Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Technology?

manike

INCEPTIONDESIGNS.COM
Jul 9, 2001
Cloud 9
www.inceptiondesigns.com
Well since I don't have the muscles to do it the other way...

Actually I used to enjoy genetics (should I be admitting that? :eek: :) ) It used to be a double period on a Friday afternoon back when I did my A-levels and the teacher soon gave up on getting any work done or sense out of us so we used to just mess around with drosophila (fruit flys) and talk about the evenings plans, beer and girls...

Must have learnt something though as Drosphila came up in the exam and I passed. :eek:

Kinda funky getting bugs to grow legs out of their eyes and all sorts of weird mutations...

maybe we could apply this technique of genetic engineering to create the ultimate X-ball players... skinny small guys who can play with boths hands and never get tired... tempting huh?

manike

Hotpoint

Pompey Paintballer

Originally posted by manike
maybe we could apply this technique of genetic engineering to create the ultimate X-ball players... skinny small guys who can play with boths hands and never get tired... tempting huh?
Good grief the threads still going... oh well onto Genetics

I'd say that with Genetic Engineering still very much in its infancy we'd be better off with a program of selective breeding....

Told you I was a Nietzchean :D

Now the question is what players do we put out to stud? :p

manike

INCEPTIONDESIGNS.COM
Jul 9, 2001
Cloud 9
www.inceptiondesigns.com
Re: Well since I don't have the muscles to do it the other way...

Originally posted by Hotpoint
I'd say that with Genetic Engineering still very much in its infancy we'd be better off with a program of selective breeding....
Selective breeding is a form of genetic engineering and one that we have been doing for thousands of years.

manike

manike

INCEPTIONDESIGNS.COM
Jul 9, 2001
Cloud 9
www.inceptiondesigns.com
Nope I'm not, but selective breeding is the manipulation of selected genes via the gene pool.

I'm not sure what the actual text book definition of genetic engineering is, but I believed what we were doing with drosophila was termed GE and didn't involve anything other than rapid breeding of different strains. I expect Cube could help us out here :)

manike

manike

INCEPTIONDESIGNS.COM
Jul 9, 2001
Cloud 9
www.inceptiondesigns.com
Further...

I guess selective breeding isn't covered by the text book definition of GE.

"genetic engineering
n.
Scientific alteration of the structure of genetic material in a living organism. It involves the production and use of recombinant DNA"

where's Cube when you need him? :)

manike

Jake

r o o k i e .... my arse!
Apr 11, 2002
Chelmsford, UK
Visit site
Did you read my link on Descartes Manike?

I was dead chuffed with that ..... thought it might make me look intellecteral :rolleyes:

I'm glad the debate didn't generate into a "my cognitive capacity is bigger than your intellectual aptitude, so nah nah ne nah nah!" type of a thing ...... much ;)

At the very least it kept me entertained at work ... at best it has broadened the horizons of some ..... well done guys 'n' gals!

manike

INCEPTIONDESIGNS.COM
Jul 9, 2001
Cloud 9
www.inceptiondesigns.com
Thankyou Jake I did. Still not completely sure I got what Pete was on about though.

I did some philosophy at school and enjoyed it, but ultimately I'm an engineer and I like to be in the 'real world' :)

manike

Hotpoint

Pompey Paintballer
Originally posted by Jake
I'm glad the debate didn't generate into a "my cognitive capacity is bigger than your intellectual aptitude, so nah nah ne nah nah!" type of a thing ...... much
It didn't? Damn couldn't have been trying hard enough :p

Always glad to entertain :)

Personally I did a year of Philosophy at University... then gave it up for the slightly more grounded disipline of Political Science

And still no suggestions from anyone for my breeding program ?

Flash-Bugout

doin' other stuffs
Jul 6, 2001
need to get hold of Tank for an exit

Originally posted by Hotpoint
Now the question is what players do we put out to stud? :p
I'm sure that players going out to stud is a waste of time, now that all the women in the world have topped themselves, down to Robbo no longer being available. :eek:

Quick, sombody call a priest, I think I was possesed for a moment then - some unknown force made my fingers type that above line. I apologise to one and all! :D :p