The Home Of European Paintball

Super 7's and its US Effect

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Originally posted by headrock6
Just provide the basics and the rest kinda just falls into place..Its just a shame its taken this long..Who woulda known pissing off WDP woulda sparked a revolution over here Stateside??;)

Head, first up, with regard to Raehl writing for the magazine, I hope this lets everybody know that I ain't a power unto myself either here or on the magazine, coz if I had my way, I would have that dick off the magazine sooo fast his college-boy ass wouldn't touch the ground, but alas, the powers that be need somebody to write all that boring crap and leave the real stuff to be written by people who know what they are talking about.

As for it taking a long time for a great tournament series to hit the US, this has to be one of the greatest and most pleasing ironies of all time.
I mean, in my opinion, Jerry has been resisting doing the right thing for years in favour of his pocket, this is his god, nothing else !!
Make no mistake about that !!!
And because of the way he treated WDP at this year's world cup, it sparked a chain of events that resulted in the birth of the Super 7's and it has come back to haunt him in many ways that he would have preferred not to, believe me !!

WDP's philosophy with regard to tournament promotion was a radical departure from any existing dogmas that held tournaments like the World cup in such a stranglehold.
WDP promoted an 'event', the world cup in comparison, was just a cheap tournament that made lots of money.
The difference can be explained quite easily, WDP invested into this tournament with a view, that if they could make it a huge success (which it was) then the industry would flock to sponsor it.
In my opinion, Jerry had pissed off so many people within the industry, tihs option was never open to them even if he had had the foresight and intent to go down the same road which he never would have anyway.
He followed his goal down the short dollar route cramming as much as he could into his pocket as he went along.
WDP's philosophy is a whole lot more sophisticated and involves actually giving the players and industry something to be proud of, in terms of involvement.
it is a package that services many needs, media, customer and the future.
And my parting shot on all this is, no matter what bollocks you hear from what party, just look at both tournaments and I mean really look.
Whatever spin, whatever excuse, whatever you hear, the proof is and always will be in the pudding and if I had anything to do with the world cup and I had been to Huntingdon beach, I would be holding my head in shame looking for the nearest exit door.
And as the French so succinctly put it, 'Vive la difference' !

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Matt, in my opinion, the Stateside tournament scene has now changed irreversibly. For years the US paintball industry has been waiting for a professionally run tournament series, for them to hang their respective hats.
WDP, in the form of the Super 7's has now provided them with such a vehicle.

The longevity and ultimate success of the Super 7's is not about WDP anymore, they have already been successful; it is more about the US paintball industry investing in the very thing they have all been wanting for.
If you had been there, you would have seen industry magnates like Dave Freeman of PMI completely blown away by what was on show there and has shown his support already by becoming one of the primary sponsors for the series.
He is just one of many that for the first time include a significant outside sponsorship package that I'm sure we will all soon hear about.

You are right to highlight the harsh realities that have thus far ensnared paintball but this time, WDP and Chuck have broken free and forever changed the face of the US tournament scene.
Pete

manike

INCEPTIONDESIGNS.COM
Jul 9, 2001
Cloud 9
www.inceptiondesigns.com
The thing to see will be how many major sponsors were so impressed by the HB 'Media Pack' and Pure Promotions that they back future events. From Robbo's account one major sponsor from inside the industry already has.

WDP have a record of getting sponsors from outside the industry also, and let's face it that's what we need!

Anyone remember Hyperball? Wasn't there a sports drink and a beer company sponsoring that? I think I remember a few others as well but it's been a few years.

Who knows, maybe what they have started will snowball... not like that happened with Hyperball and 'speedball tournaments' or anything ;) :D

I'm excited to see WDP getting into this. They don't do things by halves.

Beaker

Hello again
Jul 9, 2001
Wherever I may roam
imlr.org
Ed Poormans take on PSP/NPPL (From FoN interview)

My perspective on the two leagues is that the Super 7 and the NPPL joining with Pure Promotions are true events and everything else with the exception of the Millennium Series are just tournaments.
Got to say I agree.

rancid

Mother, is that you?
which boy cried wolf?

Jeez, this is outrageous. I make one post that questions the super 7 thingy and I get censored! My post has been deliberately deleted. Unbelievable.

Hey I remember Hyperball - it was my idea:rolleyes: Just for the record, WDP lost a considerable amount of money on that venture. Cripes, all my paintballing life I've had people question pgi's relationship with wdp. Ged is inspirational - but he will cut off his nose to spite his face. HB was a statement, and statements don't pay the bills.

All I'm saying is there seems to be a trend on these boards at the moment to confuse the sighting of the first swallow with the arrival of summer - you're all getting a bit over-excited.

Baca Loco

Ex-Fun Police
Matt,
Your post was in the 'Robbo and the Boards' thread, (as were the first few posts in this thread originally). Somebody separated out the Forum worthy posts and re-titled them in this thread so, after a couple of days of mulling over what to do with the 'Robo' thread I deleted it. Additionally, your post had a large, bold statement at the end of it stating "This thread is now closed" or something very similar. Reading that and only skimming the content of your post I didn't move it over to this thread.

PS--you might have posted in the Mod's Forum, ya know. :rolleyes: ;)

As to your p.o.v. regarding S7 you'll be quite surprised to know I agree with you. Too soon to start falling over ourselves that all is now right with the world. Still, a great possibility . . .

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
I never deleted anything Matt, weren't me mate, it was that baca geezer and I think he is over-using and abusing his moderator status and in protest I am now going over to Sparklie's board to bottom-feed with the rest of them :):)

Bloody p8ntballer and pgi !!!
It's all a frikkin carve up and conspiracy, you lot are a law unto yourselves, I'm outa here !!!!!

manike

INCEPTIONDESIGNS.COM
Jul 9, 2001
Cloud 9
www.inceptiondesigns.com
which boy cried wolf?

Originally posted by rancid
Just for the record, WDP lost a considerable amount of money on that venture.
They lost money on that event, but have no regrets since they subsequently made a fortune in the new 'version' of the industry that they started with it.

That event was a 'means to an end' as I also believe HB was.

You have to hand it to WDP that although they will sometimes cut their nose off to spite their face, they will also put their money where their mouth is.

They are also willing to take a chance and push everyone forwards. More often than not it's worked for them, and paintball.

Rich S

Platinum Member
Jan 17, 2002
Jersey
Originally posted by Robbo
Head, first up, with regard to Raehl writing for the magazine, I hope this lets everybody know that I ain't a power unto myself either here or on the magazine, coz if I had my way, I would have that dick off the magazine sooo fast his college-boy ass wouldn't touch the ground, but alas, the powers that be need somebody to write all that boring crap and leave the real stuff to be written by people who know what they are talking about.
if PGI want articles about university painball why not look at the UK scene, this year there has been some major advances in UK university paintball. i am sure one of the universitystudents on this forum would love to write for the mag.
i do not see the need for Raehls articles he is talking mainly on how to set up teams at us colleges - but the way he talks and about the leagues then why do teams need help setting up as there seems to be so many. the uk scene is different to the us and uni people in the uk need help, i get emails every couple of weeks asking how to set up a university club, as does rich kirke (i believe)