Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Tac vests for mags

Payney

Jun 24, 2013
Hey all just a quick question on what you all use for mags. Do you use Paintball specific vests or would a vest from an Army surplus shop suffice holding mags etc. The vest on magfeduk is £130 but don't really wanna be spending that kind of money if i can get one for a fraction of the cost. Have even looked at molle chest rigs etc. I want something a simple and light as possible.

MadmanK

Run in where others fear to tread
Feb 26, 2014
Wirral
Payney,

You can't go far wrong with a molle vest, plate carrier, chest rig etc.... which you can get from airsoft shops, paintball shops or proper military surplus stores (I got my standard plate carrier from an online military shop for around £60.00); The best thing about molle vests is that you can change your load out over time (as your markers change, your game style changes or even the actual magfed game changes over the day). Molle rigs can be simple molle belts which are like a pod carrier but if you go that route would recommend you get one that has a harness to stop it falling down around your knees.

If you do go the molle route, price up the magazine carriers, radio carriers, bottle carriers, dump pouch you need etc before you finally make up your mind as these molle add-ons can run up quite a bill.
Also, some paintball magazines are quite large and do not always fit in standard military magazine carriers; your usually fine with the rifle mags (M16/M4 size) but pistol mags can be larger than real weapon pistol mags and they do not always fit (I am thinking particularly of tiberius T8.1 mags).

I don't know your physical build but it is fair to say that standard military kit is "large" so it doesn't always work for smaller people / children and loose kit is a magfed players nightmare; all that rattling around the bushes is just a "please shoot me" call.

A standard military solution is not your only option; My wife hates the weight of the military kit so believe it or not she has a standard pod carrier (that you would use on a speedball field) and then has a molle 3-magazine carrier that she fits to the pod carrier; she runs around with a pistol; 3 extra mags, pod of paint and a pod of c02 cartridges (so she can do field reloads). When the we all go out, she becomes a mobile refuelling point for us which works well for the larger magfed games.

So as a short answer to your question, my sons and I use standard military kit, my wife uses mostly standard paintball kit.

Payney

Jun 24, 2013
Cheers for the responses peeps. Much appreciated. Got a much better idea on what to go for now!

skittles

Aug 29, 2014
On the back of this, any mag pouch made for 7.62 mags will hold the Maxtact / TGR magazines perfectly. I have a surplus-bought tac-vest with a couple of MOLLE 7.62 mag pouches; works a treat and as you've found, a cheaper route than the OMG vest