Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Tank fright?

Marin

Jun 6, 2014
Hi guys,
I'm looking for your advice, because some of you have much more knowledge and experience than me and my friends. When I removed the cover of the tank I saw a little hole. I'm scared now. Maybe the hole is too deep. What do you think, is there a dangerous risk?

Attachments

mikey1975

Morning Wood Walking Dead
Oct 2, 2009
Stockport
Hard to say from looking at the photo I'd say it's just a chip in the lacquer noting to worry about imo

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
That looks more than a chip in the top laquer
If it goes into the fibre then it's heading to failure of a visuals inspection

However it's not about to explode in your face, there is aluminium down below and a number of fibre layers

It ought to be looked at by someone competent

BOD

The brotherhood
Aug 1, 2003
YORK
Visit site
I agree with Tom, that's more than i little hole and it looks like it would definitely fail a bottle test.

Liam92

#16 Reading Entity
Nov 4, 2009
Glasgow, Scotland
as already explained, its just damage to the protective cover and hasn't damaged the tank itself. just keep a cover on it to protect that exposed spot in the future.

BOD

The brotherhood
Aug 1, 2003
YORK
Visit site
That is more than just a chip to the protective cover, if it has cut into the fibres of the bottle it is in weakening the integrity of the bottle. The fibres of a fibre wrap bottle are not just a cover protecting the aluminium bottle core they are part of the bottle structure.

niloc65

Aka Colin
Oct 4, 2013
Worthing - West Sussex
Is your or someone else's life worth the risk. Get it seen by a professional tank inspector and see if they condemn the bottle. It could be repaired, but again by a professional.

Marin

Jun 6, 2014
I see there is no accord. The another problem is that in my country there aren't professionals who understand carbon tanks but no one's life is worth the risk and that's way I'll remove it.
Thank you very much.

Reactions: Bolter

Dave284

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2008
That is more than just a chip to the protective cover, if it has cut into the fibres of the bottle it is in weakening the integrity of the bottle. The fibres of a fibre wrap bottle are not just a cover protecting the aluminium bottle core they are part of the bottle structure.
There's two different scenarios here and both are completely contrary.

1) It's just a chip in the lacquer. A lot of companies now are lacquering their bottles to add another layer, plus it's black and looks cool. This would mean it would be fine
2) It's a chip that has gone through to the fibre and is dangerous

If you have any common sense, you'd take it to a professional, a dive tank shop or HPAC at an event. When you're playing with compressed air, it's always better to AIR on the side of caution.

Reactions: Gadget