Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Structural engineers or general smarty pants....

Dskize

I Would
Dec 6, 2004
Duntryin
I just got my mid-life crisis fish tank, 5x2x2 and I need to build a custom stand , tanks this size need to be bang on level so I am using adjustable feet , the feet are only rated at 250kg and the full tank would be in excess of 500kg when full (water plus structure plus glass).

So will 6 feet rated at 250 each at 6 points support the distributed load or not ...some told me the calculation was load/load points +10% but that could be bunkem...

Any help ??

Thank you .

frobinson

#14 Din Eidyn
Oct 25, 2011
Edinburgh
In simple mechanical terms, you would sum the forces in the vertical direction, hence yes the supports would be able to take the distributed load. However, you mention they are adjustable legs so if you effectively had one lower, or shorter, to keep the tank level, you will likely be exerting a greater force through that particular support.

As long as no single arm is taking too much of the load, it shouldn't be a problem. I'd assume that the arms had already been rated for buckling (this usually occurs before yield or collapse) which is why it's given you that rating of 250kg. Like I say, as long as you're not placing it on a 15degree angle or whatever, causing only a few arms to take a greater load, it should be okay.

However, I am only a second year Mechanical Engineering student and as such, I might not have given you the best answer, but I'd give it a bash anyway and see what happens ;) Best of luck

tricky m

Feb 17, 2010
leeds
The whole weight of the tank will be spread out between the legs. So 4 legs would only be holding 125kg each when level at 500kgs total weight. So 6 legs could hold a maximum of 1500kgs.

Dskize

I Would
Dec 6, 2004
Duntryin
Ta

My main concerns are that as mentioned I will need to adjust the legs to level the base , however I'm pretty sure this is only going to be millimetres so there should be a good distribution over all the support points and no overloading on one side as such.

I reckon I'm looking at 700kg max so should be comfortable assuming there is no extreme adjusting , they are self levelling feet which should help.

frobinson

#14 Din Eidyn
Oct 25, 2011
Edinburgh
Ta

My main concerns are that as mentioned I will need to adjust the legs to level the base , however I'm pretty sure this is only going to be millimetres so there should be a good distribution over all the support points and no overloading on one side as such.

I reckon I'm looking at 700kg max so should be comfortable assuming there is no extreme adjusting , they are self levelling feet which should help.
Yeah doesn't sound like you'll have too much trouble then! Sounds like the 6 legs should be perfect then :)

WihGlah

Autococker Tech
Jul 19, 2009
Oxford
There is 566 liters of space in that size tank, so your estimates for overall mass are about correct.

Also yes, 6 legs at 250kg each will support the structure.

Getting 6 legs to evenly support the mass is another thing entirely. You will need to make sure the compressive load through each is the same. And each time you adjust one, the other five will alter.

I suggest using a flat, comparatively unbendable base to place the tank on. Something like an inch of wood should work. That way the mass of the water won't create any uneven stress in the tank.

Reactions: frobinson

Dskize

I Would
Dec 6, 2004
Duntryin
Tropical with 2 Oscars in it , love to go reef but not ready to commit yet, its a good size for one though .

Dskize

I Would
Dec 6, 2004
Duntryin
There is 566 liters of space in that size tank, so your estimates for overall mass are about correct.

Also yes, 6 legs at 250kg each will support the structure.

Getting 6 legs to evenly support the mass is another thing entirely. You will need to make sure the compressive load through each is the same. And each time you adjust one, the other five will alter.

I suggest using a flat, comparatively unbendable base to place the tank on. Something like an inch of wood should work. That way the mass of the water won't create any uneven stress in the tank.
I've build the base out of 25mm MDF and 4 x2 timber frame with a centre crossbeam , that will hold the feet, the tank itself will sit on a timber frame with either ply or 25mm MDF as the base, the whole thing will be sheeted with 10mm oak panel on removable clips or rare earth magnets , I haven't got that far yet.

Last edited: