Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Take me down to tha Taliban City

Hotpoint

Pompey Paintballer
Re: Re: Not to change the subject but--

Originally posted by Baca Loco

...but IF the Royal Navy had not been interfering with legitimate shipping and sailors in contravention of international maritime law

As to why Canada...

(1) and see the result? a massive inferiority complex and a subversive French minority. :D
From the British perspective our interferance with US Shipping was justified by the fact that the United States was trading with Napoleonic France with whom we were at war. Although the USA was technically neutral your enemies friend is your enemy ;)

Actually most Canadians I've talked to love the War of 1812 because it was not British Regulars but initially Canadian Militia who repulsed the American invasion and then went on to seize Detroit (temporarily) in retaliation

Baca Loco

Ex-Fun Police
Not to change the subject but--

Originally posted by Hotpoint
(1) Canada stayed British
(1) and see the result? a massive inferiority complex and a subversive French minority. :D

Originally posted by Hotpoint From the British perspective our interferance with US Shipping was justified by the fact that the United States was trading with Napoleonic France with whom we were at war. Although the USA was technically neutral your enemies friend is your enemy
And the American sailors impressed? And who else's ships were y'all screwing around with?
C'mon, Hotpoint, you gotta do better than that. :p
Actually most Canadians I've talked to love the War of 1812 because it was not British Regulars but initially Canadian Militia who repulsed the American invasion and then went on to seize Detroit (temporarily) in retaliation
Now that's truly sad. Brits and Canucks reduced to remembering fondly minor events 2 centuries in the past. Tells ya somethin' don't it? :)

Hotpoint

Pompey Paintballer

And the American sailors impressed? And who else's ships were y'all screwing around with?
C'mon, Hotpoint, you gotta do better than that. :p

Now that's truly sad. Brits and Canucks reduced to remembering fondly minor events 2 centuries in the past. Tells ya somethin' don't it? :)
Given that Brittania Ruled the Waves at the time... we "screwed around" with just about everybody we felt like. The Royal Navy actually destroyed the Danish Fleet in Port around this time because they *might* have been used by Napoleon (the problem with being a Superpower is the tendency it gives you to throw your weight around and make enemies... a lesson for the present global situation methinks)

The R.N. certainly pressed-ganged off US Ships but remember that many, if not most, "American" Sailors at the time were actually British born and I've read that it was generally these that got themselves involuntarily inducted into His Majesties Navy

Okay we Brits and the Canucks agree to never mention the War of 1812 again because it happened 2 Centuries ago. I assume you will reciprocate and not hold the July 4th Holiday next year :D

Also please change the US National Anthem to remove all references to the War of 1812 yourselves :p

Baca Loco

Ex-Fun Police

the problem with being a Superpower is the tendency it gives you to throw your weight around and make enemies... a lesson for the present global situation methinks)
Before you know y'all be behaving like the French, oui, non, oui, non, oui, non :p

The R.N. certainly pressed-ganged off US Ships but remember that many, if not most, "American" Sailors at the time were actually British born and I've read that it was generally these that got themselves involuntarily inducted into His Majesties Navy
Oh, sure, that makes it OK. As long as they were checking birth certificates.:rolleyes: ;)

My god

The first time I look at this thread and its about Taliban City, now where in a full blown history session. How the hell did that happen? My god. NEways, AC was a blast, we won 5man and took 6th in 10man (lost only two games the whole tournament and take 6th, bullcrap). And it your wondering why we played Amateur B this time when we play Am. A in Vegas, its because we replaced 4 players on the team between the two tournaments and all the players we lost were Am. A and the new ones were all Am. B, so we'll be B for World cup and then go A again. Later paters.
Iaquinta

Hotpoint

Pompey Paintballer
My god

Originally posted by PGI's Chris Iaquinta
The first time I look at this thread and its about Taliban City, now where in a full blown history session
Think of it as a Hotpoint/Baca co-production designed to raise the level of P8ntballer discourse :p

Now the question is... are you learning anything?

Physics, Philosophy, History... Hotpoint thread hijackings run the whole gambit ;)

Nah, I mean tha other Earth Summit...

tha one that the world's leading pollutant and self-appointed guardian of tha free world thinks is unimportant, blissfully unaware - or unbothered - that it sends tha message out that, for the umpteenth time, us Americans really do only give two ****s about ourselves and our own interests. That one...

Am I a watermelon? What, a big ol' fruit? I don't think so...I did turn into a breadfruit for a few hours once, but peyoye'll do that to a boy...

Hotpoint

Pompey Paintballer

Before you know y'all be behaving like the French, oui, non, oui, non, oui, non :p

Oh, sure, that makes it OK. As long as they were checking birth certificates.:rolleyes: ;)
As an Englishman I insist on your retracting the "like the French" comment. Duels have been fought for far less heinous accusations :D

Chances are they checked accents rather than documents but I'm more than willing to accept that many American-Born Sailors were also impressed illegally

The analogy with the present day I was drawing is one in which a Superpower ignored international law for what they considered good (though short-term) strategic reasons. In this particular instance the other party disagreed and considered these actions a valid cassus belli (cause for war)

Personally I'd say that if you want the moral high-ground it's best to always stick to the letter of the law ;p

Talking about the moral high-ground, and returning to topic, I still have a problem with "Taliban City"

Baca Loco

Ex-Fun Police
Guys, y'all are just too much fun

Ah, where to begin---
Chris, if you changed out four guys that left 6 guys who played Am A in Vegas, right? Don't the rules state no more than 3 Am A players on a B (Nov) roster? [I'm asked not only to be a pain but as it has potential implications for me too]

Maestro, any serious discussion needs to begin with per capita valuations and agreed definitions of pollutants, etc. Folks bandy about all sorts of hysterical numbers and wild claims but there's damn little real science going on and until the politicization of the subject diminishes and a reasonable ground laid for thoughtful, practical debate heads of state taking photo ops does little more than pacify temporarily certain groups in various homelands. Just MHO, of course. :)
BTW, watermelon--green on the outside, pink on the inside.:D

Hotpoint, accent may be indicative of origin but certainly not of citizenship. Brit born is a bogus argument, they knew it then, you know it now. :p French, French, French, French :eek:

Unfortunately, the high moral ground and international law frequently have nothing in common as international law is a misnomer of epic proportions for what we're mostly willing to abide by for the time being.