Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

State of UK paintball

tones

Dec 9, 2012
So I can give you my perspective as someone who is still a bit of an outsider/new to the sport, I've only ever played recreationally, probably about once a year for 10 years, haha. Apologies if this has already been raised (i haven't read every post in the thread) but I dont think its kit price or whatever putting people off, people love pouring cash into a hobby, its more the overall image of paintball.

I've played a couple of times recently once was with work which was really good. I was enthusiastically talking about it to some mates, the seemed well up for it and three of us ended up just going last min one Saturday. Thing was we were laughing about it the whole day, NO ONE just goes and plays paintball surely?????? The perception seems to be that while its really good fun it should be reserved for birthdays, team building, stag do's etc. People almost seem embarrassed to just go in a small group to a field an play :(

Liam92

#16 Reading Entity
Nov 4, 2009
Glasgow, Scotland
So I can give you my perspective as someone who is still a bit of an outsider/new to the sport, I've only ever played recreationally, probably about once a year for 10 years, haha. Apologies if this has already been raised (i haven't read every post in the thread) but I dont think its kit price or whatever putting people off, people love pouring cash into a hobby, its more the overall image of paintball.

I've played a couple of times recently once was with work which was really good. I was enthusiastically talking about it to some mates, the seemed well up for it and three of us ended up just going last min one Saturday. Thing was we were laughing about it the whole day, NO ONE just goes and plays paintball surely?????? The perception seems to be that while its really good fun it should be reserved for birthdays, team building, stag do's etc. People almost seem embarrassed to just go in a small group to a field an play :(
well this only applies to playing what you could call punterball which is what you've done from the sounds of things, so buying paintball packages ranging from £30-60 for 500 balls or whatever. for the vast majority of people on these forums you will find that their play consists of walk-ons at local sites, scenario games, airball tournaments and the training that goes with it. all of these are exceptionally lower priced than playing punterball, £45 or so every few weeks isn't that much surely. it just becomes a lot when your annual gear budget is like £1200+

digitalman

Apr 21, 2011
Uckfield East Sussex
I was playing at Campaign Players Club this weekend and throughgout the day there was a constant stream of mini punters coming and going. It was the first time I've played there and I had a great day and looking at their faces I would say they had a great day too. Right from the off the site guys were friendly, easily identified and made sure you knew exactly where to go and where everything was. They had a great safe area/kit prep area with lots of room and enough staff to make you feel your kit was safe when you were off playing.
Well run sites, with good helpful staff, giving you a good days play mixed with a fair price will keep the sport/hobby running. From the mini punters will come the requests to play with the walk on guys, and then if we can show them the next step, then they will become players with their own kit.

tones

Dec 9, 2012
well this only applies to playing what you could call punterball which is what you've done from the sounds of things, so buying paintball packages ranging from £30-60 for 500 balls or whatever. for the vast majority of people on these forums you will find that their play consists of walk-ons at local sites, scenario games, airball tournaments and the training that goes with it. all of these are exceptionally lower priced than playing punterball, £45 or so every few weeks isn't that much surely. it just becomes a lot when your annual gear budget is like £1200+
I agree with what your saying I just think you missed my point a bit fella, I'm cool with how much it costs. There seems to be a lot of people moaning that paintball is dying etc. I was simply saying that I think for it to attract new players (if that's what paintball needs) it just needs to be considered a normal recreational activity, not something that you do once or twice for a laugh.

F3Z

Mar 17, 2003
Bristol, UK
I agree with what your saying I just think you missed my point a bit fella, I'm cool with how much it costs. There seems to be a lot of people moaning that paintball is dying etc. I was simply saying that I think for it to attract new players (if that's what paintball needs) it just needs to be considered a normal recreational activity, not something that you do once or twice for a laugh.
I think this is where everyone gets confused and resorts to the age old money issue. It's easier to blame the cost of a sport for it's lack of growth (especially when the news is telling us everyday we're all skint) however its more likely to be opinions, ideas and /or laziness. Hell of a lot easier to shoot some bad guys on a PS3 than have to run around in the mud..

The other thing is paintball grew to a unsustainable size in the UK without the market growth anywhere ready to catch up with it. I am not sure how many business' are left but there were over 450 paintball business' in the UK 6(ish) years ago and still more opening all the time. What I can't work out though is I'm still seeing business open up now. Did enough of them fall over that there is now a gap or is the same thing re-occurring again? Personally I think it likely to be the latter.

PortoX

DCF Footsoldier.
Apr 18, 2006
Ashbourne (Derbyshire)
www.myspace.com
Just to take a few examples from our University. We have plenty of activities that can cost just as much like American Football, Golf, Skydiving, Snow sports,Climbing, Sailing, Surfing, Windsurfing and plenty more that you could spend more on if you wanted. As much as we would all love to play every weekend for free, why should we. The industry needs to make money, and it's not going going to do that by supplying every team in the country with sponsorship. We have members who have managed to get fully kitted up for around £300..
The point is made by liam92 - the kit levels too high for the average student. Where it is easier to knock a ball down a fairway with some kit from sports direct. The suggestion I was making was not to be given kit. But to RENT the kit a like to sites but the kits more along the lines of PMR's, ETEKs, ETHAs, so that the levels not too high for someone to think 'well I could buy this for 300 - 400 chuck the older halo or whatever on it and let rip.' ATM I see kids running to their bunkers with a setup in the 1000 bracket. It would be nigh on impossible to manage a 'lower kit level league' but it would be a healthier welcome to someone new than to witness little joe's mummy and daddys credit card making them inferior.

Cook$ - Making it better for the people already here when they don't know what they want is going to be an uphill struggle.

F3Z

Mar 17, 2003
Bristol, UK
Are you saying it is easier to knock a ball down a fairway by renting kit than going to your local site and renting kit? Are you also saying that some kid with a £1000 gat will have an advantage over someone with a £150 Ion, 3k air with a halo set up?

You could have a lower level kit league simply by having mech only events. As for electo's when we are all capped at the same rof which 10 year old guns the kit doesn't really matter on a general performance level.

I may have missed your points completely here. Wasn't entirely sure what you were trying to say.

Reactions: cheyenne

PortoX

DCF Footsoldier.
Apr 18, 2006
Ashbourne (Derbyshire)
www.myspace.com
Are you saying it is easier to knock a ball down a fairway by renting kit than going to your local site and renting kit? Are you also saying that some kid with a £1000 gat will have an advantage over someone with a £150 Ion, 3k air with a halo set up?

You could have a lower level kit league simply by having mech only events. As for electo's when we are all capped at the same rof which 10 year old guns the kit doesn't really matter on a general performance level.

I may have missed your points completely here. Wasn't entirely sure what you were trying to say.
You have my point completely. I'm just saying that in terms of tournament scenes its a daunting prospect when you start out and someones got the latest greatest piece of kit and has played say a years ball in comparison to a novice who has a setup from 06 and has played only recball. The kit doesn't make the player however it does help. Levelling a playing field for a lesser experienced player / team would make it more appealing. You could advertise a rental tournament package to people who want to play that level but only know of punter ball / just generally interested. I'm literally talking about the new new tournament player here as well as a similar setup for uni's in order for them to compete / show interest.

5amwise

Wingnut
Sep 6, 2011
S****horpe
paintball is just a fashion show, it does not make a difference if you have a £1000 geo 3 or a £80 ion. both will shoot the maximum BPS limit, and both be capped at 300 fps velocity. spending more money on a marker isnt going to make a player any better, only practise will achieve this. players who are in the limbo of wanting to play tournament paintball but 'not wanting to get "beat down by all the pros with there thousand pound guns that hurt and shoot further than mine" just need educating. THEY ARE ALL THE SAME! all i can say is take your pocket money to the shops and buy yourself a snickers and GET SOME NUTS!

Al Woods

GFH Trouble Maker
Jul 7, 2001
Your 30
www.gfh-hq.com
Not sure I fully agree with the fashion show bit. I know what you're saying, people wanna look good with the latest shiny gear but why the hell not if its the hobby you choose to enjoy? For top level players, as good as the budget gear is there aint much chance that the lower end stuff will take the battering that a full season of XBall will dish out. I remember the EXL04 season and I used Lathams EBlade all year, that thing needed overhauling a couple of times through pure abuse, same goes for new kit. I ain't saying you need to buy brand new kit every year but cheap ass stuff or really old gear just can't cut it game after game after game.

A great baller will always be able to destroy with cheaper kit against noobs with top end stuff but for a whole season? I wouldn't risk it.

Reactions: 5amwise