1, 2010
Darlington
Theres a few of us who do as above and help out with marshelling.
Im even quite happy to help others playing with gear. I take several spares with me incase anyone needs a hand
i.e - Batteries, o-rings, Jersey's, gloves, anti-fog spray etc just to help out another 'baller so they can take part in the days activities
and its nice to know that when you went to a walkon which other members support, it also gives the venue a a good name
Again thats all well and good, infact quite comendable for lending and helping sort gear on walk-on day. As for marshalling well thats not really the issue there are loads of marshals and they get paid.
I personally work 6 and sometimes 7days a week, but i make time to go down after work to build new stuff and ensure that not only is the site maintained but that it is constantly improving.

Maybe thats just me but i think people are too quick to criticise on cost when they have no idea just how wafer thin the margins between surviving and going bust are.