Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Take A Look At The NPPL Rate-Of-Fire Chips from Virtue

shoaibaktar

Jun 14, 2011
Agree with Ainsley the information is flawed as it has no connection to effectiveness .The school of thought that more is better,shown to be flawed as people run out of paint in long games.Just cause you turn a white bunker orange without sticking one ball on it,s occupant doesnt make you better than a quick kill.Ifeel this has more to do with the US idea that a sport is poorer for not having stats.Not a luddite but cant really see what this brings to the party

NickBrockdorff

Feb 4, 2012
Stats are always usefull, especially if they are accurate, How you interpret them, what stats you combine to form a complete picture and what philosophy you apply to them, is entirely up to you.

If you want to use them, to demonstrate that your backs are shooting too much, go ahead ;)

Gee Tee

1/2 man - 1/2 pogo stick
Mar 21, 2007
Dartford, UK
Rating a players ability based on how many times they pull the trigger???

What a load of crap

and they wonder why tournament ball is losing player support :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Ainsley

CPPS Chief Chimp
Mar 26, 2008
Staffordshire
Nick, I agree that stats are extremely useful - and elements of the stats these boards will produce will be a great start into the venture of being able to track players.....but stood on their own as a method of gauging a player's ability is fundamentally flawed.

Perhaps combined with other external data recorded, then they would have some true value....this may be where they're going anyway, and we just don't know the whole bag of tricks yet. Either way, it is a step forward and hope that it can be pulled off.

Watching the webcast last night, it might be more prudent to first include some more "current" player vital statistics into the pro leagues - the amount of players with height "0" was quite something. I was expecting some VERY interesting snake play only to be let down by someone playing with an actual body that could have been measured.

NickBrockdorff

Feb 4, 2012
But nobody would use stats "on their own" - they are a piece of the puzzle, that we have so far been missing.

Any kind of stats, will help a coach form a more complete picture.

One thing I have done for years, is ask players for their "kill count" at the end of each tournament..... and if they are below 0.50 kills per point, they are below par (really it's more like 0.40, but just to keep it simple ;)).... it's a good way of driving home the point, that paintball is - ultimately - about shooting the other guys, and it helps players make the right decisions on-field.

Dave284

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2008
Damage had these in their guns at one of last years tournaments, and it was quite good to see the read out. It doesnt just show how much paint was shot, but how long was spent off the trigger, how quick the first shot was from the start of the game and a few other interesting things, we'll see how its implemented...

Smally85

Super5ives 2010 Champions
You could make quite a straightforward correlation between more time on the trigger meaning you are a "better" player.
If I spend 50 seconds of a 60 second point shooting that is better than the guy who spent 20 seconds shooting because I was putting him in. More often than not the team who dominates with firepower will win the point, am I right?
Thats as basic as it gets, but you could also then track the amount of kills I get from the balls I shoot, which would give you a great reading if you were a snake player, but a shocking reading if you were a back centre who was just closing a lane down.

I think it could be interesting! :)

karseras69

Platinum Member
Sep 9, 2006
Canterbury, Kent
Its not a shock reading if thats what their job is. some of these back player are going in with upwards of 8 pods. Something tells me that that they know most of his balls won't be killing players.

Amac

ThisISPaintball.ca
Nov 15, 2006
Somewhere in Canada
thisispaintball.ca
Video of the install of the chip into a Planet Eclipse Ego is now online.

Not sure if the embeded video function will work but here goes nothing.

The data in its final software format is shown for a brief moment or two in the video but like it was pointed out if you non stop shoot your marker that will show that you are firing all the time but does that mean that your making hits or doing a good job no. Much like stats in any sport it all depends on how they are used. I think the best use is the break out so you can see which team is shooting more paint off the break also you can see where one team really does take a huge step ahead in game play.

@Bolter I don't think any of the images are linking to any website (only from where they are hosted on Facebook) but if I am going against any of the rules please let me know. Just wanted to share the changes in the NPPL for 2012 with European players as this technology might make it's way over to events like the MS at some point.

Last edited: